This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompousness at it's Finest

I'm a first year college student currently taking calculus, chemistry, and macroeconomics. One guy in my chem class is a real piece of work. I've been meaning to post about him for a while, but things kept popping up and I'd have to put it off.

Anyway, he missed the first two classes intentionally. Those who have been to college know that this is a big no-no. It isn't like high school when you can go in and ask for a packet of makeup work, get full gredit, and everything is all honkey-dorey. If you miss class, you lose lecture/lab credits and the teacher may or may not let you make up in class work.

He showed up on the second week of class, fashionably late. The teacher decided to do him a HUGE favor by stopping class to catch him up and let him know what he missed. He cut her off mid sentence and said:
    "AAActually, IIIII won't BEEEEE here long because IIII am FAAARRR to intelligent for this SIIImple class. IIII took the PLAAAcement test which I will SUUUrely pass. I'll get the results today and be transferered to (higer chem class) before Wednesday".

And yes, he really does talk like that. Imagine a stereotypical snooty rich boy on a yaght with a polo shirt, khacki pants, and a sweater tied around his shoulders looking down his nose at the lower class persons. That is what he sounded like. The teacher was taken aback by his attitude, but simply shrugged and went back to teaching.

Later, in lab, he was given a partner who he treated like dog crap. He refused to let her do or touch anything, telling her that she shouldn't touch things that she doesn't understand. Any question she asked or comment she made, he would act like she was a complete moron bothering him with her senseless words. All his answers ended with "OOOOBBBviosly".

The next class, he showed up. I guess he didn't pass his placement test! I grinned like a fool. Karma is a lovely thing, no? That day he was given a permanant lab partner; a 6'5" football jock with biceps like granite. Mister Snob is 5'5" with limbs like twigs. All through lab, he was sweet as pie. The thought of what will happen if you insult a man twice your size is a good incentive to be polite.

Another day in lecture, we were learing about the electronegativity of atoms of elements. The teacher moved deeper into electronegativity and began discussing polarity of molecules. She drew a diagram and labeled it, explaining that the sign for elecrtonegativity in the greek letter delta which she wrote here. He rose his hand:
    "AAAACtually it's the greek letter SIGMA".
    Teacher: No, it's delta.
    Jerk: Noooo.

He stood up, went to the board, yanked the chalk from her hand and wrote on the board.

Jerk: THAAt is the letter Delta. What YOOOU wrote is SIIIgma.
    Teacher: Well, Greek letters have upper and lowercase letters. What you wrote is indeed Delta, but you wrote uppercase Delta. The letter I wrote here is lowercase Delta.
    Jerk: Well, YOOOu can believe what you want to believe, but IIII'm writing SIGMA in MYYyyyy notes.

Fed up, the teacher plopped her book on the projector and read aloud. "....electronegativity. This is symbolozed by the Greek letter Delta." and pointed out the picture right next to the text showing the symbol she wrote.

Another day, I mentioned my calculus class to my teacher. Jerk overheard. On break, I was listening to my voicemail when he came up and started talking to me about calculus and how I must be intelligent. I held up a finger to shush him because I was listening to an important message. When the message ended, I hung up my phone and apologised, explaining that I was listening to a voicemail.
    Jerk: Oh IIII understand. YOU're too BUUSSSYyy to talk to me.
    And he stomped off. I shrugged and went to lab where he intentionally rammed into me several times while I was bent over measuring water into a beaker.
    Me: Excuse you! You couldn't ask me to move or wait until I stood up?
    Jerk: You're in MYYYY way. It's impossibe to NOT bump into you.

On every test, he argues over every wrong answer because he is far too intelligent to ever get anything wrong! Does he get them "fixed"? No. Does he show up extra late everyday? Yes. Does he miss lots and lots of lectures and labs on days with solid due dates and quizzes? Yes. I somehow doubt that he's going to pass.
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

Sounds more like "mummy" or "daddy" paid his way through college....
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Ugh, that almost gave me a headache! *offers a drink and cookies* That guy needs more karma.

Comment

Time for the lecturers to provide classroom management - and kick him to the curb when he is out of line.

For his 'discussions' of wrong answers, he should be invited to the lecturer's office hours - and not class.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Jerk: You're in MYYYY way. It's impossibe to NOT bump into you.
          part of me says... if he does it again just call security. especially since he did it several times in a row.

let Mr "smarter than everyone else" explain himself to security and then the dean.

And I'm betting I know what happened with his placement test. I had a classmate who was going to do the same thing for one of my computer classes because he really did know the subject already. ... except he found out the college didn't allow it. If he wanted credit he had to take the class.

Oh and missing class... if it was like my college most classes only let you skip up to 2... and then it was half a grade point per skip. Policy in writing as well.

Comment

Late policies vary widely. Missing the first week usually gets you dropped from the course, allowing someone else to get the seat. That's a big deal where I teach.

If it's a minimester, the student can lose financial aid because it's based on attendance at the 10% point: which comes early in an 8 week course.

I don't do test reviews in the classrooms anymore because nursing students tend to argue every question to get points. I do individual test reviews in my office, and the student must provide a reference (my recorded lectures, their textbooks) to support their answer or I won't change it. Usually the student find they've quoted something out of context, like the Jerk in this story who can't tell the difference between the lower case delta and lower case sigma, but can't be wrong so he keeps pushing the subject.

Students like this come and go. Some get over it, some don't. It just comes with the territory. The key from an instructor point of view is to set reasonable limits. A conference between the student, the instructor, with another faculty member as a witness, would be my next step if I couldn't control the student in the classroom.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Wow, talk about a superiority complex. If he's so smart, why is he taking classes at all?
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If he had pulled any of that at my school he would be gone. Touch a teachers chalk, gone. Talk back, gone. Bump a students chair maliciously, gone. Oh and miss more than 2 lectures or labs. Gone. Tardiness over five minutes counts as an absence. 3 tardies counts as an absence. You can appeal once in 2 yrs. but the appeals are most times rejected.

Comment

Yeah even in the community college I was going to, he would have been kicked to the curb long time ago. Miss three classes it is automatic fail (without a VERY good excuse..like being on your deathbed or such), do not pass go do not collect any grades at all. That was for any class, every teacher I had .. had the same exact thing. Being late twice (even by 5 minutes each time) counted as 1 miss. So if he missed two weeks and was late every day after? Well that would be impossible because the end of the second week he would be done.
                  Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

There was someone like this in one of my classes in college. I can't remember the name of the actual course, but it was a course where we learned the history of different cultures all across the world. (So it was kind of like a World History class, only more in depth and drawing parallels between all the polities that happened at the same time.)

Finally, during one review (teacher only reviewed the multi-choice and short answers, the essays you had to make an appointment) with this dirk-a-derk trying to argue for points, I snapped.

"If you were as smart as you think you are you wouldn't have gotten the answer wrong at all, dumbass. Shut the fuck up so that those of us who can keep up can actually learn something out of this class. That's why we fucking took it in the first place!"

Shut him right up. Professor (who I really have a lot of respect for) told him if he wanted to argue any more answers then he could make an appointment with her after class and she'll explain clearly why he was wrong.

Note: The Prof didn't mind people asking questions for clarification on an answer, but I don't think she ever dealt with a EW of this student's caliber so she was taken off her guard on how to handle it.
                    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X