This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB's Checkout Rules...

This is from my Grocery Store days... I only worked there 3 months and yet got the most 'rules' out of it. The job drove me nuts... Literally as I'm sure most of the old timers remember...

1.“Can I get a bag of ice?” I don’t know. Can you? May you? Certainly, you may.

2.Get your child off my security gate. It is NOT a jungle gym.

3.You drop something on my floor. You pick it up. Do not glare at me when I catch you littering. I will be the one sweeping it up later if you don’t. I don’t like sweeping.

4.Your child WILL sit in the seat provided in the cart. Not in the cart itself or on the end like a hood ornament. If you ignore my warnings and your child stands up and falls on his pretty head. You will not sue me, or the store. We will laugh at you. The rules are posted ON THE CART!

5.You will write the corresponding code on the bulk items. You will NOT dump assorted candies or bulk items in the same bag and put a random code on the bag. I will kill you.

6.You will tie up the bag after putting the code on the bag. You will not get angry at me when I pick up the bag and all your herbs/spices/candies/bullshit falls onto the floor. That is your fault for not taking boy scouts and not knowing simple knots. Idiot.

7.If you forget to write the code. Do not make excuses. Do not tell me there are no pens at the bins. I can see the bins from here. There are pens tied to each bin. There are tags available at each bin.

8.Do not get angry with me when I have to A: Look up the code in the book and B: have to call grocery to get the code. You are the idiot who doesn’t know how to write down the code on the bag. NOT ME!

9.When I ask you what the item is, do not tell me, “It’s a bun!” Or “It’s raisins.” Or, it’s a bagel, DUHHHHHHHHHH!” You get the idea. I know what basic food group it is, I need to know what type it is, you brainless moron.

10.Keep your children in order. Do not let them climb all over the next till and ‘play cashier’ It’s not cute and I sincerely doubt you will pay a technician when your child fucks up our registers.

11.Do not ask me if it’s busy/slow, when the store is packed with customers or it’s 2am and the store is dead. You can see this for yourself. Why ask me?? You know it’s busy, why ask me!?

12.When I’m trying to clean my register do not act like I’m doing you a great disservice and washing my belt and scale just to piss you off and slow you down. I cannot read your mind. 30 seconds ago you weren’t here and I was cleaning my belt because it’s covered in sugar, onion skins, flour and blood. Feel free to put your items down in blood. See if I give a fuck.

13.When I’m cleaning my belt, do not stand there and stamp your foot and glare at me. Do not make snotty comments as to me ‘making you’ put your groceries down in CHEMICALS. If you wait a bloody minute, I’ll have the belt cleaned and dried off for your majesty. Hold on for a fucking second!

14.I have wrecked both of my rotator cuffs, my shoulders are FUCKED and if I ask you to take the case of water, beer, or pop out of the cart please do it without glaring at me like I’m dirt. You put it in there, the least you can do is take it out.

15.Do NOT put your basket on the belt and expect me to pick things out for you, your MAJESTY! What? Are your arms broken? Bloody well take them out yourself!

16.Put the basket at the FRONT of the till where all the other baskets are! Do not stick them on the floor in the aisle, on the end of my till where I’m trying to put your groceries… Put them where I tell you, and don’t look at me like that!

17.If something doesn’t scan, don’t start getting huffy with me, I will have to call somebody from grocery. When the clerk finally does show up, do not announce after they’ve left to find the item, that you don’t need it after all. You will not do this. I will not let you. They have already gone looking for the item, they will be back in a moment.

18.Don’t ask me what my name is. My nametag is backwards for a reason. It is 3am and you smell funny and you’re drunk and stoned and you have no right to know my name. You’re insistent on knowing my name because I’m rude, because I won’t tell you my name and you want to report me? Okay. My name is Gertrude.

19.Do not expect me to get off my register and help you look for things, especially when I’m the only cashier here. I’m not your servant, but I will call somebody for you, to help you find it. What? Now you don’t want any help? If you’re trying to pick me up, I have a boyfriend thanks.

20.Please…. For the love of God…. BATHE!!!!!!!

