Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I am tired of hearing (feel free to add your own!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things I am tired of hearing (feel free to add your own!)

* People who work weekends are tired of hearing how happy you are that it's Friday.

* People who work inside and can't leave are tired of hearing how nice the weather is. Why don't you just punch us in the face and be done with it?

* People who work in the mall are tired of hearing how busy the parking lot is. If it gets busy, we're stuck dealing with it either way. Why give us a warning when we can't run and save ourselves?

* People who spend time making the sales signs are tired of hearing that they're false advertising. It's not false advertising if you didn't read it all, and it's particularly galling when we've spent actual time trying to make the "fine print" as clear and obvious as possible.
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Please don't make yourself feel "empathetic" by saying "Sorry you have to work" <this holiday>.

I work in a pharmacy. We are open 365 days a year. So, yes, we work holidays. I don't mind ....

IF you're in to get a remedy for your baby's croup
    IF you're in to get medicine because there was an accident
    IF you're in because you got sent directly from the ER/urgent care
    IF you're in to get maintenance medicine that we didn't have yesterday and special ordered for you

I DO MIND .... if you're in to get cigarettes, beer, candy, or those "sparkly things"
    I DO MIND .... if you're in because you don't WANT (whine) to go to Walmart. Yes I know it's crazy busy there and you can't park right outside the door. And yes I know that you don't like shopping with "those people" (whoever *they* might be that you disapprove of). But guess what??

Walmart is a 24/7 all-encompassing store. When I worked there, I KNEW it was my job to work all hours/all days. I now work in a DRUGSTORE. We sell drugs/medicine. We are NOT here to sell you s**t on a holiday just because you don't want to go to Walmart.

So don't give me that "oh I feel sorry for you" crap as I'm ringing up your chips and candy and beer and cigarettes and "oh isn't this cute!" Tshirt. Go to Walmart and let me take care of people that are actually ..... you know .... SICK!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      Please don't make yourself feel "empathetic" by saying "Sorry you have to work" <this holiday>.
      Further to that, it's particularly galling because if people didn't shop on holidays, workers wouldn't need to work on holidays. A little different in your case because genuine emergencies can happen, but I work in a department store. Nothing we sell, literally nothing, can be considered an emergency that you couldn't plan for/get another day.

SO YES BARBARA IT IS A PITY THAT I HAVE TO WORK THIS ST. SWITHINS DAY, BUT IF YOU HAD STAYED HOME INSTEAD OF DECIDING YOU JUST /HAD/ TO HAVE THAT SEQUINED BOOB TUBE, I COULD HAVE STAYED HOME TOO. PS YOU'RE FORTY AND I FEEL MORALLY OBLIGATED TO TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE TOO OLD FOR SAID BOOB TUBE.
      Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

I am tired of hearing people say "you missed a bit" or "you can do mine when you're finished" when cleaning the shop windows because the boss is too tight to pay for an actual window cleaner. It's not the first time I've heard it, in fact I hear it at least once a day.

I am tired of people asking "are you closing down?" with glee just because we have a sale on. No, we are not closing down, but IF we were, it would mean we would all be out of jobs, so a little less excitement in your voice would be nice.

I am sick of people saying "is there a man here that can fix my jewellery /change a watch battery for me / give me a price for something?". Just because I am not a man does not mean that I am completely incapable of everything and should remain at home in my kitchen! (Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather be there than here any day, but I need to pay rent in order to have a kitchen).

Comment

"What do you mean you close in ten minutes? I need this (completely ornamental widget) TONIGHT! I'm only sixty two miles away, you have to wait! What kind of store closes at only 11pm anyway?!"

More times than I can count.

Comment

*item doesn't scan* "Oh that means it's free, right?"
            *checking a $50 or $100* "The ink should be dry (or some other variation implying they printed it themselves)" or "that BETTER be good I just got it from the bank."
            "But the guy/girl TOLD me..." (fill in the blank with whatever the customer was NOT supposed to get/do/have access to, but insists they want/are entitled to)

Comment

This isn't directly from customers, and the co-workers in question aren't being sucky about it, but I do get tired of hearing that some customer "just returned something X minutes ago, and they're saying it's still on their library card/need to check out, ....etc." (Especially annoying when it's one of those times where everyone seems to "have" to return their library materials at once, so we're really busy in the staff work area.)

A few other things I get tired of hearing:

- "That must keep you busy!" (in reference to having to clean up blocks, puzzle pieces, and/or magnets in the children's room".

