This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cola Nazi!

I'm guilty of always asking for a "Coke" regardless of the brand name of cola being offered. "Coke" to me is just a generic term for cola. I'll bet if you just pour them a Pepsi they'd be fine with it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Customer service is hard enough as it is.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Boozy, I'm a little suprised. I thought that the "every soft drink is a Coke, regardless" mentality was a specifically southern US thing.

Someone orders a "Coke" or a "Co-cola" down here, it's not strange or unusual for an order taker to follow up that request with "Sure, Hon, what kinda Co-Cola you want?"

Mountain Dew, Pepsi of all sorts, 7-Up, Grape anything...it's all Coke in the south.

Comment

Who knows? It might just be me.

I also call all tissues "Kleenex" and if I need to photocopy something, I say I need to "Xerox" it. I also used to call all pain relievers "aspirin" regardless of their active ingredient until my doctor told me I needed to make a habit of being more specific.

So I clearly have issues that aren't common to all Canadians.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I worked in a place where Pepsi was served so I can definitely understand that frustration. Usually I'd say "Is Pepsi OK?" since "coke" is synonymous with "cola," like Ree said, and sometimes customers would get all bitchy and say "No, now I have to look for something else to drink, I hate Pepsi!" And there were a few stories of yours where it seemed like the customers were complete morons. ("My daughter wanted that thing..." )

But here's where I gotta be honest. A lot of people really don't know the difference between a gordita or crunchwrap or burrito or whatever. It's not as cut-and-dry as, say, the difference between a burger and a chicken sandwich. I, for one, don't go to Taco Bell that often, so I do get a bit confused and might have to ask some questions that some of your customers asked, questions I feel were legitimate and didn't warrant such a rude response. I get pissed off when people came into the pizza place and didn't know the difference between calzone and stromboli and some of the salads, but they didn't know. My job as an employee was to educate them in a polite manner and not make them feel dumb. I know it's rough sometimes, believe you me, but it's all a part of the job.
          "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
            You can take solace in the fact that if you worked at my store and spoke to my customers the way you describe- you definately wouldn't be in that position again. Matter of fact you wouldn't be in any position.
            Yeah, but that's because you're a competent manager. Taco Hell has far too many of the other types.

Come to think of it, much of fast food has the other types, too.

Comment

Nothing personal, but most of your complaints seem to be trivial. You can easily tell them you don't have dr. pepper or whatever...sure maybe they can't read or are blind but they aren't trying to be rude to you. Same goes with the Coke stuff...you know they want the coke equivalent...but the word "coke" has become so common place that it almost classifies a type of soft drink. Of course, I don't know your past history with customers....so that may have something to do with your lack of tolerance. I just think it would be less of a headache and get your blood pressure so high if you wouldn't let things like this get to you.

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post

But here's where I gotta be honest. A lot of people really don't know the difference between a gordita or crunchwrap or burrito or whatever. It's not as cut-and-dry as, say, the difference between a burger and a chicken sandwich. I, for one, don't go to Taco Bell that often, so I do get a bit confused and might have to ask some questions that some of your customers asked, questions I feel were legitimate and didn't warrant such a rude response. I get pissed off when people came into the pizza place and didn't know the difference between calzone and stromboli and some of the salads, but they didn't know. My job as an employee was to educate them in a polite manner and not make them feel dumb. I know it's rough sometimes, believe you me, but it's all a part of the job.
                But the difference between your pizza place and his is that he was working a DRIVE-THRU. With PICTURES of the food items in question. If they didn't know what the wanted, they should have moseyed inside.

And a Taco Bell with no Dr. Pepper? Heresy!

Comment

Wow, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking those responses were overly harsh.
                  Seriously man, you have a short fuse. Life's too short to get that worked up over the little stuff.

Thought the happy meal thing was hilarious, even though you meant it to be serious.

Comment

It seemed that most of the offenders where pretty easy going about it, though.

Comment

I used to be a B.K. slave so I can understand rogue being frustrated at people asking for thing that are not on the menu (everyone always seems to think that they are in macdonalds ,sigh)

That being said, when we were asked for Irn Bru (Mc Dees sold it, we didn't) we did not say 'strike one' to the customer, but 'we don't have Irn Bru, we have cola, diet cola, fanta or sprite' help them out a little

And people asking for 'happy meals' and 'chicken nuggets' ARRRGH! irritating? Hell yeah!, but we sold items like it so, go with it.

These come under 'customer errors' and not 'customer did this just to spite me' so basically, (sorry rogue) the only suckage I witnessed in the post, came from your side. (unless there was something I missed)

The only incident in this vein I would have posted (if I had had the opper-chancity all those years ago ) would be this one;

The queue was right up the shop, all the tills were on, stess levels high, it was The Lunch Time Rush (just settin' the scene )
                      Man comes up to me and booms his order 'I want a big mack!'
                      me (for about the third time that day) 'We don't have big macs, we do have....'
                      man *strutting up and down the queue* WHAT!!! This is mac Donalds! and you don't have any Big Macs!! Thats ridiculous!!'

me 'No sir, this is Burger King, and we have never sold Big Macs, we have whoppers? or we ....
                      Man, very sheepishly 'can I have a whopper please?'

I tell this one often, and In a bizzare way, it kinda made my day.
                      Last edited by tintaglia; 04-26-2007, 07:57 PM.
                      "...and you've got people. Billions of people walking about like happy meals with legs...." Spike

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                        But the difference between your pizza place and his is that he was working a DRIVE-THRU. With PICTURES of the food items in question.
                        Yeah, I get that. But the few times I've been to Taco Bell I've looked at the pictures and don't see much of a difference. Blonde moments, maybe? (I dye my hair darker so people won't make fun of me). I guess that's a good thing I don't know the menu by heart, though, because who really needs to be eating that stuff anyway?
                        "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

While I do adore the answers you give, I think it would be much better if this was imaginary how we WISH the conversations could go. Cause I can't imagine actually ever saying that to a customer (and not being joking around where the customer KNEW I was joking around) and still having a job.

I sympathize, but maybe keep the snark in your head and try to be nicer to the customers? Maybe only pull it out on the REALLY bad SCs
                          "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

I found your responses completely hilarious! If I worked with you I would end up giggling most of the time.

When I first get to the TB's menu board I always let them know that I will need a minute or two to find what I want on the board. No one seems to mind.

Saying that you want a 'Coke' when you actually mean something else I find dumb. My Texan SIL had to explain to me that down there 'Coke' = any pop. Told her that is just wierd - if I want a Coke I'll ask for one otherwise I will use the pop's actual name since 'Coke' doesn't equal any cola.

When I worked fast food I had a few people go off on me when they would ask for a Coke or Pepsi and that is exactly what they got. They would then scream I meant Mt. Dew, DP, root beer, etc. I'd just tell them that this is SD and we use the correct name here ie. Coke is Coke, Pepsi is Pepsi, if you want something different be specific.
                            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Okay folks, this one's closed.

I don't like the way the first post was going, and although there were a few genuined SC moments in there, generally actions such as that make it harder for everyone else when they have to take the brunt of the SC's fury later. Insulting people is not big and it's not clever. We don't attack first.

Secondly, we don't attack each other. If you have a problem with a thread or post, hit the report button and we'll take care of it. We've had to delete a number of comments in this thread about one of the posters, and we don't like to have to do that.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X