Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family Drama with the In-Laws (Can I get off this crazy train?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Drama with the In-Laws (Can I get off this crazy train?)

Okies! Background Time!

Last year, around December 2009 to February 2010, BiL#1 got into a car crash when the car he was driving home (from his truck driving job) hit a patch of black ice and hit a tree. He hurt his shoulder and was out due to surgery and time to recover from said surgery. During this time, he had asked his mother & father for money to help him and his family to get by until he got his first workman's comp check. MiL & FiL both said no. (MiL has a bank acct. with her own "play" money in it). BiL#2 had to bail BiL#1 out (BiL#1 and his family go on vacations all the time, eat out at expensive restaurants all the time, etc). Also, about a year or so before this, when BiL#1 and his wife (and at least K1) were waiting for their new house to be built, they asked the PiLs if they could live with them. Again, the PiLs said no, and they ended up living with SiL's parents (rent free). Also, when BiL#2 and his wife were looking at houses and in the process of getting their house, they wanted to live with PiLs and again, they said no and so they lived with SiL#2's family.

End background.

So, yesterday (Mother's Day in the US at least), Mr. Rum's mom called him on his cell phone, and she's in tears. Both he & I thought someone in the family had died. Turns out, she wanted to talk to a person in the family who wasn't yelling her.

BiL#1 is friends with a County Sheriff and his wife. Their son is in a hospital in a town 30-45 minutes away from MiL's house . Sheriff and his wife are racking up $$ expenses and time off staying at various hotels in the town of the hospital as their son was in a mountain bike accident (and the son has been hurt really badly). So BiL#1 was like, "Let me ask my parents if they'll let you stay at the loft apartment they have over their garage."

So BiL#1 asks. Of course they say no. (I mean, really? BiL#1 should have already known the answer. If the PiLs aren't going to help out their own flesh & blood that way, they aren't going to be letting complete strangers - and PiLs don't know Sheriff & wife from Adam - stay in the apartment over their garage). BiL#1 threw out they're not good people because they refuse to open their over-the-garage apartment to strangers (again, only BiL#1 and his immediate family know these people, not the PiLs). And why should his Dad give money to the drunken guy who works for him and not help a couple whose son is in the hospital? And they would never trash the PiLs' apartment (which is one of the reasons the PiLs wouldn't allow them to be there as the PiLs were just at the American Legion building that morning looking at the great damage that was left over from the party that rented the America Legion hall the night before and quite a few things needed to be replaced).

He also threw back at them the fact they wouldn't give him any money when he asked for it. But they did help out a little AFTER the surgery. MiL came up to his house and watched the kids before and after school as their mother works at least 1.5 - 2 hours away from work. BiL#1 couldn't feed/clothe/do other various things for the kids with his bum shoulder.

BiL#1 got angry. So angry that he is no longer talking to his mother & father. He's told his mother he's not coming down to their house on May 14 (to not only celebrate her birthday - which is May 14 - but also Mr. Rum's birthday - which was May 7), and blah blah blah.

Then BiL#1 had the audacity to call Mr. Rum and give him his side of the story. Complaining how their PiLs don't visit his house that often. (Really BiL#1? Every time we talked to them, they were going up to your house for no other reason than to just say "hi" to your kids. They haven't been to our house in about 5 years). They didn't go to K1's birthday party. They don't do this, that, or the other thing. (Yet those kids are down at the PiLs' house every other month to "visit" and spend the weekend there, and in the summer they're down there for Bible camp and K1 is down there for horse riding lessons - paid for by MiL.)

So as it stands right now: Mr. Rum, myself, Child Rum, BiL#2 and SiL#2 are going to be there. SiL#1, K1, and K2 are (maybe) going to be there. We're also going to eat early on Saturday (there is NO WAY we're staying until 8 or 9 PM Saturday night like Mr. Rum wants because: 1. We're getting up early the next day to go to the Fairy Festival in Maryland, 2. Mr. Rum will be driving tired and that's dangerous and 3. I will not be driving home on Saturday night as I have horrible night vision. If he's not ready to leave no later than 5 PM, then I'm calling a cab for me & Child Rum and we're leaving (or I'm calling my parents or my sister - someone).

But really? Did BiL#1 have to cause this drama on Mother's Day of all days? Did he really have to blow this all out of proportion?

I am absolutely livid.

1. The apartment is for the PiLs to do whatever they want to with it. If they want to rent it to Yosemite Sam the Town's Idiot and not to the "fine upstanding" Sheriff and wife who is known only to BiL#1, that's their prerogative.

2. It's their money. If they want to take their money, go to Atlantic City or Vegas and gamble is all away, it's their right. BiL#1 has no claim to their money until they're dead and even then, all they have to do is leave him like $1. (Which, if I were the PiLs, that's exactly what I'd do).

There was a few more points I wanted to make/ask, but I forgot them. Oi. Maybe because I'm getting too anxious and angry about this entire situation?

I'll update next Monday about what happened this upcoming weekend.

I will tell y'all though: I am definitely looking forward to my therapy visit this Friday.
    Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM. Reason: Clarified something?

Ai-yai-yai...Maybe you should tell PIL that if BIL #1 wants to give them the silent treatment until he gets what he wants, that this is a perfect learning opportunity that while your parents love you, they are NOT PIGGY BANKS.
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Thanks for reading this Rads! Forgot to put the Warning: Long tag in the title.

When the boys were growing up, their father was obsessed with shooting and the shooting range. Now that he's retired he's obsessed with the American Legion. Their mother has no life outside first her husband AND sons and now just her husband. So what hubs says, she backs up. Always been like this.

