This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible permanent houseguest

My kitty Loki went out for a little while this morning and brought me a new friend when he came in. She's a sweet little kitty, I'd say about 6-8 months old, very friendly so been around humans. No tag, of course. Called the town office, no ones reported her missing, called the humane society, no missing reports to them. I left a description and my information with them but not holding out much hope. She's at the right age to be spayed, so I think someone dumped her because they didn't want to pay. She's been hanging around the neighborhood for a few days now and is starting to get the scruffy fur of cat who's been outside for awhile.

Loki is quite taken with her and very protective as she explores, and its just too cold to leave her out, as thin as she is. I think we might have a new member of the family. I'm going to put posters up at the town office and post office tomorrow. That is if she ever holds still enough for me to get a picture out in the open. Already told my husband and his response? "So what's her name?" If I don't hear from anyone, I'll take her to the vet on Monday for a checkup, I have to take Loki in for a weigh-in anyways.

So any ideas on names? Thinking of keeping with the Norse theme, my husband suggested Sif or Hel, but not sure she matches either of those. This is Loki and I'll try to get a pic of her.
    Attached Files

Gid.

Gid was how the two large cats that drew Freyja's chariot were referred to in the poetry.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Managed a few pics and one together to see the size difference.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for taking little No-Name in, Tawny.

Oddly enough, when my mother raised siamese, she let me name many of them, and I had a good run of Norse myth critters. Only one I missed was Loki, so when my wife and I got a mischief maker a few years ago, that's the name he earned. Moved on to Valhalla since then, but roams our hearts still.

I like AW's suggestion. And it satisfies the Golden Rule of Pet Naming: never name an animal something you can't walk around yelling at the top of your lungs should they ever get lost.

Comment

Thanks guys, I kinda like the name too, not sure if she's big enough for it but as Loki often gets called dumbass when he wanders away from me, Gid sounds right up that alley.

Comment

Or there's Freya, which means 'lady' ...

I was looking for something that translated into 'wanderer' but couldn't find anything.

(There's always 'Frigg', which apparently means 'beloved', but in terms of a name you can yell around the neighbourhood ... maybe not ... )

Comment

I honestly love how Loki's head in that one picture is just a blur of white!

I suggested Gid because I have a character who has an anaconda named Jormungundr and a cat named Gid, so when you said Norse mythos I was like "LET MY KNOWLEDGE OF NORSE POETRY COME FORTH!!"

I personally believe, based on the poems, that the chariot cats were Norweigan Forest Cats:

My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

You can also name her Val (short for Valkyrie). Though I like the other suggestion better.
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Kitty! Aww, poor kitty. Glad it has a nice home.

I like Freya. Val is nice, too.
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I always liked the name Brunhild (or Brynhildr) from Norse Mythology, she was a valkyrie/shield maiden. But Freya is really nice, too. Of course, in Norse Mythology, Loki had a wife named Sigyn.

I'm glad your Loki likes her so much. It's sweet that he brought her home and that you're taking care of her. Try to get her spayed before her first heat if you can...it's really easy for females to get out and get pregnant if you're not careful.

Edit to add: You have a Pathfinder book in that first pic of Loki!

Comment

I thought of Sigyn, too, especially as Loki brought her home and seems so taken with her.. I think it's just so sweet that he found her and invited her back with him.
                      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I just went through Wikipedia and came up with some suggestions:

Wyrd, one of the Three Norns (they who hold everyone's destiny in their hands)

Embla (the first woman of Midgard)

Lif (along with Lifthrasir, she will inhabit and populate Midgard after Ragnarök)

For Valkyrie-related names, here's a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orse_mythology
                        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

This is pretty much how we got our first cat (he was at least 5 years old then). He showed up in the driveway and refused to be chased off. His official name was George but we just called him Kitty.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Your new houseguest is cute. My folks had something like that happen to them. My stepdad was out walking the dog and a little kitten followed them home. To make things even more fun, in addition to the dog, they already have two cats. Long story short, the kitten,Angelina, is now a part of the family too. The oldest cat,Patches, can't stand her, but then she pretty much hates other cats. For that matter, about the only human she really likes is my grandma.

The second cat, Sam, on the other paw, has become buddies with Angelina. It's funny, the two of them will play fight and then curl up and take a nap together. Angelina's favorite trick is to hide under a bed and then ambush Sam as he walks past.
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I knew a beautiful kitty named Freya. She was a sweetie. It's a good cat name.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X