This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    I'm not happy; it's earlier than I have to be at work and I know there's no way I'm making a decision for or against someone I don't know regarding a situation I wasn't involved in. I foresee some kind of fine for refusing to give a verdict or whatever.
    Is abstaining an option? I've never had jury duty so I don't know what is allowable.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      I got one recently. I'm not happy; it's earlier than I have to be at work and I know there's no way I'm making a decision for or against someone I don't know regarding a situation I wasn't involved in. I foresee some kind of fine for refusing to give a verdict or whatever.

But to answer the original question, I can't think of any songs that go with my job but there's a book: 1984.
      Do you get set a questionnaire or something beforehand? Or does it just say turn up at this day and time? If there is a questionnaire, it is usually obvious which answers are the one's that will get you out of serving. Or if possible, talk to the people in charge of the jury pool when you get there.

Not sure how it works where you are from, but we get a questionnaire thingy in the summons envelope that asks us about our jobs, previous contact with the court system, etc. It also asks if you have family on either side of the court/justice system. I thought my dad having worked in the courts for over 20 years would have gotten me exemption, but it didn't. What did was me doing legal studies 15 years ago in the last 2 years of high school. There is also a few questions about your ability to make decisions and things like that.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

When I had a jury duty summons, there were all those questions, but THEN, at sign in on my day, when I got called into a specific case (people 1 - 260 go to court room B now, please) we got asked specific questions that related the case - which was a drunk driving situation where 'our' defendant may or may not have been the person driving. They went through a TON of people who got dismissed for one thing or another, and I was one of I think 6 left out in the seats by the time they had chosen all the jurors they needed. I was very glad to be dismissed, because I have VERY strong opinions on drunk driving...

Comment

The last time I got a summons I was to go in the day after I was going to fly to China for work, so I had to appeal the date. They then sent me one for a date two weeks after the first. I had written that I was going to be in China for a year.

Haven't gotten one since I've been back...I'm wondering if my job now will make me exempt?

Comment

When you clean out your desk before you leave because you don't know if you're coming back the next day.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
            X