Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I get it, I'm shit on your shoes.

Had one of those customers, the type who cast a nasty pall on the rest of the day. She came up to my register, slapped down a packet of patches and a $10 bill and pointedly looked away from me as though I was a horrible, filthy sight. I rang up her purchases and asked, "Do you have any coupons?" No answer, still looking away, glaring.

So I asked again.
    ME: Do you have any coupons?
    SC: (snidely) Don't you think I would've given them to you if I did?!

No, you probably would've flung it at me. So I totaled her order, put in her cash, handed her the change. She snatched it away and stomped off without a word as I said, "Thank you." Though I did say "See you next time" to her retreating back.

I wish I could make a public service announcement on Sucky Customer TV:

"Shoppers Of The World: This may come as a surprise to you, but the people who work at your local store are your fellow human beings. You wouldn't want to be treated like garbage, so why do you treat them that way? Believe it or not, it doesn't hurt or cost anything to treat your fellow human beings with basic courtesy and decency. Just FYI."

Not that it would get through to people like her. I hope someone treats her that way, and she realizes why. Yeah, I know, to hell with her and her bitchitude, but it grated on me and I needed to post to get it off my chest. I am so glad this board is here.
    Last edited by XCashier; 09-30-2014, 04:00 PM. Reason: grammar
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Quoth XCashier View Post
    SC: Don't you think I would've given them to you if I did?!
    And if you hadn't asked, you can bet that she would have bitched that she had a coupon and YOU should have asked her.

Some people are just so full of bitchery it overflows everywhere *gives XCashier chocolate cake and hugs*
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

This makes me so mad. I don't get why some customers are like this. And it makes me think: Are they only like that to cashiers and other people of the service industry, or are they like that with everyone? Because it would be a bit easier to bear if that's how they treat everyone. If they just single out people like us because they think we're somehow beneath them, well, I'll be honest, it both angers me and saddens me.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        the people who work at your local store are your fellow human beings
        You sure you wanna lump people like her in with "human beings" ...? The humans might get offended.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ugh! I had a few people who gave me that sort of impression yesterday, and of course the first one was the worst, and she was only my third customer of the day! This lady (we've dubbed her the 'pencil box lady' because of a previous incident) goes round and round with me about some of our clearance being 50 percent off. I tried to explain to her that we only do those sales for a few days, and if there's no more "50 percent off" signs then we're not doing the sale. Well she keeps going round and round, I think trying to get me to just do the discount but because I knew she was always like this, I just went and got a CSM. CSM proceeds to explain to her the same thing I did, adding that the department managers are the ones who decide when we're doing 50 percent sales. Pencil box lady says something like "Oh okay well she didn't know that." CSM leaves and I ring the lady up. Her total is $35.10 and she places $30.10 on the counter without a word. I say "This is only $30.10" and then she says "Well, that's why I'm digging in my wallet, because I'm going to pay the rest on my card, which is why I'm...DIGGING." Like I was supposed to be psychic and know that's what she was doing (I didn't see her DIGGING because I was counting the cash). Ugh, the lady just oozed "I'm better than you" with everything she did and said. I feel sorry for the other people she has to deal with on a daily basis.
          Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            You sure you wanna lump people like her in with "human beings" ...? The humans might get offended.
            Speaking as a human being, I *am* offended!

That woman was something nasty wearing human skin. To heck with her, I say. (That's right. "Heck." I said it!)
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              To heck with her, I say.

*the 'Old Gentleman' looks up, startled* "Eh? We don't want her either, thank you very much!"
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

One of my managers has her own version of "see you next time." It's "thank you for your patience." She can say it without any sarcasm, which is a trick I'll never master.

When people treat me like that lady treated you, I just stop talking. I don't ask how much fabric they want, or if they have more or anything. I just print their slip give it to them, and call the next number. Oh, I'm not worth basic courtesy am I? Fine. Neither are you. I've never yet had a complaint about it, either.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  One of my managers has her own version of "see you next time." It's "thank you for your patience." She can say it without any sarcasm, which is a trick I'll never master.

When people treat me like that lady treated you, I just stop talking. I don't ask how much fabric they want, or if they have more or anything. I just print their slip give it to them, and call the next number. Oh, I'm not worth basic courtesy am I? Fine. Neither are you. I've never yet had a complaint about it, either.
                  That reminds me of when I got visibly impatient customers in my line, when I was at Land of Quid. When it was their turn, I'd say, "Thank you for waiting" with a big smile. I don't think I've ever had a customer say anything after I've said that. Seems to stop them sighing and being grouchy/rude too

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

I wish I could make a public service announcement on Sucky Customer TV:

"Shoppers Of The World: This may come as a surprise to you, but the people who work at your local store are your fellow human beings. You wouldn't want to be treated like garbage, so why do you treat them that way? Believe it or not, it doesn't hurt or cost anything to treat your fellow human beings with basic courtesy and decency. Just FYI."
                    Would this air before, during, or after the all-day Extreme Couponing marathon?
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                      That reminds me of when I got visibly impatient customers in my line, when I was at Land of Quid. When it was their turn, I'd say, "Thank you for waiting" with a big smile.
                      I do a textual variation on that in emails.

"I will <insert the needful here> and get back to you with next steps. Thank you for your patience."

I work in support. I'm allowed to say "the needful"
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Kill 'em with kindness is a great way to go. You really can't say anything bad about someone who is pleasant and nice even when you're behaving like a raging asshole.

But Thank you for your patience doesn't work down to CUNT like See You Next Time does.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          To heck with her, I say. (That's right. "Heck." I said it!)
                          Where the hell is Heck?!
                          Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Would this air before, during, or after the all-day Extreme Couponing marathon?
                          Yes.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Where the hell is Heck?!
                            Are you not familiar with Phil, The Lord of Heck?
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                              Kill 'em with kindness is a great way to go. You really can't say anything bad about someone who is pleasant and nice even when you're behaving like a raging asshole.

But Thank you for your patience doesn't work down to CUNT like See You Next Time does.
                              Actually, a truly sucky customer can. A woman who was being mean to me didn't like the fact that I was being nice to her, and complained about me that I wasn't nice, just sarcastic. I got in trouble for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X