- "Where are your books on the 3rd grade reading level?" (just an example, we do not/never have organized library books that way)

- "What books do you have that would fit..... (name of some reading program at their child's school, and that I have never heard of)
              Last edited by KellyHabersham; 09-03-2016, 03:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add a few things

Comment

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
                People who work inside and can't leave are tired of hearing how nice the weather is. Why don't you just punch us in the face and be done with it?
                Working outside or non HIVAC controlled area have the boss or office types or customers come out in the warehouse or range and comment how it's hot/cold/wet/nice whatever.
                Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 09-04-2016, 07:35 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tag
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
                  * People who work weekends are tired of hearing how happy you are that it's Friday.
                  In retail, we make our own Fridays.

Every other week, I get TWO "Fridays". I love it.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

This: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=115595

Also, anyone who throws a tantrum cuz I won't let them in at closing time. I don't give a rat's arse that you're running on fumes/need fags/need milk/have no life and want to come in cuz this is your only attempt at having a social life. It's a) against the law to let you in and b) time for me to go home after having been here for eight hours.
                    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

I'm really tired of the company reminding us (via the terminal) to only park in the overflow parking lot. 12 times per day. For the past 3 months.
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working Christmas is the worst. They've started closing our pharmacy on holidays so that means that Monday our pharmacy staff will be home while the rest of us have to deal with it. Okay, not me I'm actually off.

Anyway, working in photo "Does it really take a half-hour for my pictures?" Well, now that depends. If the lab is busy or your order is large, it may take longer, if not and you're nice, I'll do what I can.
                        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                          Anyway, working in photo "Does it really take a half-hour for my pictures?" Well, now that depends. If the lab is busy or your order is large, it may take longer, if not and you're nice, I'll do what I can.
                          These people astound me. If you want your photo that fast, buy a digital camera. I'm told Polaroids are making a comeback, too.

These individuals would have a stroke at the way it used to be. Most places didn't develop photos in-house. They were often sent off to a lab somewhere, which was usually local if you were in a large city. If you WEREN'T in a large city, it might be up to two weeks to get your photos.

Comment

I hear, "You're retired? Must be nice." I worked for my retirement, and the only reason why I'm retired now is because my job came to a screeching halt when our client went with voice-recognition software and didn't tell us until our work dwindled to nothing. (Not that I'm bitter, you understand. Actually, the only part that really irks me is the fact that the client didn't bother to let the people who were actually transcribing the dictations know they were going to VR until it was a done deal.)

Comment

"Is the station open this weekend?" Yes, unless it happens to be Xmas Day. But what you really mean is "is there service?" And if you're asking on a day when there's no service, do not follow up with "then why are you here?" I'm here specifically to answer idiotic questions from braindead morons that can't read/see the 7 signs you've had to pass to reach this point.

"Are there no trains to X today?" - weekend edition: As I've told you weekly for longer than I care to think about, we never have service to X from here on Saturdays before 8:30am, and never on Sundays at any time. Yes, really.

"Are the trains running to X today?" - working weekday edition. Yes. It's a working weekday. They almost never stop services from running on weekdays because that's where the big money comes from. In fact, in the last 8 years I've been doing this, I don't even need to take my shoes & socks off to count how often they've stopped services on a working weekday due to works.

"Are they all cancelled then?" No, just that one. One example does not constitute a representative sampling. If you see a red car drive down the road, do you instantly assume that all cars must be red, or that all red things must be cars? No. Apply a little scientific rigour please.

"Is it cheaper to use {prepayment card} to go to..." Yes. That's the whole point. "But what if I..." Still yes, unless it's that exceedingly rare occasion where it's exactly the same price as not using it. The odds are ever in your favour, so just use it, okay?

I can't think of a suitable example of phrasing, but I'm also fed up to the back teeth of hearing people trying to explain in words of less than one syllable what kind of ticket they need. I get it, you may not be used to doing this, but I am. Just spit it out! "What kind of ticket do I need if I want to go to X and return?" A return to X! Easy, isn't it? (This one actually happened verbatim!)

And yes, it's TO. If you say "from," I'll ask you where you're going to. "But I'm returning from there!" Yes, and to do that you need to go to there. See how this works? Don't look at me as if I'm the stupid one; try asking a travel agent for a ticket from somewhere and see what happens!

Also, "return" strongly implies that your journey shall conclude at the same place it initiates. You can't go from X to Y and return to Z if Z wasn't somewhere you've already been.

Finally... There's no such thing as a "Family ticket," and hasn't been since before you first learned how to procreate. Stop acting as if I've kicked your puppy and suck it up.

Oh dear. That's gone a bit ranty. If I've overshared, I apologise!
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
                              X