This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My best hiding spots

Sometimes the world becomes too much, and you need to get away for a while.

Short term:

Under the bed. Just remember to vacuum properly. Combine with an oversized bedspread that reaches all the way to the floor and you're set.

A reasonably clean public restroom. Just bring a book and don't leave until your legs have fallen asleep at least once.

Crowds are good for vanishing in. A walk through a nearby mall or city centre is good.

If you own a black balaclava, wear black and stick to the shadows. Don't forget socks and gloves.

A SCUBA certificate makes hiding underwater a tempting proposition.

Woodlands. Plenty of stuff to hide behind. Dense undergrowth makes you all but undetectable.

If you live near a farm or stable that uses loose hay, hide in a haystack or hayloft. Just bury yourself in the hay, retract all limbs, and you'll not only be hidden, but also warm.

Avoid:

Ventilation shafts. They are nowhere near as clean, spacious and free from vermin in real life as they were in Die Hard.

Vehicles of any kind. You never know where or with whom you'll end up.

Long term:

Find out if there are any monasteries near your place of residence. No matter the religion, most monasteries are happy to accept boarders who can pay for their meals and make any contribution in labour or cash. For a more permanent hideout, you may want to consider joining up.

The woods again. A good knife, a ball of string, a lighter and a packet of water purification tablets, get you far. Just make sure to get some instruction in bushcraft first, and to not violate any laws or local ordinances.

On the move. Not so much a hiding place as evading pursuers. Hitch-hiking, riding between train-cars and walking are recommended. Remember good shoes and plenty of clean socks and underwear. You'll need them.

Avoid:

Breaking the law. Prison is a bad hiding place

False identities. It is tempting to drop everything permanently, but you will be found out. Also, see above.

Motels. They quickly become too expensive for extended hiding.
    The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

OK, from what or whom are you hiding?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

The best hiding place I ever had was in plain sight.

I was at my friend's house doing a late-night stay-over, with another friend of ours, watchin' movies and stuff like that. We decided to play flashlight tag.

The way it works is you turn out the lights, and the person who is "It" has the flashlight. The others have to hide, and when they're "tagged" by It's flashlight, they're caught.

I happened to be wearing black shorts and a white shirt, and I hid by laying on my friend's brother's bed (he was not there that night), which was unmade and had white sheets and dark covers. I took my glasses off, half-covered myself with the covers, and stayed perfectly still.

My friend was It that round, and he came and went through the room twice, walking right past me-- IN PLAIN SIGHT-- on the bed. The third time, he swept the light over the foot of the bed, and lit up my feet, which had white socks on. Naturally, I assumed I'd been caught, so I sat up.

My friend damn near pissed himself when he screamed.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Right now? My family. A few boyfriends of women I know, who have decided that I am getting overly friendly with "their women" (Yes, that's an actual quote). A man whom I can't describe without getting into fratching territory who, for some bizarre reason, has decided that I am his friend.
        Last edited by Divra; 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM. Reason: Possible Fratching material
        The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

if it's forest i'd recommend a good tent with a stove. my bf has both - they pretty much fit into a good sized backpack (the chimney is a flat sheet of flexible metal that you roll into a tube when you build the stove.

Comment

Working...
          X