X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Irv probably acquires a stalker

and not the good kind either.

The service desk pages for customer assistance in the furniture department. Against my better judgement, I drop what I'm doing and head over there.

An old woman shuffles on over to me and asks to buy a 24-inch wood swivel barstool. Says she needs it for her bathroom so she can sit on it as she styles her hair, such as it is.

I look up some further information on the barstool, and my scanner shows we have one on hand (the display)and none currently on order, but gives an ETA of July 17. A check of the planogram shows the barstool will be part of our assortment when the department is reset later this month. So I must assume more of this stool will eventually be coming, so I tell the old woman I can't sell her the display.

Shockingly, she is not okay with this. It is "ridiculous." I am "turning down a sale." She does not understand why I cannot sell her the display, even when I tell her it's because we need it for the new set. I call my manager and tell him the situation. Unsurprisingly, he tells me not to sell the display.

But rather than leave things drop there, I offer to check other stores and see if we can have the stool transferred in. As I'm doing this, one of the old woman's friends happens by and old lady gets her riled up and starting in on me. "I'm not having a good day shopping. I want to buy this stool here, but Irv won't sell it to me. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't stores sell stuff. Tell Irv to sell it to me!"

Meanwhile, my checking of other stores is showing that every store within 50 miles has a quantity of either zero or one on hand for this stool, and thus won't be able to transfer it in. So finally, I tell the woman to check with the service desk to see if they will issue her a raincheck. The sign for the stool specifically said no rainchecks, but as I was assuming the stool would be coming back in perhaps they would make an exception, but I couldn't promise anything. The woman finally seems satisfied and leaves. I go back to what I was doing.

Then the service desk pages me by name. "Hey Irv, did you tell a lady she could have a raincheck on a barstool?"

"No, I told her to check with you guys to see if you would."

"The sign she bought up here says no rainchecks. (old woman squawking can be heard in background)"

"Yes, but the scanner gave me an ETA of July 17 and it's going to be carried over into the new furniture reset, so I'm guessing it will eventually come back in. I'm just trying to get her off my back.

"Oh, okay (laugh). We'll see what we can do."

As I'm leaving for the day, the service desk lady grabs me and tells me the old lady with the barstool drove her nuts as well. She also tells me the woman originally tried to purchase the barstool by taking the sale sign off the shelf and taking it to the checkout. Fortunately, she had checked out by the service desk and was told she couldn't buy the barstool that way, which lead to the page that started this. Had she gone through the n00b's lane or the terminally aggressively dumb cashier's lane, they probably would've rung her out and called me to do the carryout.

Service desk lady tells me the woman promised to call or stop in every day until she got her barstool, and says "Looks like maybe you've got a little stalker now!" Yeah, great, nice to know there's so much to look forward to in life.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

*hands you a plate of cookies* I hope for your sake that she calms down.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Jeeez, all that for a frickin' barstool. Doesn't any other store sell them (besides your other locations)?

And why stop in every day? You told her the ETA is July 17th! Who wants to bet she'll be in tomorrow looking for it?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Occasionally people want to buy some of the things we have on display... They are not items we actually sell, they are items like a little quilt or some examples of what you would make if you signed up to take a class. Tutu, pillowcase, felted bowls, stuff like that. No, we can't sell it. The manager will say no. Everyone will say no. We can teach you how to make it if you take a class.

That old lady will either be in (or call) every day, or you will never hear from her again. Let's hope she's the type who will find something else to be angry at and forget all about Irv.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          And why stop in every day?
          Because all customers know that all they have to do to change reality is to be persistent. That, and she's hoping that Irv or another employee in the know won't be there the next time she shows up. Sooner or later, she has a reasonable chance of getting it via the aforementioned "n00b" or "the terminally aggressively dumb cashier"
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Or, the overlooked option: "I'll be in every frickin day because I've got nothing else to occupy my time, and this will fit the bill nicely."

May I offer you a small bottle of chloroform and a stiff drink?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Jeeez, all that for a frickin' barstool. Doesn't any other store sell them (besides your other locations)?

And why stop in every day? You told her the ETA is July 17th! Who wants to bet she'll be in tomorrow looking for it?
              I know in my area there is a place that could be called Bar-Stools-R-Us (a national company the store in my town even has a 15 foot high metal bar stool sculpture in front). I believe they have a brick and mortar store in a city about 15 miles west of you. Send her there. I think the national company even ships.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Feel bad for Irv, although it does remind me of a John Pinette (RIP) bit:

"I saw a couch that I liked... the guy said it would take six months to order it. I said I'll take this one. He said they couldn't sell this one because it was their display model and people wouldn't know what they had. I said HELP ME GET IT IN THE TRUCK!"

Comment

Display Item

Display items when you can buy sometimes are available at a great price, but sometime display items should never be sold. Sometimes like in the OP it is needed for the store, but in other cases the display item is a fake/cheap knockoff that can not be used or are damaged items that look okay but can not be safely used.

Bet this woman would be complaining of being ripped off if she had got that stool out the store but it was not prefect.

Comment

And she would've been ticked had it not supported her weight and she fell. Sometimes displays are not sold because they're not really functional or a safety risk. But how dare Irv's company be concerned for her safety.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Irv wasn't able to sell his stool sample to the SC. Do I have this right?
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Yeah, pretty much, and the SC had a tantrum about it that would have the average kindergartener shaking his/her head at the immaturity.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          Irv wasn't able to sell his stool sample to the SC. Do I have this right?
                          No shit, Hemlock.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

and now we have made it to the highest/lowest form of humor, the poo puns.

What? I enjoy bad puns.
                            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

But do you enjoy crappy puns?
                              Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                              TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X