This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you get it transferred over?

The way you should do it is download the bootable version of Gparted. First, resize the partitions on your HD down so they'll fit on the SSD. (May not be applicable if you get a big SSD. You may need to move data off the drive too.) Then you can copy the partitions over to the SSD, and make the boot partition bootable.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
      SSDs are usually pretty stable. They DO eventually ...wear out. The individual memory locations can handle unlimited READs, but only so many WRITEs. Memory locations typically only fail during a write operation, which gets noticed by the drive. As each portion starts failing, the drive will remap to spares as available, then start shrinking in size reported to the system. When a drive starts shrinking, it's time to get the replacement.
      With traditional HDDs, everything is on a spinning magnetic-coated platter. Any physical defect/damage can start creeping out from that point. Information can be lost from any point, regardless of being used or not.

Now as to keeping the SSD healthy, as above, they are great for FAST operations, and can read unlimited times. Most normal operation is just fine. What WILL eat a SSD early is write-heavy operations. Putting virtual memory (swap file, for some of us older hands) on a SSD isn't such a good thing, and defragging an SSD is not needed, period.
      Traditional HDDs don't really wear out on read/write operations, so putting the virtual memory THERE would be the good thing.

Nightly backups... ??? Is this for a major business with critical daily transactions running through it?
      When I get asked;

SSD (or NVMe if you want insanly fast) is for your OS and any software that you use often and want to ensure it runs fast as well. Get one that's larger than you need because a) Crap expands b) You have more room for the write levelling to use, prolonging the life of the 'disc'
      It's worth thinking about a fresdh OS install and use you HDD as a second drive (that will still have all your data on it)
      HDD is for everything else, Window can be set up to point all Library folders to this one. Obviously if you're using Linux you should be fine remembering to install and save stuff to here.
      Backup your critical files to the cloud, there's tons of free options that you can use
      You can also pick up large external HDDs cheap (or HDD & a caddy) for on-site backups.

As I'm the default tech support for my family I dropped £30 on a 'toaster' disk cloner as it's nice & easy. Drop both disk in and press button then walk away, just need to fiddle with the partitions once it's done.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
        As I'm the default tech support for my family I dropped £30 on a 'toaster' disk cloner as it's nice & easy. Drop both disk in and press button then walk away, just need to fiddle with the partitions once it's done.
        i recently used one of the toaster style disc cloners and had issues going from HDD to SSD, after the clone windows believed that the new SSD was actually the HDD, as did my defrag program. i dont beileve there would be a problem doing a HDD to HDD clone or a SSD to SSD clone. just my
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
          i recently used one of the toaster style disc cloners and had issues going from HDD to SSD, after the clone windows believed that the new SSD was actually the HDD, as did my defrag program. i dont beileve there would be a problem doing a HDD to HDD clone or a SSD to SSD clone. just my
          Yeah, the amusingly translated documentation was pretty clear that the source (original) disk has to be smaller than the clone (new), although it's very clear which slot is which and that it only works one way. It did come with some software so you could manage it all on Windows but it's not very good, I can only speak for the one I have though (and bit of a derail for a one-off upgrade)

My go-to site for utilities I'm going to use once a blue moon is EaseUS, you're able to do most things with the free versions, they ahve an nice GUI and it doesn't nag you to upgrade
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

If the manufacturer of both the HDD and the SSD are the same, you might to check their website for a drive management app. Western Digital for example has a free, albeit reduced functionality of Arconis TrueImage on their website. I had just a couple days ago used it to clone my HDD to a higher capacity one with no issues.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
              If the manufacturer of both the HDD and the SSD are the same, you might to check their website for a drive management app. Western Digital for example has a free, albeit reduced functionality of Arconis TrueImage on their website. I had just a couple days ago used it to clone my HDD to a higher capacity one with no issues.
              sadly, the drives were from different manufacturers. The HDD was a WD while the SDD was Sandisk. I'm still looking for a good solution for m.2 drives, may have found one in a raspberry pi hat, but i havn't had a chance to test it yet.

Comment

sadly, the drives were from different manufacturers. The HDD was a WD while the SDD was Sandisk. I'm still looking for a good solution for m.2 drives, may have found one in a raspberry pi hat, but i havn't had a chance to test it yet.
                What are the problems you're running into? I'm intrigued now

Comment

sadly, the drives were from different manufacturers. The HDD was a WD while the SDD was Sandisk.
                  Check for new updates. WD bought Sandisk a few years ago; my wife worked for them at the time! They may now have compatibility tools.
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                    What are the problems you're running into? I'm intrigued now
                    The cloner i bought has 2 SATA3 slots, and an option for "one button cloning", its essentially an offline clone of the drive in slot A to slot B. I cannot be certain about the type of copy, if it is a bit for bit clone or just a hardware driven mass copy. Regardless, when i fired up the machine with the new SSD, windows showed the model and serial of the HDD rather than the SSD in device manager, and in the disc management section of admin tools.

Comment

Not sure what type of copy it does and I don't think I've run into that problem.
                      Does it identify correctly in the BIOS\UEFI and have you looked at the drive in a partition manager?

Personally, I'd verify the old HDD is still fine and boots into Windows then with the SSD plugged in I'd try deleting the disk and IDE\ATA controllers from Device manager and reboot, making sure you've got the drivers for them. Worst case you can just clone the SSD from the HDD again...

Comment

I just nuked it via gpartd (the SSD) and did a fresh install, then copied the needed folders over. was actually faster than the clone. i mainly picked it up for extracting user data for my freelancing. I considered using it for a freezer recovery, but its been really humid lately and i was worried about frost ingress.

Comment

Working...
                        X