This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online ID verification and webcams...

As a requirement for me to get a professional certificate through Coursera, they need to verify my ID. I'm able to upload ID card photos, but it falls apart when the service they use (Jumio Netverify) wants to access my camera to take a photo (whether it will match my ID photo close enough is another matter). It refuses to see the camera on either my laptop or phone (both cameras work and this is the only application that thinks they don't exist).

I tested both cameras though another site; it worked and I have no problem with Zoom. The help pages don't cover this particular problem, and it's clear that if this step doesn't complete I'm not getting the certificate. Has anyone else dealt with this stuff?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

On my machine at least, Zoom is a separate application to the browser. My browser is set to have no access to the webcam; maybe yours is too?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

My browser does have webcam access; I tested it using an online webcam tester (don't recall the site offhand). According to what little I was able to tease out of the (non)help site for my course platform, my ID verification was "successful" meaning my ID card was uploaded...which wasn't what I asked
      ETA: The verification widget runs within the browser, so as long as the browser plays nice with the camera it shouldn't be an issue. I don't get any errors about my firewall or AV software...my Win10 machine doesn't have either to speak of right now as Microsoft seems to think the suite I use is 'malicious software" and isn't letting it run.

I still don't know if their third-party verification actually utilizes/needs the real-time photo...if it's flipping out about it, it must need a pic. Why I can't take a headshot using my webcam and upload it immediately I know not.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-03-2020, 05:28 PM.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X