This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News flash - sales END!!!

Arrgh just shoot me please??? We just started a new month/new sale and no less than 15 people complained today (and several loudly) that we "raised our prices" when in reality the items they were purchasing were simply no longer on sale. I work in a liquor/wine store, and for the last 3 months the majority of our spirits were on sale in one form or another since summer is our biggest spirit selling season. Now we're getting into the holidays, and the top sellers right now are wines, so our sales are reflecting that.

I get that there were some deep discounts last month, (like $9 off a handle of Titos vodka) but yelling at me that we jacked the price up $9 when in reality the sale is over just makes you look foolish. I don't set the prices or the sales, I just stock and sell the stuff. Feel free to tell me you're going to call the BBB and complain that we ended our sale at the end of the month - they'll just laugh.

I got a story on here somewhere about a guy who asked like 7 different times if I was sure he couldn't get the sale price from the day before. I swear next time it happens I'm telling them "you can keep asking the question but the answer isn't going to change"

I also get the reverse that really drives me up the wall. "why is this on sale? is there something wrong with it?"
    Last edited by gremcint; 10-03-2014, 05:13 AM. Reason: elephants
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I haven't got any actual sucky customers yet, but a few people told me that it was a shame we'd raised all the prices again, when they were so cheap last time. Yeah. It's called a sale. They end. No one raised a stink. YET.

Comment

We get that often - we'll have what I call "flash sales" when we have too much stock of something or it's the end of the season, so the department managers will put a bunch of random stuff on sale at $1 or $2 or just "50% off lowest marked price" so we can get rid of it. We have the sale for a few days, and if there's anything left then it goes back to clearance but it's not on the sale anymore. So we get people all the time who will come in and say "Oh well I bought these for $2 last week" and I have to explain to them that it was a sale and now the sale is over. Usually I have to explain this more than once.
        Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

When it on sale

BUY! What is wrong with these people? It is only a week ago the items were on sale.

Did they not read the signs then? NO!

Did they not see the end date? NO!

Did they think of their future needs and buy it early? NO!

Personally for example I walked into a Metro store and saw Lobster Tails on sales for $2.89 each. Normal price is $7-8.99 each. Did I buy two tails and come back the following week and complain about the price going up? Of-course not, instead I bought 10 tails and still have some in the fridge today.

If they were not so busy being SCs they would buy for future needs while the price is low.
          Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 10-04-2014, 04:32 AM.

Comment

You would be amazed how many people come into the c-store and are confused, befuddled, and angry that their extra large soda is no longer a dollar... yeah, that was the sale we ran during the summer, now that winter is approaching it is our coffee that is on sale for a dollar. Sales have end dates and normally reflect the season.
            I've also gotten the "what's wrong with it that it's on clearance" question... seriously, 99% of the time the answer is, "we've decided to no longer carry it and are trying to get rid of it to make space for something else." The product is perfectly fine if that is what you want... just not enough people want it to justify it taking up our precious little shelf space.

eta- and the best part about the people complaining about the fountain drink sale ending is that the people who complain the loudest are the ones who are the most adamant that they will never sign up for the store debit card, despite the fact that one of the (many) perks is the indefinite continuation of the sale price (when you pay with the card it refunds the difference back to you).
            Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 10-03-2014, 07:24 PM.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Earl, I'm with you. If I see a really good sale, I scrape change together if necessary. $40 worth of paper goods in order to get $10 back, plus my discount and an online coupon on several items? Yes, please, and NOW, because it's ending in a week. I don't fool around with that.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

We at the red roof pizza place get this kind of shit ALL THE TIME especially after we have run some insane cheapass mass-marketed really really cheap sale.

"BUT that <insert special> was just running last week>. WHY CAN I NOT get it today???

because the SALE/promotion/cheap crap product of the month IS NOT LONGER on sale/being offered OR it is NOW an on-line special ONLY (and this is made PERFECTLY clear on the TV commercials)......how hard is to understand that?????
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Oh, yes, I ran into this at the wholesale club.

Them: "Yesterday, the price was $X.XX!"
                  J2K: "That was yesterday."

They were never happy with this, but my stating it as such seemed to cut short the impending diatribe. I guess it was something in my surface-sympathy (I act sympathetic to their plight) and the flat, brooks-no-arguments tone in which I said it that told them "complain elsewhere."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                  X