This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth monolayth View Post
    I am getting married on May 5th. Yes that is a Thursday. Yes that is Cinco de Mayo. Yes it is odd. Yes it is in 36 days. And Yes, You May watch! I plan on streaming it online via Ustream.
    I got married on April 1st..so Cinco de Mayo and a Thursday aren't so odd to me

We agreed on a Friday and he said I could pick any date as long as I showed up and married him, so I did.
    Everything is great when you're a kid, then you grow up and suddenly you're afraid of the monkey bars...

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
      What do you think?
      If saving money is your thing, really consider this.

My grandma is making my wedding dress.

We went to places like Jo Ann Fabrics and Hancock, looked through the pattern books and I saw a pattern that I loved.

A lot of the wedding dresses in the books are sleeveless, but there are a fair number that are classic (sleeved) styles, and there's always the costumes that could be done in white/off white/cream/ivory/whatever and will still look GOOD.

If you want to see the pattern I chose, it's post #18 in this thread. (It'll have shimmery opal-ish fabric instead of lace when my grandma's done with it.)
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

SO, 24 more days. Soon under 20 days. weird.

We took a dance class last week and will do so again on wed. So awesome.
        My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
          she is also a slightly old-fashioned Southern lady and I keep seeing myself in some kind of Steel Magnolias-esque monstrosity
          You know this lady better than I do - if it were me, my decision would be based on the question "Can I trust her to make the gown as I want, and not according to her own ideas of what a bride "should" wear?

My mother has made a whole raft of wedding cakes over the years, and a lot of them haven't been designs that she would have chosen, but then as she says "It's their day, not mine".

Love the idea of the antique pins!
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Picked up our marriage license today.
            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Aw, everyone's dresses look awesome! You're making me all nostalgic for my wedding and my $99 David's Bridal clearance dress.

My mom got it vacuum-sealed in a box for some reason. I was going to sell it on ebay...it's not like I'll ever fit into it again, and will probably never have a daughter. But she insisted.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

EEEEEEEEE................Just realized my hair/makeup trials are in 4 days!

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
                  So I'm curious - for those of us on here planning a wedding, when will it be occurring?

Mine will be in the fall - not sure what year yet though. I've got to graduate first (next spring) and then find a job and an apartment. But that hasn't stopped me from planning or getting stuff. I just figure its easier for me to spread out the expense over a longer period of time.

And since everyone else is posting pretty dresses, here's the one I've fallen in love with:

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_...t-front-9T9218
                  Yours and Mono's dresses are gorgeous!

No date yet for me and SO, but that's okay. We're pretty methodical with the big stuff and also gotta save up some $$ too. I'm already sold on getting married at Peak n Peak. It's so BEAUTIFUL and also from what I've heard the service is great there too ( SO's grandparents had their 50th anniversary there). I have an idea of what I want for my wedding day duds (a simple and elegant all white gown with no train and a short to elbow length veil with a tiara). I already told SO that I won't have purple nor pink as our wedding colors (I don't wanna torture the guys and him in being forced in those colors). I definitely will not do make up or fake nails (I hate hate hate the feeling of caked on make up, plus wearing fake nails seems so awkward to me). As for hair, I need something simple and elegant, more than likely an updo with some curls hanging out (I have long,thick curly not to mention a giant PITA to take care of hair). SO already has his suit (there's a place in Miami that does all sizes, designs and colors for suits...the service there is awesome and they've been around for years and this is great for him since he's 6'10"). The other stuff like rings, invites and such are still being researched, though I have to admit I'd like a bit of an Asian themed wedding (I'm a fan of Asian decor and culture). One thing I'm definitely looking into is Ustream or anything similar since I have a large family and quite a bit are overseas. I'd love to have my grandparents from both sides of my family there (while they're still alive) but I know with their health and financial issues there's no way they can come to the U.S.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                    I hate to tell those of you planning weddings this, but most of your invitees will not RSVP, even with a reply card and pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelope to mail it in. When you call, they'll either say "I assumed you knew I was coming" OR "I assumed you knew I couldn't come." It is extremely annoying, but everyone I've ever known who has gotten married and had more than 12 people at the wedding has had this problem. When one of my husband's cousins got married, his aunt later told me that we were the ONLY guests who RSVP'd. So, yeah, plan to call a good 60-80 percent of your guest list to find out if they're coming or not.
                    Can I add to that: about 20% of the ones who do RSVP will change their mind. We ordered as per our RSVP's and chase up calls for the evening disco/reception food and due to about 10 people (out of 50 or so) leaving after the wedding breakfast (when they said they were staying) we were massively over catered. At whatever price we'd paid per head I would have been slightly annoyed if I hadn't been slightly wined up by then and releaved everything had gone ok.

A couple also didn't turn up at all.

A friend is having the same problem as 42's aunt and people have been reminded four times now that they need to RSVP and give her any outfit requests/food issues asap. (She is doing a medieval wedding and self catering. She makes costumes as a side business so most of the wedding party and friends have had something made by her). I still expect to hear someone ask her a couple of weeks before the wedding to knock up a dress for them and see them spit roasted.
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I'm getting to the point where I really need to get my engagement photos planned. But to do that, I need my ring. Which means the jeweler needs to get moving and send me the CAD image so I can approve it or make changes.

Originally, we were going to use two rings from my mom's great aunt. Both rings are c.1915, art deco, and gorgeous. However, the 3-stone sapphire ring (engagement) is falling apart, and the eternity band isn't in great shape. The engagement band is going to be a recreated version of the original, with the original stones, but in white gold instead of platinum for sturdiness. So the wedding band will be for formal or semi-formal occasions, and I'll wear the engagement band as my everyday. Dammit, I want my sparklies already!

Comment

I am 10 days out.

that is all.

Comment

Are you zen yet?

Comment

Pretty much.

Although I wish my parents would quit acting like children about the whole walking down the aisle thing. (mom & step father wants step father involved and dad wants it to be only him)

Very tempted to walk myself and have neither side win.

Comment

I'm strongly leaning towards walking by myself.

Who would I choose, otherwise? My favorite brother, who's the best man? My mom, who'll be crying the whole time? One of my BILs and have the other one feel left out? One of my sisters or my SIL and have the others feel left out?

Damn it, I wish Zorak (the former dog of the property) hadn't died. I'd have him to do it.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Mono, maybe have dad walk you half way and step dad the other half? Or forget parents all together and let the kids walk you down the aisle. I don't remember how old the baby is, but I do seem to recall there are older children in your family as well.

Good luck with this. Hope it all works out for you and you have a wonderful day.

Comment

Working...
                                X