This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Inappropriate Comments

You might remember me posting about a customer who pretty much told me I couldn't fold properly. Well, it seems they're all doing it now...

My co-worker got this phrase Saturday: “I think you need to go back to school.” The reason? The customer had handed her four £20 notes and a tenner and she was counting AND checking the notes to see if they were real, and I guess the customer thought she couldn’t count. I heard this loud and clear, as I was bagging and folding, since they’d bought a lot of stuff. His wife, or whoever, just laughed at my co-worker like she was dumb.

And yesterday. Another co-worker was helping another lady. He was being perfectly clear, easy to understand, wasn’t using slang or anything. He was being very professional. The woman walked away from him AS he was helping her, came up to me and said, “I wish he’d learn to use proper English.”

Just stop. We’re sales assistants, not delinquents. Yes, we may be young. Yes, we may not have a brilliant career. But we’ve got jobs, we’re working, and we’re professional, friendly, and eager to help. These inappropriate comments can cause hurt and offense. My colleague Saturday was rather offended, and let tell you, she doesn’t offend easily.

Quoth Evannah View Post
    And yesterday. Another co-worker was helping another lady. He was being perfectly clear, easy to understand, wasn’t using slang or anything. He was being very professional. The woman walked away from him AS he was helping her, came up to me and said, “I wish he’d learn to use proper English.”
    Coworker: I don't know what you mean.

Customer: See? Right there! You used a contraction! That is not proper English!

Coworker: I'm just helping find your size.

Customer: And right there! I can tell from the cadence that you said the "you are" kind of you're and not the possessive your! I am leaving! This place is awful!
    Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
    Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
    Fiancee: What?!
    Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
      “I wish he’d learn to use proper English.”
      I wish I'd been stood by you, as a customer - I'd have said pointedly, 'You mean, you wish that he would learn to speak proper English' (I can do a very good cut-glass accent if I feel the occasion demands it )
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

The first one - I wonder if she was trying to pass fake bills. Hard to believe any consumer doesn't know that these things are checked to be sure they aren't counterfeit, and for god's sake why wouldn't a cashier count them? Sometimes they stick together - I've had that happen, and believe me I was grateful when the cashier handed back the extra bill!

Second one - I find that the people who complain the most about "proper English" usually don't speak it correctly themselves.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

These comments make me wish I still worked at the small business... Guess what? We choose our customers, and implying that we're stupid makes you some other person's problem.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
          X