Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with the other folks here. Give your two weeks.

Comment

They put you in severe legal risk having you run the store on 'borrowed' (read unauthorised) passwords and numbers.

They put you in severe health risk with your hands.

They put you in severe safety risk having you running a busy store (lots of customers aka strangers) with four total strangers as your only 'allies'.

Is the money worth those risks? NO!

Unless it will literally leave you homeless and starving, the money is not worth those risks. Leave.

I'd give serious thought to not even giving two weeks notice.

If you do give notice:

1. Call corporate about an unattended store if they leave you at that legal risk again - don't cover for the manager. Close the store "sorry, we have no manager right now" and call corporate.
      If money goes missing and you're using unauthorised numbers to close the till and whatnot, or stock goes missing and you're using unauthorised knowledge of the security codes to close the store, your managers will leave YOU twisting in the wind.
      What will happen to your hands in jail? What will happen to your future with a felony theft charge on your record?

2. Do not cut fabric. Ever. Do not stress your hands for them, no matter what. If they don't give you someone to cover the cutting counter, close it. 'Sorry, we have noone able to cut right now'.

3. If you don't have at least one familiar co-worker in the store, don't open. And call corporate again.

Have I made myself sufficiently clear, or should I shout?
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Everybody here is right. If they won't work with you, why should you work for them? They know you have a specific schedule and they ignore it and schedule you where they please. They know you're having problems with your hands and they keep putting you on the cutting counter (I've had to start wearing wrist splints at night due to constantly being on the cutting counter). They left you in charge of the store, despite lack of managerial training or security codes. They are treating you with blatant disrespect, like you're a cog in a wheel rather than a human being.

Unless you're one paycheck away from eviction, I'd turn in my notice. I'd also contact corporate about the manager ditching the store that night. That is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Like everyone else has said, I'd ditch the store. I have teaching friends who agree that the actual teaching is the most important part of college. Don't let this stupid job interfere with your career.

Comment

I had to resort to blackmail, threatening to call district about leaving the store unattended.
            No, no, no. You don't save that to hold over them: you report it to district as soon as they leave you with no manager. Whether you're staying or not.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

The store is pocket money. Your hands are for what you plan your career to be.

The store loses. I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said so far.

Moreover, there is NO excuse for the store to be without an "official" manager for any length of time. Go to corporate about it, and make it clear to them that that is part of the reason that you are leaving -- lack of effective management. Scheduling four all-but untrained people on known incredibly busy night also qualifies as a failing on Management's part.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You have a doctor's note and they're making you cut anyways? Being a musician/music major myself, that pisses me off! More than anything else they're doing to you, that just makes me furious! If you've got that note, you should NOT be cutting. PERIOD. It's risking your long-term health and mobility, your schooling/grades, and your future career. (And if you feel like I do about music, you're risking your art, your passion, your dreams. I do NOT mess around when it comes to protecting my voice.)

That right there would be enough to make me yank a manager aside and tell them "You keep making me do this when I PHYSICALLY CAN'T and I will quit." Everything else would just fuel my determination.
                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

One more thing to think about.

Everyone else has good thoughts and I agree with all of them.

You said you live an hour away. So that's two hours a day.

You'll be spending that much time spending money on gas to work a job you hate/don't really need once a week.

If you don't quit for your sanity/health quit for that.

Comment

I agree with everyone. Quit.

I'm not sure I'd give notice. If I did, it would be for my co-worker's sakes, not management's/the store's. They've shown that they don't care about anything.

Music is more important than that.
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Dissenting voice time.

I don't want to advocate that someone gives up income when I'm not directly affected by the result. This is going to have to be your decision.

You've weighed up the pros and cons - decide from there.

Rapscallion

Comment

Honey, as a manager in the same chain, I'll give you some advice. Call HR. Now.
                        "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Put yourself first, your future second (tied with your health).

Entertaining strangers on the internet should be about dead last.
                          What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth SuperRTL View Post
                            Honey, as a manager in the same chain, I'll give you some advice. Call HR. Now.
                            Same chain here.. call HR

Comment

Working...
                            X