This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New alarm system works.

We got a new alarm system that uses those little stickers that go on product. We had just finished putting stickers on all of our headlights.

Known thief comes in. Tries to leave and alarm goes off. Security finds a headlight in his pocket. He claims he brought it in.
    Alarm would have gone off when he came in. He leaves the bulb and says he will return the next day to speak with the manager. Needless to say he didn't show up today to speak to me.

Other trick is to have a security tag on you when you come in, setting off the alarm. This way when you leave with your stolen merch and the alarm goes off you can say it went off when I came in.
    Our solution to that is, if you set off the alarm coming in you will have eyes on you till you leave. I like to call it "aggressive customer service".

At least you HAVE security. We got nothin'. Which is beyond stupid, given the size of the store and the number of small items (some of which are quite costly) that people can sneak out with.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

"aggressive customer service".
      I love it
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dave in MD View Post
        Other trick is to have a security tag on you when you come in, setting off the alarm. This way when you leave with your stolen merch and the alarm goes off you can say it went off when I came in.
        Our solution to that is, if you set off the alarm coming in you will have eyes on you till you leave. I like to call it "aggressive customer service".
        While I also love the "aggressive customer service" part, I wonder if the bolded part should be deleted. I am not a thief, so wouldn't have thought about this, but some of the dumbest criminals out there might not have thought of it as well.

Unless, of course, you want to encourage folks to hold up their "I am going to steal" sign as they walk in.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
          While I also love the "aggressive customer service" part, I wonder if the bolded part should be deleted. I am not a thief, so wouldn't have thought about this, but some of the dumbest criminals out there might not have thought of it as well.
          If they're that dumb, I doubt they're reading here for advice. And it's an ancient trick anyway....

Comment

Oh yea someone looks shady, you send someone to "front and face" that isle and what ever isle they move to you need to now cycle count, and price check or read the small print on the back.
            They get the idea they need to move along.
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

With some people I will just straight stare at them. THey usually get the hint and leave. Sometimes with a threat to "call their lawyer".

When they say that I'm thinking, "honey the guy you call to get you off that possession charge isn't the right kind of lawyer."

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                At least you HAVE security. We got nothin'.
                I've been to a few places that had it but ignored it because it was over-sensitive. Back when Circuit City was still around, I went in looking for something and left without buying anything, and the alarm went off anyway.

I guess it got to the point where this was happening all the time, because another time I left with some items that I had paid for, and it went off again. This time they guy barely even looked at me and just said, "It's probably your phone!" and waved me on.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

My PDA used to set those alarms off sometimes. I haven't had it happen with any of the phones I've had yet.

Comment

That sort of RFID security gate has been a tough problem for a long time -- they're usually working near the limits of detection for whatever RF band they're in, which AIUI is furthermore a mixed-use band so the newest gadgets tend to step on it. And of course, security is a popular target for hucksters, where it's difficult to enforce even basic standards.

Comment

When I was a student at LSU, I once went to the library to study. I'd brought along some books that I'd bought at Schoenhof's Foreign Books, in Boston. I was unaware that there were still some security strips in the books I'd bought, and was surprised when I set-off the alarm, as I was leaving.

The bar that you push-open as you're leaving suddenly locks into place when the alarm is set off; I knocked the wind out of myself as my body continued moving forward, and tried to 'fold in two' at bar level, which is about stomach height.

A thorough examination showed that I wasn't vamoosing with library property.
                      Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        I am not a thief, so wouldn't have thought about this, but some of the dumbest criminals out there might not have thought of it as well.
                        I wouldn't worry. There is an entire subreddit dedicated to this anyway. Naturally, store security personell at many places keep a close eye on it in order to spot new trends and methodology to watch out for
                        Last edited by EricKei; 01-16-2019, 03:09 PM.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When I worked for the pet store I had a couple of ladies come in and return stolen stuff (don't get me started on that part, it's a good chunk of the reason I had a breakdown and quit). One had gone to the bathroom and the other was hanging out in one of the cat aisles. So I went to face the dog aisle across from her. Her friend joined her and they kept quietly talking to each other and watching me. They moved over an aisle, so did I.

They got mad and left and I was left with this parting shot, "You're bad at this!"

No, sweetie, I'm pretty sure getting you out of my hair without saying anything means I'm good at this.

Comment

One thing I wish I'd done when Staples got rid of me was to take one of those stickers and stick it on the base of the door sensor. Sadly, I wasn't given the chance. :P

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                              I've been to a few places that had it but ignored it because it was over-sensitive. Back when Circuit City was still around, I went in looking for something and left without buying anything, and the alarm went off anyway.

I guess it got to the point where this was happening all the time, because another time I left with some items that I had paid for, and it went off again. This time they guy barely even looked at me and just said, "It's probably your phone!" and waved me on.
                              Had this happen at a grocery store. I had $100+ dollars worth of groceries. The clerk asked me, "Did you buy a steak?" I had, and showed him the receipt. He told me that steaks had been setting the alarm off all day.

Comment

Working...
                              X