This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have plenty to do, thanks.

Does anybody else dislike "funny" customers?

Public library employee here. Had this customer awhile back. We'd been really busy and my coworkers and I had been run off our feet for a long time. I was on the service desk when it finally slowed down and we got a chance to rest and catch our breath. I sat down and started to check my email while I rested, but had barely gotten the first one open when a customer I'll call Jackass walked up to the desk and brayed loud enough for everybody in the library to hear "YOU LOOK LIKE YOU NEED SOMETHING TO DO" and started chuckling at his own wit. har, har, har I was exhausted and before I could stop myself, I gave him a dirty look. I guess he realized he wasn't as funny as he thought he was, because he fell all over himself apologizing and I had to put on my customer service skills and act like I wasn't offended.

Not a big incident, but it really pissed me off. Just because somebody doesn't look busy, doesn't mean they aren't. The whole staff had been working our asses off and this guy made it sound like we were being lazy, just so he could make a stupid joke. And I was in fact working on something.

At least he apologized. Worse is when they act all offended that you weren't amused at their "joke" and they say, "What's the matter, aintcha got a sense of humor?!" (I have a brilliant sense of humor, sir. That's why I didn't laugh. You're not funny.)
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Once when an elderly man tried the whole 'You look bored' shtick, I told him "I haven't been bored since 1976". It's always satisfying to see the deflated look of butthurt on their faces when you have a comeback for their repetitive 'jokes'

Comment

HMMMMMM

Convenance store clerk at the time ---

OHHHHH I just printed that $100 bill. sorry the ink is still wet
        OOOOOHHHHHHH that will not scan. I guess IT is FREE
        OHHHHH You look bored .
        OOOHHHH <whatever>

Can I just hit you a few times with a crowbar PLEASE???????
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Heh, I did shut down the whole "I just printed this" 'jokers' a few times when I worked in retail. I'd tell them "I'm sorry, I can't accept this, you've stated that it's counterfeit. One moment please while I call the Treasury Department to notify them. What did you say your name was?"
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

if I ask you if you need a hand just say yes or no don't make a joke about clapping or counting the number of hands you have.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Those "jokes" are never funny but it's also more annoying when someone says it just after it gets quiet when it's been ridiculously busy. Assholes.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I get that all of the time; people lined up at the door at opening time, busy all day long, and FINALLY get a small break in the flow of business to start working on the daily paperwork...when yet another customer walks in and promptly declares, "You look bored!"

I usually drop my paperwork and help customers immediately when they walk in. Those hilarious people, though, get to wait until I'm done filing whatever form I'm working on.
                "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I always hated that too. yes, I might be standing and catching my breath, but what you don't know is I just rang up umpteen customers, ran around like a headless chicken finding sizes, colors, etc. for others in the fitting room, just finished putting away, folding, hanging etc. an ENTIRE rolling rack of clothes FROM said fitting room, oh, and answered several inane customer phone calls in between all of that.

So freaking excuse me if I stopped for 2 seconds to catch my breath, esp since this usually was at night, and I'd ALREADY worked a full day at my FT job.

But sadly, I was never able to say anything, just had to suck up and be nice. But it really did irk me, esp since we had a lot of customers who came to work there, and most, once they found out it was actually WORK, didn't last long.

Comment

I get both ends of the spectrum.

On the one hand, I get customers who barge into my office and demand my attention even though I've got another customer's documents spread out on my desk. They assume I'm not busy and don't give me time to clear off my desk.

On the other hand, there's customers who stop in the doorway and say "I can come back if you're busy" even when there's only one sheet of paper on my desk. Yes, I'm working on something, but my job is to help customers, so give me just one second to clear off my desk and I'll help you.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

From retail days I remember "are you working hard, or hardly working?" as one I got ALL THE FREAKING time that isn't already listed.

At work now, I get the panicked emergency (just in their own minds) calls while I'm meeting with someone else. I generally ignore the phone calls.

Comment

At work when I yawn I often get "Bored? You need something to do?" from customers. Then I get to say, "No, I just get up at 4:45 am every day." and watch their faces.
                        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

"Sorry, am I interrupting your breakfast?"

I've been up since 4am, this is my lunch.

Flipside:

{One of a million cop-outs about how the ticket machine outside is incomprehensible or failing to accept their remuneration, etc. & so forth.}

My job is literally to sell you the tickets you desire. You don't need to apologise or make excuses in order to make use of my services; just cut to the chase already!
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'm thinking of making a T-shirt that says "WARNING: THINKS HE'S FUNNY".

Because sometimes I really am that guy....
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                              I'm thinking of making a T-shirt that says "WARNING: THINKS HE'S FUNNY".

Because sometimes I really am that guy....
                              Ooh, I think an awful lot of women would buy that one for the men in their lives, or more likely, their exes.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X