X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operators Licenses For Computers

Hi All

Red Briggs from Staples here. Inventory Control now, but did you know I was once a Technology Consultant? And boy howdy, in a town where is 60% of the population age of 60, let me tell you, there is alot of tragic humor here. Aside from the fact that I think everyone over the age of 65 should have a driver's exam every 2 years, I also think that regulating the usage of computers for everyone should result in the issuing of licenses by the government of Canada. Here I will break it down;

Learners: Class 5

In this level you are only allowed to use the computer only if a holder of a class 3 license is present in the room, sitting right next to you. There are severe restrictions on what you are allowed to do. Email and word processing in notepad. You are also allowed to operate a Coleco-Vision, under supervision. That's it.

Conditional: Class 4

In this level you are allowed to check email and word processing, but the holder of the class 3 has to be within voice range. "Web-Surfing" as my grandmother (class 4) likes to call it, has to be under direct supervision of aformentioned class 3 holder, and restricted to "Googling" As far as any technical work, let the antivirus take care of it. Class 3 holders will update it for you.

Graduated: Class 3

In this level you are more than capable of surfing the web checking email, and learning the wonders of Word. Yea I know! Great Huh? You may also act as a supervisor for classes 4 and 5. However, there are still lockouts that keep you from making changes to you computer. Desktop patterns and standard program installations are fine, sound schemes and c:, not so much.

Certified: Class 2

In this level, you can operate an mp3 player and all the other perpherials that plug in. You have admin rights to your computer, after you pass the "virus disguised as an exe file" exam. You can even install programs on the advanced settings to choose what you want. Hell, you could even try to teach someone. Anyone aged below 30 can challenge this exam right away.

Technician: Class 1

You can understand DOS. You know what NAT, Firewall, and Pwned means. You know how to remote access your grandparents computer over the internet. You can open the side of your computer and not get scared. You BS your way through Mac OSX and Windows. You update your new computer with the latest drivers and updates before you do anything else. Google is child's play.

And how do you regulate. Simple. A Technician tests you and unlocks your computer little by little based on your progress.

Like that? Yea, so does my technicians.

If you have an suggestions, feel free to post them. I'll update this post with the new suggestions.

For now, I'll shut up.
    Last edited by Red Briggs; 04-24-2007, 06:30 PM.
    90% of the people complain because of the 10% that ruined your day........

Oh, I would kill for that system. Being able to press charges for moronic use, levy fines for random horrible tinkering, refuse to sell on account of inappropriate license...*sigh*. It'd be bliss.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Oh you know it. The part I hate about working in technology is they don't want to learn, they want me to teach them how to do it. Sorry, but that's getting something for free.

Here's the "On" button.

This is the keyboard. This the mouse.

Have Fun.

Comment

Because asking someone to teach them something may mean that they would have to actually think and/or pay someone for the time spent teaching them!

Then if you give them a freebie crash course in X, when they fark X up because they didn't listen, they come back and blame you for not being clear enough. Sigh. Been there, done that, considering making the standard contract apply ($Y per hour, not liable for anything that happens after I leave/that an amoeba could tell was their fault, etc).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Hrm. I think I'm at about 1.5. I put together my own system and I can fix most problems that come my way, but I have no idea what Teamspeak is and I need to look up some DOS commands.
          "Jester, I have an opportunity for you." Uh oh. What does he want me to clean? "It 's a chance for you to make some extra money." Crap, it must be really gross!

-Jester

Comment

Quoth Red Briggs View Post
            The part I hate about working in technology is they don't want to learn, they want me to teach them how to do it.
            You reminded me of some bad memories about 15 years ago, it was a Windows 3.11 machine. My grandmother mentions a friend of hers had a computer and wanted to learn how to use it. I should have said no right away, but she was offering $20/hour. Thankfully, it only lasted about 6 weeks, since she was going south for the winter, and I don't think she learned anything other than Notepad. I believe she wouldn't use the computer unless I was there, because she would forget everything we went over the week before, so it was like doing the same session over and over.

