Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do customers have the right to treat us like crap?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do customers have the right to treat us like crap?

On another board I visit a rather heated discussion got going about etiquette between customers and employees.

This particular discussion focused around telemarketing. A former telemarketer had written an article about his experiences and, among other things, he stated that it was unfair for people to yell and swear at him when he was simply doing his job.

Some of other respondents to the post were of the opinion that if someone calls them and interrupts their dinner than that person deserves to be met with anger and swearing, regardless of the circumstances.

Now I know telemarketing is a touchy subject, but a number of comments branched out from that, and folks were basically making the point that: "As a customer, I have every right to get upset and be rude to you simply because you are doing your job."

That means they believe they have a right to be rude to you if:

- You are trying to get them to apply for a store credit card
    - Trying to sell an extended warranty
    - Asking multiple times if you need help

Even if the only reason you are doing these things is because your job requires you to.

I believe in showing a certain level of respect. This means I don't yell or get upset with telemarketers, I either don't answer the phone or simply decline whatever they are trying to sell me on.

It kind of bothers me that there's a "classism" thing going on between the service industry and those who feel they are above working such jobs.

I don't really feel I have an inherent right to be rude to anybody, but obviously other folks feel differently.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

You know what I have to say to those people? Those people are the reason that Karl Marx wanted communism. They obviously believe that just because they are "higher" on the food chain that they are entitled to belittle those around them for earning their "meager" pay.

What would they have to say if Bill Gates came in and treated them like dirt for doing their jobs simply because he was higher than them? I don't think they'd take kindly to it. So in other words they need to get off their high horse and start looking at people like they're people.

Those kinds are the kinds I hope never win the lottery. Who knows what kind of entitlement would spew from their mouths after that.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
      You know what I have to say to those people? Those people are the reason that Karl Marx wanted communism. They obviously believe that just because they are "higher" on the food chain that they are entitled to belittle those around them for earning their "meager" pay.

What would they have to say if Bill Gates came in and treated them like dirt for doing their jobs simply because he was higher than them? I don't think they'd take kindly to it. So in other words they need to get off their high horse and start looking at people like they're people.

Those kinds are the kinds I hope never win the lottery. Who knows what kind of entitlement would spew from their mouths after that.
      I agree with everything here.
      My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
      My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

I don't think its ever appropriate to be insulting to someone who's just doing their job. On the other hand, there are a lot of employers who force their workers to be insulting to the customers. A customer should never hold an employee personally responsible for following policies they almost certainly have no control or influence over.

Management, on the other hand, those who set the policies but have and will never be on the front lines carrying them out, should be fratched to death. With a big stick.
        Unfortunately, they can get away with policies that treat customers like morons and demean the staff, because those tactics have proven profitable.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

we don't have to wait, it already spews out of their mouths...
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

While berating an employee for doing their job doesn't sound very nice, the more grief a telemarketer gets doing his job, the more likely he's going to quit; this results in telemarketing companies having to deal with churn and pay higher wages to keep their employees. Also, while it's tough to get a job nowadays, people should have *some* scruples; getting paid to interrupt people who have more important things to do isn't all that nice either. I say yell away.

Comment

I don't think "I'm just doing my job" should prevent people from getting upset. I've been to businesses where the "job" doesn't seem on the up and up or where the employee is rude or won't take NO for an answer. But that doesn't mean any perceived inconvenience is going to put me on the warpath. I agree that people should receive a certain level of civility. If I am treated politely, there's no reason for me to act like a jerk just because someone is in the service industry. That doesn't mean I won't get upset or convey how annoyed I am. It does mean I won't rip apart the first employee I see.

I am firmly convinced that people should be forced to work in retail at least one month of their life. The view from the other side is enlightening.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Polite note, folks. There are members here who are in the telesales business, and some who are or have worked as debt collection people for legitimate companies. Let's not get overly aggressive over this side of things, please.

