This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mold!! Long

I work for a company that rents apartments to college students. Very lazy college students as evidenced by this story.

I got a phone call last week from a girl's mom screaming that her daughter just called her to cry about the "black mold" in her bathtub. Why the mother was calling, I don't know, seeing as how this girl is 22 years old, but I digress. Anyhow, black mold everywhere and if we don't get out immediately and clean it up, she's going to call every newsstation in the area, the CDC, Judge Judy, you name it. Nine times out of ten, when someone calls about black mold, it's usually a very minor case of mold, but not the ominous dangerous version of black mold that can cause problems, and more often than not, it's mildew. But seeing how upset both this mother and daughter were, the owner himself went out to see what the problem was.

He comes back about ten minutes later, in total and absolute shock. I'm thinking, "Oh God, It's bad. The whole bathroom is going to have to be gutted and remodeled." He looks at me and says "Those little b*%ches." He goes on to tell me that the bathroom, including the sink and bathtub were filthy! Had not been cleaned in the ten months they lived there. Garbage can overflowing, toilet black as could be, sink had so much soap scum in it that there was a pool of water.

And the bathtub. You know that nasty pink mildew that looks like splashed pepto bismo? On all three walls. On the tub sides and bottom. Oh, and that menacing black mold that started it all? Nowhere to be found. Tons of black mildew on the shower curtain and in the caulk between the tub and wall, but no mold. I've never seen him so mad in my five years working here. He said when he pointed it out to the three girls who were there, they at least had the sense to look guilty but were still put out that he hadn't shown up with a bucket of bleach water and a scrub brush. Long story short, apparently the girl who called was scared that her mother was going to see the nastiness when she came to visit that weekend and would ream her out, and thought that by complaining to us, we would clean it for her!!!!

Needless to say, my boss called the girl's mother back to inform her that it was not black mold, and that we would not be cleaning it!! I'm dying to know what the mother said when she came up to visit!!
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

I'm humiliated.........you found my bathroom.......

No lie, I know exactly what you are talking about!

Once every 2 or 3 weeks, I bleach my tub and take a Mr Clean Magic Eraser at the walls. CLR won't even get rid of this rust and grime......and the worst part is that I am not lazy and I don't refuse to clean my bathroom. My apartment is just that nasty.

That nasty pink rust develops back with a vengeance within days of bleaching the tub, and that black mildew...........rrrrr
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Blas, you and I seem to have similar bathrooms. The paint on my walls have large dried bubbles in them from old water damage. They've always been there. There are odd little tiny yellow spots on the walls. It looks like someone took a used q-tip and dabbed at the wall. I've tried scrubbing to no avail. So I'm repainting after my show goes up.

Comment

My bathtub is orange. (Iron in the water). I clean it with Ajax only when it gets really bad because I don't want to kill the culture in the septic tank (that we haven't found yet).

Dear God, to not clean your bathroom for 10 months? I wipe everything down (its all tile and porcelain with an enamel tub) every day to delay any buildup or growth.

Truely disgusting. Boss should've given the mom a list of cleaning supplies and told her that her daughter needs some housekeeping lessons. Better yet, if she's dating someone, give him a tour of what he has to look forward to.
        ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Before I moved in our house was it boy central and apparently cleaned very rarely. I clean once a week and the shower is my arch nemesis. No matter how much bleach, Comet, Tilex etc I can never get the shower as white as I would like it.
          Last edited by TruthHurts; 04-17-2007, 10:23 PM.
          My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

I can be pretty darn messy, but wow. I live by myself, so I let things get a little behind, but never like that. I always at least take out the trash and wipe down the sink and toilet once in a while.

OT, my mom just got me one of those Scrubbing Bubbles clean your shower for you thingies. I'm excited to see if it actually works, once I use it for more than one day. Now I just need to remember to hit the button every day, and I'll be set!
            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I actually do use the scrubbing bubbles thing and I love it. I was having a hell of a time trying to keep my shower clean (I'm fairly certain the whole thing is older than I am and possibly older than my parents) and suddenly my grout is clean and tiles have no scuzzy crap on them and it's all LOVELY.

Comment

Aside from some soapscum in our tub that seems immovable, our bathroom back home has always been fairly clean.

...except once when I was a kid and there were mushrooms growing in one corner; thought it was the coolest thing.
                "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I still live with my parents, and they're both in their 50's, so cleaning the bathrooms is my chore. I hate doing it, but I live with my parents rent free, so I do whatever I gotta do.

My mom bought this foam, bubble spray thing on QVC that you spray on tile or tub enamel, leave it for 5-10 minutes and the scum scrubs off. Our tub was so bad that I did it twice in one day. The second time I used one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and then our tub was sparkly clean. Our tub is cleaned once a week and since there's not soap scum, it's super easy maintain.

Those girls? Lazy, lazy, lazy. I remember in college my roommate and I took turns washing the tub, toilet and sink out weekly. Surprisingly, we kept our bathroom pretty clean.

I hope those girls don't get their deposit back. If their parents ask why, I'd send them pics of the bathroom. And point out the difference between very toxic black mold and an un-clean bathroom.
                  Do I dare
                  Disturb the universe?
                  In a minute there is time
                  For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

T.S. Eliot

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                    So I'm repainting after my show goes up.
                    Use Kilz paint; it'll inhibit future mildew growth. Otherwise your new paint will soon have those ugly yellow stains.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yeesh, even I kept my bathroom cleaner than that at my ghetto apartment in college. I had a funky mildew problem on the ceiling in there for the longest time. One weekend I came back from a horse show or something or another and went in there, and there was water running down the walls and the plaster was bulging! I asked my roommate incredulously when this started, and why in god's name had she not notified management, and she just kind of shrugged at me.
                      A pipe in the vacant overhead apartment had burst. The ceiling could have fallen on us when we were using the toilet, it was so fragile at that point.

As for that mom, she most likely came and cleaned the bathroom for her little pwecious.

Comment

I try to clean my bathroom, once a week, but lately I have been getting lazy.
                        Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                        San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I try to keep my bathroom clean...but it's difficult at times, since the kitty has his litterbox in there. That gets emptied every night, and the excess gets vacuumed up. Even so, the floor looks dirty--no matter how much I try, it looks pretty much the same after I've scrubbed it. The tub/shower stays pretty clean. I take most of my showers at the gym, so it doesn't get used all that much. Even so, all that's usually necessary, is just going over the faucets and chrome trim about once a week.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I don't think my brother has cleaned his bathroom in the 10 years I've had the misfortune to share a house with him, and even he doesn't have mildew! For whatever reason, it just doesn't grow well in the house we're in.

The main bathroom, however, has stains on the ceiling from people smoking while taking a bath. Cigarette smoke would get stuck in the condensation and stained the ceiling in spots of nastiness.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My ex used to live in an apartment with such hard water, the bathroom was always disgusting. You'd clean it, and the mildew would be gone but there always seemed to be a chalky residue no matter what. And the rust stains would appear around the sink taps and drain within a few days. Ick.

22 years old and she can't clean a bathroom? She should have hired someone to clean it before mommy got there, if she was that lazy (though I'd feel sorry for whoever she might have hired).
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X