This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best birthday present EVER

My friend, who also happens to be my parish priest, shares my insane love of everything space-related, especially anything about Mars.

For weeks, he's been tormenting me about this amazing space-related present he got me. He was going to wait until my actual birthday (July) to give it to me, but decided it was too cool to wait that long. He took great delight in telling all of my friends what he'd gotten me, and making me watch their reactions, and forbidding them to tell me anything.

Finally, I was given the present today (it just came in the mail a few days ago).

It's a piece of a frakkin' MARS METEORITE. Do you know how rare those are?? They've only found about 80 of them, ever! This piece is a tiny one, a little bigger than the head of a pin, and all the documents with it seem pretty genuine. It's the real deal.

I OWN A PIECE OF MARS!!!

I gotta go find a locket to put it in.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
    I gotta go find a locket to put it in.
    I'd suggest something similar to this
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Nice present!!
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I OWN A PIECE OF MARS!!!
        Well, technically you own a former piece of Mars. That doesn't make it any way less cool, though.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

That's really cool. Enjoy it!

Comment

That is AWESOME.

Did you know about this:
            http://marsparticipate.jpl.nasa.gov/.../sendyourname/

You can have your name added to a microchip that will be included in a mission to Mars.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              That is AWESOME.

Did you know about this:
              http://marsparticipate.jpl.nasa.gov/.../sendyourname/

You can have your name added to a microchip that will be included in a mission to Mars.
              I signed up for that years ago. In fact, I'm sort-of-friends with the guy who drives the Mars rovers (I know him via Twitter, though we've met in person a few times), and he's giving myself and some friends a private tour of Jet Propulsion Labs next week, so we can see the new rover (Mars Science Lab, aka Curiosity, which is an AMAZING machine) before it ships off to Florida to prep for launch! And I'll be back at JPL in a month for another NASA Tweetup.

I am the slightest bit Mars crazy. and yes, if they were offering one-way flights for colonists to set up there, I'd sign up.
              "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                Well, technically you own a former piece of Mars. That doesn't make it any way less cool, though.
                That fact that it's now on Earth does not negate the fact that it is a piece of another planet. It is simply an unattached portion of said planet! :P

Comment

Yes. Quite in the EPIC category.
                  What a friend!
                  (Happy Birfday)
                  "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                  "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I signed up for that years ago. In fact, I'm sort-of-friends with the guy who drives the Mars rovers (I know him via Twitter, though we've met in person a few times), and he's giving myself and some friends a private tour of Jet Propulsion Labs next week, so we can see the new rover (Mars Science Lab, aka Curiosity, which is an AMAZING machine) before it ships off to Florida to prep for launch! And I'll be back at JPL in a month for another NASA Tweetup.

I am the slightest bit Mars crazy. and yes, if they were offering one-way flights for colonists to set up there, I'd sign up.
                    That's crazy-cool. *jealous *
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The locket I ordered for the meteorite came in! It's perfect!!

(I ended up replacing the chain, lovely as it is, with a ribbon, because I have pretty severe metal allergies and I wanted to be able to wear this every day.)
                      Last edited by JoitheArtist; 04-26-2012, 04:53 AM.

Comment

*zoomies in on the pic*
                        oooooh, pretty. Nice, simple, but cool. Understated, and classy.
                        "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                        "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                        X