This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I've been trying to get hold of you people!!"

The above is a verbatim quote from a call I had this morning. I had spoken to this woman on Monday when she called looking for information. I was covering someone else's lunch at the time and was away from my own desk and files (plus I was babysitting 5 other lines, all of which rang at various points during my conversation with her). I apologised for the gaps in what I was able to tell her at that time, and offered to call her back in 15 minutes when I would have access to the information. She DECLINED to give me her number - I asked twice - and stated she would call back. I told her our office hours and my regular department, and thought no more about it.

Well, this morning I had a snarky voicemail from her. She said she'd been trying to reach me "all week" and was annoyed I hadn't called her. She was also annoyed that she did not know my last name to use the staff directory on the phone menu. The kicker (well, the second one, after the whole "no, I won't give you my number but I expect you to call anyway" part) is that in order to *reach* the staff directory, you have to listen to the instructions that say press 2 to reach my department (which I had told her twice).

I made a lot of faces at my phone today. But I booked the sale.

Gah! I hear you, Buglady.

What's easier?

1. Leaving a number and getting other stuff done until someone calls you back when they are both available and able to help you ?

or

2. Spending MORE time repeatedly calling in the slim hope that the person you want MIGHT be available and able to help you?

People! Option 2 is NOT faster. Option 2 wastes YOUR time. Option 2 automatically cancels your right to complain. Option 2 makes me want to program your re-dial button to deliver a painful shock.

Edited to add: And since we don't have a toll-free number, option 2 costs YOU money.
    Last edited by Dips; 04-26-2007, 07:09 PM.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
      I made a lot of faces at my phone today.
      That's one of the nice things about the fact that picture phones never really took off -- as long as you're keeping a polite and pleasant tone, you can make all the faces you want, and even flip the other person off, and they'll never know it.

God knows I've done that myself enough times.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        That's one of the nice things about the fact that picture phones never really took off
        Hee. I think that's WHY they never took off, and never will...

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
          2. Spending MORE time repeatedly calling in the slim hope that the person you want MIGHT be available and able to help you?
          That's the really annoying thing. She only called after the main switchboard went over to the automatic system at 4:00 (and then didn't listen to the system). My department stays later than the main receptionist, hence the ability to quick-transfer given on the main greeting, but this woman decided that I'd lied to her about my department's hours, rather than listening to the message.

Comment

I should also mention that when she did finally deign to leave a message with her number, I called her back 8 minutes later (as soon as I was off the previous call). I still don't think she got it that I couldn't phone a number I didn't have, or respond to messages she never actually left!

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
              I still don't think she got it that I couldn't phone a number I didn't have, or respond to messages she never actually left!
              Heh. That reminds me of my very favorite voice mail. It was a serial re-dialer (aka "button-monkey") who had finally given up and left a damn message already.

The message was, "I don't want you to call me back. I WANT you to pick up the phone."

Since he didn't leave a number I was able to grant that first wish quite easily.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I do not know how many times I have hit myself with a pizza box when taking phone orders. they do not even know their own phone number let alone their OWEN FRIGGIN address, they can not DECIDE what pizza to have, 4 year olds should NOT BE ORDERING pizza (though the parents think this is "cute"), they call back after the order is already made and going out the door to cancel the order, they sperak in a very very very very quiet tone of voice and the volumn control of the phone is high enough to shatter glass.........
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Oy, don't get me started. We purposely don't give out extensions or last names around here, but we do give customers a case number to reference. The point being, the case can be accessed by any agent, and it has all of the information in it and is up to date. For some reason, people ignore this, and still call back wanting to talk to me, like I'll remember their call out of the dozens I've taken.

On a relatively busy day, I average 70-80 calls, and I take the most calls in my department, generall speaking, as I'm the most efficient. You have to be pretty memorable, or someone I've talked to a lot before, for me to remember you out of that mess.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                    On a relatively busy day, I average 70-80 calls, and I take the most calls in my department, generall speaking, as I'm the most efficient. You have to be pretty memorable, or someone I've talked to a lot before, for me to remember you out of that mess.
                    I know how you feel, I get people rining me expecting me to know excatly who they are and why they are ringing. I'm afraid though with the amount of bookings I take, I can't remember your job just from your name and some vague mention of a data projector. Sigh.

I also love the people who you tell you will check something for them and call then back when you know. Needless to say they keep ringing you to find out and you ahve to keep telling them you don't know yet, grrr.

So is anyone working on the zapping redial button?

Comment

Working...
                    X