Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Local discounts....for people who may not be locals. Riiiiiight.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local discounts....for people who may not be locals. Riiiiiight.

Last night I dealt with some....interesting people.

A little background: As Key West tends to be expensive, many establishments offer some form of local discount. At the Landmark Luxury Hotel, we gave $1 off of drink prices to locals. At the Waterfront Bar, we give special drink prices to REGULARS (not just locals). Various places do various things. The New Job offers 15% to locals, but either we have to know you, or you have to provide a local ID (or at least some proof that you reside in or around Key West, like say a phone bill, lease, whatever). Everyone with me? Good.

So, a group of four (two older folks, two twentysomethings) sit in my section last night. I get their order, and right as I am about to go put it in, I have the following conversation...

TWENTYSOMETHING WOMAN: "And don't forget our local discount."
    JESTER: (in usual smartass-but-funny tone) I can't remember something I haven't been told about.
    TSW: "Heh. We're locals. Just thought I should tell you."
    JESTER: "No problem, ma'am. I just need to see at least one local ID for that discount."
    TSW: "Oh, wait. I left my ID in the car. (to TS Man) Do you have yours with you?"
    TSM: "Nope, it's in the car too."
    JESTER: "I'm sorry folks, but management is quite strict on this. I will need to see some form of local ID to give you that discount."
    TSW: "No problem."

I go about ringing in their order, and the TSM goes down to the car to fetch their ID's. A little while later....

JESTER: "So, did you get that local ID?"
    TSW: "Oh yeah. Honey, show him the ID."

At which point the TSM pulls out a MILITARY ID. For those not familiar with them, U.S. Armed Forces ID cards identify the person, but they say nothing about location....at all. They merely identify ther person's name, date of birth, and show a picture of them. Military personnel get shuffled about the country quite a bit, so this is not that surprising. However.....

JESTER: "I'm sorry, I need something that says Key West folks."
    TSW: "But we're stationed here at Local Military Base."
    JESTER: "I understand that. But without SOMETHING that says you live in the area, I can't offer you that discount. Unless, of course, someone on the staff knows you, which is basically the same thing."
    TSW: "But the girls do it for me all the time." [Emphasis mine.]
    JESTER: "I'm sorry ma'am, but as I said, management is very strict about this." [And they are.]

Now, the people didn't bitch and moan, but did seem slightly put out. After all, they were basically saying that they come in often, and always receive said local discount, despite not having any local ID. Before continuing, please think about that, and read the alst thing TSW said.

Done that? Good.

Because a few minutes later, I was down by the hostess stand and almost starting to feel bad about the whole situation, when TSW came by and said...

"Where are the bathrooms?"

I about laughed my ass clean off my body. You would think someone that comes in that often wouldn't have to ask, wouldn't you?

Don't "forget" about our local discount, indeed. NEXT!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

:snort:

Well, maybe she's never had to use the bathroom before.

Just saying.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      JESTER: "I understand that. But without SOMETHING that says you live in the area, I can't offer you that discount. Unless, of course, someone on the staff knows you, which is basically the same thing."
      TSW: "But the girls do it for me all the time." [Emphasis mine.]
      JESTER: "I'm sorry ma'am, but as I said, management is very strict about this." [And they are.]

Before continuing, please think about that, and read the last thing TSW said.
      I thought you were gonna say that there are no female bartenders, just to make the lie a little more obvious.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
      X