Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't really think we should be penalized for this...(preorder rant)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't really think we should be penalized for this...(preorder rant)

My store runs a preorder program. It's pretty simple. You put a deposit down on a game that will be coming out (generally in the next few months) to guarantee a copy for yourself when the release comes. These copies are held for only 72 hours, even if paid in full. That's usually a large enough window to allow most who preorder to pick up their games.

If you put a deposit down on a game you are entitled to get it back at any time, for any reason. Let's say you pay a $60 game off in full and two months later you lose your job and need that $60 to cover a bill, you can cancel the preorder and get the money back.

(as an interesting side note, my company is holding $1000s in unclaimed deposits and never once in my time with the company have I seen any effort made to contact these people and make them aware we still have their money. In some cases $60 games paid in full have sat unclaimed for over a year).

Now here's the problem: Corporate doesn't like it when you cancel and neither do we (though we are not supposed to mean about it, some stores have been known to not treat a customer who cancels very well). We are judged on our net preorders. This is calculated as follows:

New preorders - cancelled preorders = net preorders

The thing for me is that we have NO control whatsoever over a customer who wants to cancel. Sure we can beg and plead with them to keep the preorder or switch it to a different game, but I would say 99 times out of 100 they either just want their money back or want a different game (which while it does mean business for us does still require a preorder to be cancelled).

Last week I had a young guy cancel 6 preorders so he could use the money from them to pay for Modern Warfare 2. I tell you I was this close to BSing some reason why I couldn't do that because I knew it would tank our numbers bad.

Ultimately though I realized this is his right as a customer to do, we can't hold his money by force, he can have it back if he wants. So I kept my mouth shut and processed the cancellations.

I really wish the system was not set up to penalize stores and store managers for loss of preorders, especially now when loyalty is largely to price and not businesses. I can't tell you how much business we've lost because of Wal-mart promotions and 2-for-1 deals at Target. It's not like we get in trouble if our returns for the week are high, some weeks people just return a lot of stuff, it happens. It's the same with preorders and yet with the preorders management seems to like to blame us for not working hard enough to keep the numbers up.
    Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 11-17-2009, 05:31 PM.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I'll try to keep out of fratching territory, but I think the whole reason companies push so hard for preorders is solely because they know there will be a percentage of people who forget.

I also feel both pity and contemptuous amusement towards everyone who preordered Starcraft 2 (currently 13 months overdue, and as far as I know they havent actuallt started beta-testing yet) or those who preordered Robert Jordans final book of the Wheel of Time series (presales started a month after he died, book unwritten)
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
      I'll try to keep out of fratching territory, but I think the whole reason companies push so hard for preorders is solely because they know there will be a percentage of people who forget.

I also feel both pity and contemptuous amusement towards everyone who preordered Starcraft 2 (currently 13 months overdue, and as far as I know they havent actuallt started beta-testing yet) or those who preordered Robert Jordans final book of the Wheel of Time series (presales started a month after he died, book unwritten)
      Don't forget the poor souls who preordered Duke Nukem Forever...
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'm an avid gamer, and I love having game store chains available closeby as much as the next guy, but there really needs to be a better approach to preorders and extended warrenties.

The Game Crazy I used to frequent had one guy who tried to pressure me into an extended warrenty for my DSi. It wouldn't have done me much game.

I've stopped preordering if it doesn't have a worthwhile bonus (Ocarina of Time Master Quest FTW!) because last time I preordered a game, they did not call me to tell me they had it in.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          I've stopped preordering if it doesn't have a worthwhile bonus (Ocarina of Time Master Quest FTW!) because last time I preordered a game, they did not call me to tell me they had it in.
          This is exactly why I left Game Crazy and started doing all my game shopping through Amazon. Then I walk into the store to see it on the shelf, but I hadn't been called. I left GameStop over them only ordering just enough copies of new games to cover the preorders, even on games that were going to be HUGE sellers. I almost don't buy from a brick-and-mortor store anymore.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
            I also feel both pity and contemptuous amusement towards everyone who preordered Starcraft 2 (currently 13 months overdue, and as far as I know they havent actuallt started beta-testing yet)
            Hilarious, really, considering they'd originally sworn they were breaking it up to 3 parts to ensure they could get it out this year. Thus my position of "Blizzard only cares about their WoW cash" is reaffirmed.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
            X