This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fighting Irish

I've just been on a business trip to Northern Ireland. On the way back, the taxi driver told me the following joke:

Apparently, sometime in the 1960s, the Irish government decided to declare war on the USSR. So they set up an official diplomatic phone call to discuss this with the Soviet leaders.

The Russians asked, "How big an army do you have?"
    The Irish replied, "We have a hundred thousand men."
    The Russians pointed out that they had an army of two million soldiers, the largest in the world.
    The Irish said, "We'll go away and think about that, and call you back shortly."

So they did. And they said, "We are the Fighting Irish. We're still going to declare war on you."

The Russians asked, "How big an airforce do you have?"
    The Irish replied, "We have two bombers and a bunch of reconnaisance planes."
    The Russians pointed out that they had several thousand aircraft and trained pilots, the most powerful airforce in the world.
    The Irish said, "We'll go away and think about that, and call you back shortly."

So they did. And they said, "We are the Fighting Irish. We're still going to declare war on you."

The Russians asked, "How big is your navy? How many ships do you have?"
    The Irish replied, "We have three frigates, and a big pile o' fishing boats."
    The Russians pointed out that they had several aircraft carriers, several destroyers, a good number of submarines, and a multitude of other warships. They were manned by over a million hardened sailors.
    The Irish said, "We'll go away and consult our War Council, and call you back shortly."

So they did. And they said, "We are the Fighting Irish. But on this occasion we have decided not to declare war on you."

The Russians asked why this might be.
    The Irish replied, "We would have nowhere to put all yer prisoners!"

In honour of St. Patrick's Day:

Why does everyone look so happy on St. Patrick's Day? Because the "Wearing 'o the Grin" is traditional. (try saying it with a fake Irish accent).

Murphy proposed to Bridget on the 17th, and being the cautious sort she wanted to insure the ring. The insurance company sent her to get an appraisal, and when she got the results she was livid - instead of a diamond, it was cubic zirconium. When she challenged Murphy about this, his answer was "I thought you'd be happy to get a sham rock on St. Patrick's Day".
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      In honour of St. Patrick's Day:

Why does everyone look so happy on St. Patrick's Day? Because the "Wearing 'o the Grin" is traditional. (try saying it with a fake Irish accent).

Murphy proposed to Bridget on the 17th, and being the cautious sort she wanted to insure the ring. The insurance company sent her to get an appraisal, and when she got the results she was livid - instead of a diamond, it was cubic zirconium. When she challenged Murphy about this, his answer was "I thought you'd be happy to get a sham rock on St. Patrick's Day".
      You forgot the
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Also in honor of St. Patrick's Day:

Two Irishmen walk out of a bar... Hey, it could happen!
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          ...Two Irishmen walk out of a bar... Hey, it could happen!
          And into the one next door.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

On the St. Paddy's Day theme - last night my husband and I are out walking when he points up and comments that it's Orion and his dog.

>His dog?

~Yep, Siris (Sigh-rus)

>Psst, it's Sirius

~Nah, it's not that important.

(At this point I'm frustrated because he just stole the good pun, so I make a somewhat more literal response)

>We're talking Greek mythology here, not Egyptian.

~Ah, but today the Egyptian god would be more appropriate.

(Now, I know which one he's talking about, and I did start it, so I'm trying really hard to figure out the pun. Eventually I give up.)

~Because he's O'Siris

(groans and pokes from me to him)

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              And into the one next door.
              I learned yesterday that the shortest St. Patrick's Day parade in the world is in a village in County Cork, Ireland...

it goes for 100 yards - between the village's two pubs.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I don't want to seem stupid, but i really don't get this, i've tried a few different Irish accents (dublin, county cork etc) but can't quite get it.

ah well
                Last edited by Ree; 03-24-2010, 01:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
                "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                  I don't want to seem stupid, but i really don't get this
                  wearin' o' the green...
                  Last edited by Ree; 03-24-2010, 01:41 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The Wearing O' The Green.

Comment

I don't get it.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        wearin' o' the green...
                        Do'h!

I just face palmed, thanks guys, but i'm not quite sure that was worth it...
                        "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                        Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Working...
                        X