This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was This a Scam or Not?

This happened years and years ago and I still wonder what was going on. I kind of feel like it was a failed scam but if so I'm not sure how it was supposed to work.

I worked at TJ Maxx while I was at school. One day I was at the service desk when this guy comes in with a little girl. He leans on the counter, showing off a huge gash with black stitches, then looks at me, smirks, and says, "Oh, sorry." and puts his arm down. Unfortunately for him, I am not grossed out by stitches; I've even had them before.

He plops down this filthy pair of sneakers. I mean, crusted with mud. And says he wants to return them. I say we can't do that. He asks me to ask a manager. So I call a manager, who says no. He says OK, I can throw them away, then leaves. A minute later the little girl returns and asks for the sneakers back so they can be donated to charity (I'm sure they appreciated that...).

The man stood there the entire time, and the girl strayed over to look at a display, but neither was ever out of my sight. I wonder if the man was trying to distract me so the girl could pocket something, but I was idly watching her the entire time I was on the phone. There was nothing on the service desk to steal.

So was this just a weird guy, or was he trying something? Any ideas?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I wouldn't be surprised if he and/or the kid was trying to pull something. It sounds as though they tried to divert your attention several times. Diversion is a common tactic of shoplifters and fraudsters.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If you are in to conspiracy theories, while you were busy watching the little girl, a third person was lifting something. What merchandise is near the service desk that you were suppose to watch?

Occam's Razor says he was trying to scam you on the shoe return.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Yeah, I'm going with the 3 man crew theory. Any other employees near you at the time, that you can recall? If not, then it's very likely there was a third person who didn't come in with them who managed to walk out with something.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

It happened so long ago I can't recall, but there was always at least one other person at the desk with me.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised some people are just lame when it comes to trying to make some $$. If your store was anything like the TJ Maxx where I live, she probably couldn't have stolen anything worth more than $10 or anything they could pawn/sell for more than that.

Comment

Working...
            X