Comment

I don't think DOS should be a requirement for Class 1 any longer. And the whole "gaming" angle is just a bit one-sided. I know a lot of really savvy computer geeks who don't do any gaming at all.

I'm a gamer with a budget rig, only one monitor (I don't actually want more), and I use Ventrillo, not TeamSpeak.

But I fully endorse the requirement of some sort of "I won't install viruses on my computer" certificate before people can have any sort of admin level access to their computers.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                I don't think DOS should be a requirement for Class 1 any longer. And the whole "gaming" angle is just a bit one-sided. I know a lot of really savvy computer geeks who don't do any gaming at all.

I'm a gamer with a budget rig, only one monitor (I don't actually want more), and I use Ventrillo, not TeamSpeak.

But I fully endorse the requirement of some sort of "I won't install viruses on my computer" certificate before people can have any sort of admin level access to their computers.

^-.-^
                I agree. I took a bit of one-sided with the gaming thing. Updated. And my "kickass" gaming rig cost me a whopping $700 to build. LOL.

I endorse the virus installation certificate. Updated!

DOS isn't neccessary anymore, but sometimes with some really tough virus's and missing files and what not you have to start a computer in DOS mode to get er going.

Comment

*raises hand*

Umm... may I make a minor little suggestion? Since there are a lot of people who would fall between classes, perhaps set things on a sliding scale? You know, 5.0, 4.9, 4.8, etc.? Because I'm above class 2, fer sure, but not quite good enough to be a 1. I'd place myself at about 1.7, give or take 0.1. I'm usually ok with handling whatever occasional craziness my little computer throws at me, but every now and again I have to turn to BlackIronCrown and say, "Well, now what do I do? It's making funny noises and colors and I have no clue what this error message means." And he's all nice and walks me through it, because he knows I couldn't live without my MMORPG's (CoH/V and EQ2 if yer curious).
                  There is a slight flaw in my character.

Comment

I seem to recall this list before. However, it's a nice list to gripe over.

I myself don't think the game thing is one sided. Everyone plays games on the computer. Everyone may not like MMO or FPS type games. But they're lying their ass off if they say they never want to play any games.

Card games are a good start. Teaches them how to move and click the mouse.
                    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I've seen some real stupidity by people who try to build their own computers. Remember the one my neighbor was tossing with the "furry" CPU fan? Well, I forgot to mention that the heatsink for said CPU was put on *backwards* and had little rubber spacers between it and the chip so it would align "correctly" Uh, isn't the chip supposed to be against the 'sink? I mean, the mount is recessed so the heatsink can fit into it only one way, yet the idiot who built it found another way As if that wasn't enough, I had the machine apart last night, and noticed that the hard drive, power, and other front-panel lights weren't even wired up! No wonder they "didn't work." There's no excuse for that, other than being careless and lazy.

At least things like that give me job security
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        I've seen some real stupidity by people who try to build their own computers.
                        So have I.

My son and I recently built a computer for a friend who had previously built machines for her and her father, but from what I saw, he had no idea what he was doing, and blatantly ripped them off. She suspected as much, but lacking computer knowledge, she had no way to know for sure. So she had me examine the "state of the art" machine he had built for her dad. From what I saw, he took a bunch of ten year old parts, put them in a case, and sold it to the poor guy for $800.

After we had built her new computer, she told my son he could have the old computer that the idiot had built for her. He knows a great deal about computers, and has even fixed ones he found out on the curb on trash day and resold them, so he accepted.

I can't remember what all he found wrong with it. I think there were some things that were connected incorrectly or not at all. But the thing that really blew my mind was when he found a CD laying inside the case.

I don't even want to know what this moron was thinking when he did that.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I hate when patrons come into my library and have no idea how to use the computers. I am not your personal resume maker. I do not have time to answer all of your stupid questions. If you don't understand how to use a computer, you need to have someone who does accompany you.

Comment

Working...
                          X