Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it about restaurant playplaces?

Now that I'm starting to get settled in to my new job at a burger joint, I'm finding that, for some reason, restaurant playplaces bring out the worst in people. That's usually where I find the dirtiest tables, but this is the first time I've really been motivated to rant about it, because today, in one of the corners of the room, someone left an entire table covered in trash and the remains of a half-eaten meal. I'm talking about bags and wrappers everywhere, cups with some soda still left in them, disgusting soaked-through paper saucers of dressing sticking to the table, a never-even-eaten-from sleeve of fries spilling on the table... so much stuff that I for some time wasn't even sure they weren't planning to come back for it. Of course there were loose fries and caked-on soda gunk on the floor around that table too. You know, I expect this from kids, because they're too young to know better, but you'd think the adults watching over them would care enough to pick up.

When I mentioned this to one of the veteran employees, he expressed a complete lack of surprise and told me of a lady who, I wish I was making this up, let her five-year-old open salt shakers and throw the salt everywhere. Instead of stopping him, she just moved into the main lobby and ate there because she "didn't want to watch".

What is it about these playplaces that makes adults behave like children?

tl;dr Irresponsible parents, grrrrrrr.
    Just stay out of the "workplace memes" thread. Please. I mean it.

Play equipment = kids area = free babysitter. Therefore it's OK to dump their little darlings in there to eat with no supervision. Now I don't fault parents for wanting five minutes of peace and quiet or at least the chance to stuff food in their craw without fending off food moochers (hell I want and I don't even have kids, just a disabled husband and a dachshund), but they need to do what our parents did: pay someone to watch their minions when they need time alone.
    Last edited by MadMike; 03-30-2016, 10:09 PM. Reason: Please refer to the "Nicknames for children" thread in Site News
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

At least that area is designed for kids, unlike oh, say, the toy aisle at a thrift store.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        At least that area is designed for kids, unlike oh, say, the toy aisle at a thrift store.
        Funny you should mention that; someone I know works in a thrift store and the toy aisles are pretty much a permanent disaster area. Parents let their kids run riot in that aisle and never pick up after them or require them to pick up after themselves. Sometimes, when I go there looking for them, I find myself kicking toys out of the middle of the floor so people don't trip on them.

She herself has plenty of stories she could tell, if she was on this site.

Comment

Not to play "topper" here, but when I worked at King of Burgers (a small franchised one), I was told by an employee that another employee and her boyfriend had sex in the ball pit after hours...
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

For all of Arby's flaws, at least they don't have play areas.
            I'm so glad.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
              For all of Arby's flaws, at least they don't have play areas.
              I'm so glad.
              Yeah, it seems like, wherever there are toys or bright colors or other "kiddy" stuff around, adults sink to the level of children.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                Not to play "topper" here, but when I worked at King of Burgers (a small franchised one), I was told by an employee that another employee and her boyfriend had sex in the ball pit after hours...
                Suddenly an extra hour in the ball pit seems a lot less interesting.

...or does it?
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  You know I'm having trouble deciding which part of this is worst. Kids playing in the ball pit after people shagging in it, or shagging in a ball pit after kids have played in it.
                  Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

My son used to work at a McDonald's as a maintenance person, and his biggest complaint was having to reset the alarm for the idiots who used the emergency exit as a regular exit. Sure, there was a kid or two who did it, not knowing any better, but most of the time it was an adult who didn't want to walk the 10 feet or so to the regular exit.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

So maybe it's just fast food that brings out the worst in people?

Comment

They are puked in and peed in
                        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                          Aaagh! I so did not need to read that.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

...or does it?
                          Depends on how hard the balls are.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

...or does it?
                            Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                            Depends on how hard the balls are.

So glad I was in between bites of my snack. Broccoli through the nose would hurt. A lot.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Sadly you don't even need a kids area.... this happened in my country recently (not my city, small comfort that is) ...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fo...land-McDonalds
                              "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                              Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Working...
                              X