Mr. Rum is trying to stay out of it, but it's hard. So I'll wait and see.

Comment

Wow... Sounds like BiL needs to figure out he can't nurse anymore.

Comment

Hahaha Aethian! You are completely right!

And I know if the money issue is brought up, BiL#2 will be all over his parents with the song: "If you had just given BiL#1 the money, then me & my wife wouldn't have and then we'd have extra money to do <fill-in whatever here>."

I'm bringing a few bottles of wine and rum down there. I think I'm going to need it.

Comment

BIL # 1 needs to let go of the apron strings and realize that the PILS are not an ATM or entities he can freeload from in anyway.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

But ... But ... what are the parents actually there for? If not to let their kids live rent free at their house (while their own brand new house is being built) or going to when they need money, then what's the point of the parents?

We've been told not to let either brother know that Mr. Rum is the executor of his parents' wills. (If they both die at the same time). Because then the brothers would complain about it and wonder why one of them isn't the executor.

BiL#1 also got offended that when the PiLs did finally consent to give him a little money they first had him show bank statements concerning the college funds of K1 and K2. They wanted to make sure he and his wife hadn't raided their kids' college funds. (I'm very surprised at hearing the kids have college funds. Neither went to college and both have espoused the notions that college isn't a good thing to go to anyways).

But what gets me is that his brother was complaining that his parents don't visit his kids. And they don't visit him and his wife. When all we ever hear is that they are always visiting him!

I told Mr. Rum that BiL#1 has to get over himself. He's not the be-all and end-all of the NotaRum family. And if he dares call the house this week and I answer the phone? I'm giving him a taste of and the and he sure as heck will not be liking me for a very long time.

Comment

Headache-inducing Update

As of 9:00 PM tonight, May 11, 2011, BiL#1 will bs going to the PiL's house this weekend. Apparently the speaking talents of BiL#2 are so great, he was able to persuade his brother to do the right thing.

Yeah, I really don't look forward to this weekend. Please me.

Comment

We're here

Been quiet so far. Haven't distributed the copies of "My Brother Charlie" yet. No other sons until this afternoon.

MiL said she was told by BiL#2 that she is not allowed to talk to BiL#1. From my understanding BiL#2 had to guilt BiL#1 into coming. I'd rather he stay home. Bit that is just me.
                  Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 05-14-2011, 12:52 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

Hang on wait...HE'S going to HER house, and SHE'S not allowed to talk to him? WTF?
                    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                      We've been told not to let either brother know that Mr. Rum is the executor of his parents' wills. (If they both die at the same time). Because then the brothers would complain about it and wonder why one of them isn't the executor.
                      Tell me BiL#1 gets a boot to the head.
                      Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                      BiL#1 also got offended that when the PiLs did finally consent to give him a little money they first had him show bank statements concerning the college funds of K1 and K2. They wanted to make sure he and his wife hadn't raided their kids' college funds. (I'm very surprised at hearing the kids have college funds. Neither went to college and both have espoused the notions that college isn't a good thing to go to anyways).
                      Sound to me like the origin of these funds were early attempts on BIL#1's part to hide behind the kids. Manipulators are expert at that.

If they eat out a lot and do vacays, BiL#1 has the means to take care of himself, just not the desire.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        Hang on wait...HE'S going to HER house, and SHE'S not allowed to talk to him? WTF?
                        Actually Rads, both were warned not to say anything "hateful, mean, spiteful, or alluding to the incident on Mother's Day". There wasn't much to really talk about though. Bil#1 and his family are going on a cruise in October with Bil#2 and his wife. That was being discussed. Losing weight was discussed. And the fact that I have a myriad of medical conditions (that can instantly be cured just by me losing weight) was really incredibly funny. (I was not happy, I basically ignored them after a while and Mr. Rum said nothing to them, but later said "they were trying to be funny" - yeah, not in my book. Sorry, I'm not as thick-skinned as everyone else. I can be delicate/fragile in certain aspects, Mr. Rum knows that. Damnnit - I'm crying).

I tried to stay out of it. It's not my place to say anything as she's not my mother & he's not my brother.

If it wasn't for drama, this family wouldn't have anything to do with each other.

At least BiL#1's youngest daughter, K3, (for those playing at home, K1 is the oldest grandchild, K2 is actually Child Rum as she's the 2nd granddaughter in line and the 2nd granddaughter to be named with a K name, and then K3 is K1's younger sister, and is the 3rd in line granddaughter & the 3rd granddaughter to be named with a K name) seemed to enjoy playing with and watching TV with Child Rum. They have the same interests. Child Rum loves to watch Noggin and all the shows there whereas K1 prefers the "tween" shows on Disney.

As I might have mentioned before, I'm sending Christmas gifts out later part of November/early December as an excuse not to have to get together for Christmas this year.

Oh yeah, before I forget: Mr. Rum confronted his mother about her not visiting/not calling us to let us know they were in Fairfax so we could visit them, etc. She said they'd start doing that. She doesn't visit (even though Mr. Rum has given them an open invitation to come over) because "mother-in-laws need to stay out of their children's lives". And oh yes, if we moved to Maryland, we'd see more of her. When Mr. Rum told me that (with his mother in the room), I SNORTED. An actual, real, honest-to-goodness SNORT. I told him later that "actions speak louder than words".
                        Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 05-15-2011, 01:55 PM. Reason: claifying

Comment

Working...
                        X