Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect is something you should learn.

No matter how many years in retail I've worked, I'm still utterly dumbfounded by stupid peoplewho become rude to cover the fact that they are , in fact, stupid.

My card reader crashed while I was checking a long line of customers. I tried with no successful to reboot the system and reconnect every cord. After two or three minutes, I gave up and pulled the reader face down towards me. It was obvious that I did it and it was not facing customers. I stuck a hurried note on the register saying, 'Please hand card to cashier.', since I could still take cards manually.

Most customers actually read the sign, forked over the card, and had a pleasant transaction. Some customers ignored the sign, tried pulling the reader towards them, and when I politely explained the situation, they were polite back, and went away happy.

This jackass, however, stared at the sign.... and still tried to pull the reader towards him. I politely explained the situation and asked if I could run it manually. He yelled at me because I was drawing attention to the fact he couldn't read, I was making him feel stupid, it was such an inconvenience and all my fault, blah, blah, blah!

He throws the card at me and says hurry up! So I go as slow as possible and ignored him the whole transaction. He starts again with how rude I am. I printed his receipt, hand it to him and simply said, "Then next time, be more respectful." He turned red and walked out.
    Last edited by Plankton78; 09-25-2014, 02:57 AM.
    No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Quoth Plankton78 View Post
    This jackass, however, stared at sign.... and still tried to pull the reader towards him. I politely explained the situation and asked if I could run it manually. He yelled at me because I was drawing attention to the fact he couldn't read, I was making him feel stupid, it was such an inconvenience and all my fault, blah, blah, blah!
    How does someone who can't read use a keypad for credit transactions?

Comment

I think it was more drawing attention to him because he didn't read the sign, rather than couldn't read it. You know, the whole aliteracy thing.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was just a jackass being a jackass rather than an embarrassed guy who couldn't read.
        No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

It is amazing how teed-off folks get when they do something stupid, they'll do ANYTHING to try and make it look like it's someone else's fault rather than admit they screwed up, and will turn on the first person they can find, no matter what that person's role was.

My version of it is

"Why did I get towed?"

"You parked in a private lot without a permit"

"Well you don't have to get RUDE about it!"

I get that,

ALL

THE

TIME
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            "Why did I get towed?"

"You parked in a private lot without a permit"

"Well you don't have to get RUDE about it!"
            "Being told 'no' does not automatically count as being rude."

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
              It does if you're an EW...

Comment

I don't think I've ever been able to put my finger on it, but that's exactly what it is! People do something stupid, ignore my friendly suggestion, and then become rude about it. It's gotten to the point where I'll just let them continue to be stupid for another moment rather than deal with their rudeness.
                Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

How does someone who can't read use a keypad for credit transactions?
                  there's multiple threads on here about SCs asking the cashier what to do vs. reading the card reader prompts.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Oh it's the old "I've been stupid. Time to cover my tracks and make the cashier look stupid instead." *shakes head*

Thumbs up for your response at the end though!

Comment

To an SC it does.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I am rubber, you are glue, the stupidities I perform will stick to you...
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                          I am rubber, you are glue, the stupidities I perform will stick to you...
                          Made my night! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                          X