You want to debate what should happen in those jobs, I think we've already got fratching threads.

Rapscallion

Comment

The first few times someone calls you no its probably not okay to be rude. They have a job and it probably doesn't make them any happier than you (depending on the company).

However by the fourth time in a day, yeah I'm starting to become a bit more annoyed. At that point I consider it all bets off. Either that or when they hang up on me while I am requesting to be taken off their list. That's when they go to the fridge listing Those people don't get another chance when they call back.

Comment

That is why I always screen my calls. This way I don't yell and they make their calls. Their boss can't get upset at them if I don't answer the phone.
                    "If ignorance is bliss, then I work in Heaven."

Comment

I see every day rich people talking down to those of us who work for a living - I've worked in retail stores in higher income areas and it happens several times a day. Honestly, I'd rather deal with a construction worker who is having issues with his phone than a rich EW who was charged $1.75 for calling information. The "class system" (like we see in medievial Europe / Feudal England) was never gone - it was just snoozing for several decades. Now, with the economy the way it is, I see it exploding beyond comprehension.

As for telemarketers - I only have a cell phone so it is illegal for them to call me (but some don't care - I won't name the companies). Also, if I don't recognize the number I won't answer it but in the rare cas I do (expecting an important call etc..) and it is a telemarketer - I explain that they're calling a cell phone and it is illegal for them to call me, and I insist on not being contacted again (and don't give me the BS that it takes "months" to take me off your list - the FCC regulations and US law state I Have to tell you ONCE to stop calling me - anything beyond that is harassment).

When I had a home phone I gave them two "no's" and then I just hung up on them. I kno they're just doing a thankless job and they're usually expected to act like drones, so it's not worth yelling at them, just a simple click.

But - it is never acceptable to be rude - even if they're being rude to you. When you stoop to their level and start acting rude then you start to lose your credibility. Make them look like the idiot. Besides, you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                        A customer should never hold an employee personally responsible for following policies they almost certainly have no control or influence over.
                        See on the other side I mentioned many there feel that even a front line employee, since that employee is acting as a representative and agent for the company SHOULD be subject to complaints and rude treatment regarding company policies they have no control over.

I can't help but think of the example of this older couple I saw berating a gate attendant at an airport because the flight was delayed in taking off. Because of course it's entirely the lowly gate attendant's fault the plane isn't leaving on time.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Nowadays most telemarketers (at lest the ones that have called me on my cell) are automated...that way if you scream and yell at them they can't say shit back to you...you som much as make a noise and they take it as a positive answer (again....this is for the automated telemarketers calls that I have recieved.

The best thing to do? Screen your calls...if it comes up as an unknown number...let it go to your answering machine or don't answer.

Me for one...if someone yells and curses at me for doing my job I'm more apt to say "F*ck you too!" (actually said that to one cs for yelling at me and curisng at me in the parking lot when I was off duty.)
                          NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

The only time I could think a customer would have the "right" to treat someone like crap is if that worker is working for a scam type company.

You know, call you and ask what kind of copier you have and then bill you $800 for toner kind of people.

I would gather most of them know what they're doing and know it's wrong. But even then I haven't been rude. Just short.

Even if an employee is a complete screw up what good does it do to yell at them? Wouldn't it be better to ask for a manager and tell them "your employee is a complete screw up and here's why"?

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              Now I know telemarketing is a touchy subject, but a number of comments branched out from that, and folks were basically making the point that: "As a customer, I have every right to get upset and be rude to you simply because you are doing your job."

That means they believe they have a right to be rude to you if:

- You are trying to get them to apply for a store credit card
                              - Trying to sell an extended warranty
                              - Asking multiple times if you need help
                              I'd love to find out where those people work and call them up and start berating them about some stupid thing about their employers.

After all, I am their customer. I have the right to be as rude as I want to them.

I'm sure they will take it well. I mean, I'd hate for them to be hypocrites or anything.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X