This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was certainly bold...

So I'm sitting here at the office minding my own business, when my desk phone rings.

My desk phone rarely rings, and when it does, it's generally an internal call.

I don't recognize the number, and it's not an internal call, so I just let it ring.

The funny thing here is I don't know the passkey to even get into the phone to check voicemail, nor do I really know my own extension (I think I have it written down somewhere...)

Anyway, so it turns out a technical recruiter found me on LinkedIn, and called my work number.

I don't have a resume on LinkedIn with my cell on it (for obvious reasons). But LinkedIn does have a feature where you can "connect" with someone.

I know this was a tech recruiter because I checked LinkedIn, and she'd left me a message there, complete with the number that just called...

I'm not actively looking for new employment right now...so the call came as a surprise.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

You might as well call her back when you get off work. If she's offering you something better, it can't hurt to at least look into it.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
      You might as well call her back when you get off work. If she's offering you something better, it can't hurt to at least look into it.
      I'm actually happy with the job I have right now. Could it be better? Sure. But right now I'm not actively looking.

It just took me by surprise. Usually they contact me on LinkedIn, and don't call my work number.

They should contact me on LinkedIn, tell me about the job, ask me for a contact and a resume, and see what happens.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
        They should contact me on LinkedIn, tell me about the job, ask me for a contact and a resume, and see what happens.
        They should, but they don't always. The exact same thing that happened to you, happened to me a couple of years ago. I was not amused... if for no other reason than that I didn't have a direct line, so he had to go through the switchboard.

I've actually since added a statement to my LinkedIn profile to the effect of, "I shouldn't have to ask this, but don't call me at work."
        "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Yeah, that's totally idiotic of them. But then these are the same folks who spam their customers' address books, regardless of their own customers' wishes.

Comment

Working...
          X