This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Button

When a fire alarm goes off in one of our buildings (not an uncommon occurence), once it is determined that the building isn't actually on fire, facilities hits a button on the fire panel that announces that everyone can reenter the building. Today someone made a mistake and hit the tornado warning button instead of the all clear button. Simple mistake, but it made me laugh to think of all of the employees standing in the parking lot and being told a tornado was coming.

That happened where I work - except both alarms were for real. There was a tornado warning so everyone was in the shelters... then a generator caught fire and everyone had to go outside. That led to a lot of discussion along the lines of "if you gotta go, which way would you pick?"

For the record, I'd rather be warm and dry...

Comment

I'd take my chances with the storm. You know, it only *might* come in precisely your direction, whereas you know the generator *is* on fire inside the building.

Better idea, use someone else's tornado shelter that isn't on fire.

Comment

Tornados are relatively localised - as I understand it, if you're not within metres of the funnel cloud, you're not suffering gale force winds and debris. (Unlike cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons.)

Given a choice between a potentially serious fire, and running from one tornado shelter to the next, I think I'd go for the running to another shelter. (If I could run. Hobbling to another shelter?)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Tornados are relatively localised - as I understand it, if you're not within metres of the funnel cloud, you're not suffering gale force winds and debris. (Unlike cyclones/hurricanes/typhoons.)
          Not necessarily. During the Uber-Thunderstorm of 2001, we had to deal with softball-sized hail being blown around by winds of 80 mph or so as tornadoes were possibly passing ten miles to our south.

That was the one and only time I've seen the sky get pitch black at noon. And I thought I might have to be driving in that because I thought I had a final exam at noon that day.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I vote for standing in the doorway and seeing what looks worse. Run out if the fires coming towards you or run in if theres a funnel cloud coming ur way.

But I never hope to seriously be in the situation. Its scary!

Comment

I guess I should clarify that it was a really nice day, without a cloud in the sky. Certainly no storms bearing down on us. I am terrified of tornados, so I wouldn't find it funny if it was possible a tornado could have been coming. I just thought the situation was kind of amusing.

Comment

Working...
              X