This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our restaurant is self service now?

So still not sure if I did the right thing.

Working night audit, hear the front door open around 4am. Get up to see the back of two people disappearing into the restaurant. Went to the door and couldn't see anything (it is a black glass door) nor hear anything.

Decided it was safer to call the police to come check it out who discovered a guest and her two male friends helping themselves to toast and ice cream.

Apart from being blown away by this logic I now have to explain to the boss why I calles the police for a second time in less than 2 months.

Honestly, you had no idea what they could have been up to. At 4am, when most desk people are on their own, and unless all the kitchen tools are locked away, they could have done a lot more than toast and ice cream. And just at the base, that's still stealing. I think you did the right thing, and made sure nothing went down.

Comment

A random trio of people just saunter into a place they're not supposed to be in the wee hours of the morning, and you're working by yourself? I think you did the right thing. But why were your restaurant's doors open at 4am?

Comment

The door was shut but it doesn't lock. Still a little odd that they went through that, around a wall and through the kitchen doors. And I heard no drunk laughter or anything when it happened.

Comment

Calling the cops was definitely the right thing to do -- Unidentified people going into an area with easy access to blades, chemicals, fire, and (depending on how your place does it) possibly even cash? Yeah. time for a visit from the po-po.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can't believe you would have to justify why you needed to call the cops...

Comment

Me either.

You're not trained for self-defence, and not being paid for putting yourself at risk of death or mutilation. Therefore, when someone is trespassing (entering the closed restaurant), contacting people who ARE so trained is the correct response.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think you did the right thing!

I would assume you are not a trained fighter, so you should not have to justify calling the police who are trained for situations like this.

What if it had not been guests helping themselves?!?!

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Yeah. time for a visit from the po-po.
                  But what would warrant a visit from the Tinky-wink-Tinky-wink, the La-la-La-la, or the Bitsy-Bitsy?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    But what would warrant a visit from the Tinky-wink-Tinky-wink, the La-la-La-la, or the Bitsy-Bitsy?
                    ...I've seen Puff Tubby with the Black Power fist head ornament...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

As the kitchen is also the home of all things stabby, I'd agree with the consensus that you did the right thing.
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I have heard some horror stories of what goes on in the bathrooms of a local 24 hour grocery store... Like an employee goes in to use the bathroom and comes across a woman shooting up. Said woman freaks, there's blood flying, and general mayhem. Don't ask me why the woman wasn't in a stall, I just overheard bits of this.

Anyway, the people in the OP could have been going somewhere to do drugs or deal them, and that isn't something great to walk into.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          I have heard some horror stories of what goes on in the bathrooms of a local 24 hour grocery store... Like an employee goes in to use the bathroom and comes across a woman shooting up. Said woman freaks, there's blood flying, and general mayhem. Don't ask me why the woman wasn't in a stall, I just overheard bits of this.

Anyway, the people in the OP could have been going somewhere to do drugs or deal them, and that isn't something great to walk into.
                          Our grocery store isn't 24 hours and we've had some strange stuff discovered in there.

Like the time our market guy wandered into the restroom to see someone taking a bath in the sink.

Bathing not-so-beauty booked it out before the MOD could find them. So as far as I know currently, this person either hasn't been back in or hasn't been caught so they can be banned.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X