This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put my phone back the way it was!

One of the annoying things about working in the wireless business is that software updates are typically pushed out to phones every year or so and they frequently change and/or remove otherwise good functions and add apps/software for functions most people will most likely never use (Samsung's Galaxy Gear enhancements for Android 4.4.2 for example).

Software updates do sometimes cause improvements as well, but it's never all one way or all the other way. It's always a few improvements and a few things people are bound to not like.

Now, I could write a whole separate post on my feelings for 4.4.2, but the main point of this post is that customers simply do not understand how permanent these software updates are:

- No, I can't undo the visual changes the update caused

- No, I can't magically bring back that setting that was there before.

- No, I can't make that accessory work like it used to, even though it "damned well should"

- No, my manager can't do any of these things.

- No, our CEO can't do any of these things either

- No, we don't owe you a different phone because you "refuse to accept" the changes

- No, that doesn't mean you can get out of your contract without a cancellation fee.

- No, having to install a software update is not grounds to sue us, but feel free to waste your time trying.

- I am not a software developer, for the most part I have little to no insight as to why these changes were made...and no, I can't call the phone manufacturer to find out.

The truth is that in fact it IS possible to undo a software update and restore a phone to a previous firmware, but doing so voids the warranty and it's also something that only the very technically inclined (which most of my customers aren't) should even consider attempting as, if it's done incorrectly, it can brick your phone and leave you with a very expensive paperweight.

So I don't even mention that to the customers at all. From a general consumer perspective, the software updates are more or less irreversible.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Here the ancient wisdom of the High Priest of the Mighty Computer...

Yea, verily, it is written in the scriptures since the ancient days when IBM and Mainframe were the gods in this land, that thou shalt read the Release Notes and not apply any update that thou dost not need. No computer since hath ever obeyed any other law, nor is any phone anything other than a computer, which is born to sin.

For yea verily every update that is not forced upon thee by the need to not have thy program crash every five minutes, is a Bad Update and will bring thee much wailing and gnashing of teeth, for it will cause thy program to crash every five minutes, whereupon thou shalt wait till hell freezes over for the update that fixeth that bug.

I the High Priest have spoken, and so shall it be, for ever and ever. Amen

Comment

The only addendum I would add is that Knox can die in a fire.
      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
      And it's not what I wanted to be
      The weight on me
      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth AngloSaxonViking View Post
        Yea, verily, it is written in the scriptures since the ancient days when IBM and Mainframe were the gods in this land, that thou shalt read the Release Notes and not apply any update that thou dost not need. No computer since hath ever obeyed any other law, nor is any phone anything other than a computer, which is born to sin.

For yea verily every update that is not forced upon thee by the need to not have thy program crash every five minutes, is a Bad Update and will bring thee much wailing and gnashing of teeth, for it will cause thy program to crash every five minutes, whereupon thou shalt wait till hell freezes over for the update that fixeth that bug.

This is so beautiful, I want to send it to everyone I know...!
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Your ideas are intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Your ideas are intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
            Newsletter? Pssh. So old-fashioned.

Subscribe to his tumblr.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yea, verily, it is written in the scriptures since the ancient days when IBM and Mainframe were the gods in this land, that thou shalt read the Release Notes and not apply any update that thou dost not need.
              My understanding of the OP is that the updates being "pushed out" means that they are auto-installed through the network, whether the user wants them or not.

IMNSHO, this is a security breach (in that the wireless carrier allows unauthorized changes to the operating system on the customer's phone). If the update disables a feature which the customer had been using, then the carrier has allowed their system to be used to install malware on the customer's phone. The carrier has shown that their network was not secure (otherwise the malware wouldn't have been installed), violating the implied warranty of merchantibility on their services.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yup. I got an update pushed out onto my phone recently, which has dramatically shortened the apparent battery life: IE, the update has some gadget, gizmo or app which uses more power than I had been using.

I need to go through my running-background-apps and BURN IT WITH NAPALM. The app, not the phone.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

This is why I don't update my tablet. It's been bugging me for months. I ignore it. It's running 4.2.2. Last time I updated it the GMail app got worse, and Google Talk was replaced by Hangouts (though, that's being officially forced come May 15, anyway). I don't want any more updates if that's the kind of stuff they'll do.

My phone is running 4.0.4. It doesn't seem to even check for updates, much less try to install them. And I'm ok with that.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

this is a very common error that the idiotic, functionally illiterate, lazy, inscrutable, unintelligible, quite possibly inbred for many generations, unmotivated and apathetic typical wireless customer makes. They think the carrier, the manufacturer and the OS developers are all the same entity. This is only common to wireless. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW. Imagine complaining to your gas station about how they should give you free gas because your trunk wont close properly. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!!? WHERE DO THEY WORK?!?! I would LOVE, it would give me sexual gratification to find out where they worked and pull these asinine antics at their places of business.

Yes. This industry is literally driving me insane.

Comment

Quoth icantbelievethesepeople View Post
                      this is a very common error that the idiotic, functionally illiterate, lazy, inscrutable, unintelligible, quite possibly inbred for many generations, unmotivated and apathetic typical wireless customer makes. They think the carrier, the manufacturer and the OS developers are all the same entity. This is only common to wireless. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW. Imagine complaining to your gas station about how they should give you free gas because your trunk wont close properly. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?!!? WHERE DO THEY WORK?!?! I would LOVE, it would give me sexual gratification to find out where they worked and pull these asinine antics at their places of business.

Yes. This industry is literally driving me insane.
                      I suspect that it's because they (mostly) have to get the device from the carrier, and most cartiers go to great lengths to brand the phones with all manner of shit with the carrier's name and logo. Making it hard for the clueless to have any idea what's going on.
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        I suspect that it's because they (mostly) have to get the device from the carrier, and most cartiers go to great lengths to brand the phones with all manner of shit with the carrier's name and logo. Making it hard for the clueless to have any idea what's going on.
                        I'd suspect the same thing. "You sold me this piece of hardware. You allowed a software package that I never asked for to auto-install itself through your network and disable a feature I was using. Doesn't matter whether the fault is with something you provide directly (wireless service) or indirectly (hardware/software), it's in something I got through you - you fix it."
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I'd suspect the same thing. "You sold me this piece of hardware. You allowed a software package that I never asked for to auto-install itself through your network and disable a feature I was using. Doesn't matter whether the fault is with something you provide directly (wireless service) or indirectly (hardware/software), it's in something I got through you - you fix it."
                          Pretty much. Add on the fact that most phone software is preloaded with any number of carrier specific apps and it just muddies the waters even more.

With Android it's interesting because you have Google as the base developer of the software, the phone manufacturers who then put their own spin on it and then the carriers who often tweak it a bit themselves. That's a lot of cooks in the broth and sometimes it's tricky to figure out who to blame.

Another reason the carrier is the target is because of the marketing. They are primarily the ones who advertise the phones and their features, thus customers think the carriers are responsible for absolutely everything to do with a device.
                          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

frequently change and/or remove otherwise good functions and add apps/software for functions most people will most likely never use (Samsung's Galaxy Gear enhancements for Android 4.4.2 for example).
                            I ... actually really want a Galaxy Gear. I know they're crap, and way too expensive, but it's a wrist communicator! I want one! I'll feel like a space marine!

I figure when Apple inevitably comes out with their version everyone will buy it and then Android makers will churn them out at half the price and I can get one.

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                              I ... actually really want a Galaxy Gear. I know they're crap, and way too expensive, but it's a wrist communicator!
                              It's a secondary screen is all. If it actually WAS a fully featured phone, they'd sell far more of them!
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                              X