This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
    eta: it's a fun show so far, it's just really hard to swallow. At least Fringe tries to offer up a scientific explanation.
    I've been reading the forums on Television without Pity and someone posted a link to an interview with one of the writers or someone (which I did not read) and supposedly they have a plausible scientific explanation that they ran by a physicist and everything...wonder how long it'll take them to get around to telling us what it is...

Quoth Jester View Post
    Also, anyone else notice how everyone's clothes are in good condition and fashionable? This after 15 years of no power, of civilization collapsing. Riiiiiiight.
    Some of the folks on TV without Pity brought this up; with the number of people who must have died in the aftermath of the original event, there would have been plenty of supplies just sitting around in empty stores and houses that they could have stockpiled and stored...clothing could easily still be useable after only 15 years. I have a bigger problem with the idea that they would come across an RV and a plane that hadn't been looted for any useable items a long time ago. Like there'd still be a first aid kit stashed on that plane 15 years later...

You'd think the kids in their late teens/early 20s would be a tad more mature having grown up in such an environment. She seems awfully whiny...more like a modern 16yo than a 20 something that would have had to grow up much faster than she otherwise would have.
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-23-2012, 09:47 PM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Keep in mind that there might be a simple reason for no steam tech seen as of yet: If the local warlords actively keep it suppressed in the same way that they keep firearms suppressed, that would be logical.
      And it could be that the planes were in a landing pattern when the engines failed could cause the spin that we saw?

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
        We were also wondering how the hero uncle became Mr. Sword fighting billy bad ass. From Marine Sargent to lost member of the Three Musketeers?
        Um, several times in the first episode they made it clear that Uncle was already a badass before the Big Blackout.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        clothing could easily still be useable after only 15 years.
        Useable? Certainly. That new and fresh looking? I tend to doubt it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

No. I call BS on the planes falling like they do too.
          It takes a decent amount of effort to put a plane into a flat spin.
          Guns I'm fine with them working. Until all existing ammo is spent. Then its charges and musket ball time.

Quick reply only as I'm going home.
          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I didn't see it, but I read this thread to my husband and he excitedly screams "SEE! I TOLD YOU THOSE PLANES COULDN'T FALL LIKE THAT!". Umm, so yeah....he agrees with the majority.

Comment

are there skid marks or more likely trenches drug behind the plane? because even with no electricity there would still be forward movement.
              Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
              Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Small planes would turn into gliders and probably land just fine, provided they didn't have computerized controls.

Jets would be pretty much lost, with the way they fell based on what they were doing the moment the power disappeared. You can't control a jet that has no power; the yokes are hooked up to a computer that sends the control commands to the hydraulics system that operates the flaps, rudder, etc. The RAT supplements the on-board batteries in the case of engine failure, which would both have been rendered useless in this scenario.

Considering the physics of spins, it's not inconceivable that a goodly number of suddenly stalled aircraft would enter spins, particularly when you add in the loss of all guidance controls.

Quoth Jester View Post
                Considering there are so many different grids and power systems within each country, let alone on different continents, how the hell would all the power go out at once? And even if it DID, how would that affect cars, trains, planes? And have we forgotten that there are these things called generators?
                My guess is that it's a field more than a pulse.

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                It's supposedly some kind of active suppression, which prevents electricity from working at all. (I'm kinda surprised it wouldn't have any effect on nerve/brain cells, but oh well...)
                I would suggest that it only works on non-biological electrical sources. If it's in a body, it's good to go, but if not, then it's suppressed.

I wonder how certain types of jellyfish and eels are doing?

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Just sayin'...
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                    I was going to post that, but thought better. The Gimli Glider still had electronics functioning (when a jet loses power a small wind turbine pops out automatically to supply electricity to systems as is what happened with the glider). An EMP blast would short those out so even if the turbine pops out, the systems are still hosed.

That said, a plane would still be running on forward momentum so it would have a trajectory like a lawn dart as opposed to a cold stop drop.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yes. I read about that. That was some incredibly impressive piloting, and it's probably fortunate for everybody that the front gear didn't lock, causing them to come to a stop rather more quickly than they otherwise might have.

Without the ram air turbinehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine (RAT), which is used to provide the electrical power that the engine generators are no longer providing, the pilots would have been unable to perform any of the maneuvers that allowed them to land without a single injury.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

You can hand make new ammo if you have the equipment, ,and a LOT of folks here in the States do have the hardware and the knowledge.

Comment

That's true. It look's like the show will take place in Illinois (at least to start with). So what is a two days walk from Wrigley Field?

Comment

I saw a snippet of a preview, got excited, immediately thought "dies the fire". Then I did some research on the show, saw a couple trailers, read some articles, got pissed off and was determined to hate it. But, to be fair I forced myself to watch the show.
                            I made it 8 minutes in. The ice cream flashback pissed me off to no end. "Oooh, savor the ice cream, honey, you'll never taste it again!" Goddamnitall there was plenty of "modern" things before there was world-wide electricity. Illinois gets cold enough for ice-houses. All you need is sawdust and lake ice. And who goes hunting in a tanktop? Bugs? Poison ivy? Sun? You are allegedly 20 years old in a world where you should never take food for granted so ball up and get some food for your damn family!
                            And I really don't care about miss forest princess prancing around in ludicrous clothes on a quest. You know what I would rather see? The collapse and rebuilding of society. Far, far more interesting to me.

Comment

Being an Illinois native I just have to say you wouldn't see the buildings of downtown Chicago like that from Pontiac, Illinois. It's on I-55 halfway between Chicago and Bloomington-Normal. It's further south than where I live, and you can't see even the Sears/Willis Tower from here. That shot looked more like it was from the western suburbs. And some of that landscape looked dubious at best.

Having said that, tonight's episode was interesting. They're still kind of setting things up.
                              "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I got lucky and was at the premier I was bound and determined to try and like this show since it is filmed here in my hometown. The first strike was when the extra casting listing went out for women saying only size 2-6 need to apply (I know go cry somewhere else LOL) I was not happy with that at all.

I am not to bothered by the story line but I swear I want to loose what little bit of hearing I have left every time Charlie opens her mouth and it is only two episodes in. I can not suspend believe enough to think a child raised in a world such as that would be such a whiny PITA.
                                Lay your hands upon me
                                Like an angel from above
                                Put your arms around me,
                                'Cause you're fallin'

Comment

Working...
                                X