21.If you have the munchies. That’s fine. But make sure you and your stoner friends have enough money. I don’t have the patience for people who purchase $80 worth of junk food and then make me void it off because they don’t have enough, then make me put it back on because you realized that your friend has money, but then realizes he doesn’t have enough and then you want me to void it off… I have to get a manager for each one of those voids. He also has his own things to do…

22.Night workers, Sears, call centers, factories. Do your shopping on your DAY OFF. I do. I do my shopping every Thursday on my day off… Think about that. Don’t come in here at 3a.m. and expect me to be all chipper. You may be done work but I’m stuck here until 8:30 a.m.

23.If your credit card/debit card isn’t working and is declined. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! You have no money! Your card is broken. Go away!

24.If the debit machine isn’t working, stop swearing at it, banging it around. Go 100 feet to the left and take the money out of our bank machine. Dummy.

25.No you can’t bring your pets into the grocery store. There is FOOD in here. It’s against HEALTH REGULATIONS!!!!!!!!

26.No you can’t roller blade or skateboard in here. As I’ve told you before. If you want to come back here at 3a.m. and help the cleaner mop and scrape the marks off the floor, sure, go ahead. What are you doing up at 1 a.m. anyway!? Go home to Mommy and leave me alone.

27.Honey, if there aren’t any condoms in the ‘emergency’ section of the pharmacy, then we don’t have any available. No I can’t open the locked pharmacy gate. No. I guess you and little Suzie won’t be getting any nookie tonight. Bye-bye now.

28.No m’am. As I’ve said to countless others. We can’t open the pharmacy. It’s 4 a.m. and we don’t run the pharmacy. It’s independently owned. I know the shaving cream and things YOU need happen to be locked up in there, but there isn’t anything I can do. You complaining to me about that is like you complaining to Wal-Mart that McDonald’s burgers taste like ass. Come back at 9 a.m.

29.Can’t reach something? Ask a stock clerk. They have step stools and ladders. They can get it for you. Don’t climb the shelves. I will have to get off my register and beat you with my roll of paper towels.

30.No you can’t get photos/vacuum rentals/water cooler bottle redemptions here. It’s 2 a.m. and the courtesy counter is closed. It will reopen at 9 a.m. Do not have a hissy fit. Do not try to bargain with me and ask for it ‘just this once’. I do not have the authority and if I do what you ask. I will get in trouble. I am not willing to get written up for your goddamned water bottle. Capiche?

31.Do not leave the buggies at the end of my till, at the front of my till, abandoned in the aisles, shoved willy-nilly in the lobby, thrown haphazardly in the front doors. You’re blocking precious space and being an asshole and a lazy asshole at that. Put it away where you found it.

32.Do not have a conniption fit if I don’t scan and ask for your goddamned Airmiles. You probably only have 3 on the stupid card anyway. No I can’t scan it AFTER you’ve been given your change and receipt. What do you think this is? Magic Back In Time Land?

33.Don’t be angry if I ask you if you have Airmiles. I am forced to ask, by this corporation I work for. Do not get snippy or rude and certainly do not go digging in your purse after you’ve said no, wait until I’ve rang everything through, taken your money or debit, and THEN give me your card. You moron.

34.Do not scream at me about the prices of grapes, bulk items, organic items, your prescription, your ass cream… I have no control over these things. I just ring them in. If you don’t want them. That’s fine. I can always put them back later.

35.Do not empty your cart onto my belt and then wander away. I don’t read minds. I don’t know where you are, whether you’re coming back and I have a line of people forming.

36.Do not run off and say “I NEED MILK!” and leave half a cart of food on my belt. If you had stayed for more the 2.5 seconds and I’d been able to get a word in edgewise, I would have been able to tell you that I could page a stock clerk to get it. Dummy.

37.If I don’t make small talk, don’t take it as an insult. I probably feel ill right now, and if I open my mouth, I’ll probably puke on you. Do you still want to make small talk?

38.If I decide to make small talk, don’t look at me like I’m shit under your feet. I am human and just because I work in customer service doesn’t mean I’m any less than you. Did you know I have a journalism degree? Did you know I paint and sketch and sculpt? Did you know I’ve won writing competitions? Can you write your way out of a paper bag? Fuck you then.

39.Please… Please…. If you’re going to drool, bleed or pee. Don’t do it on my till. I swear, we have public washrooms, go do it there!

40.If you’re young enough to be dating my little sister, chances are, you have no chance with me. The ability to grow facial hair is a must, and besides sweetie. I have a boyfriend and he’s bigger than you. In more ways than one. So toddle off now and go watch Romper Room, stop hitting on cashiers.

41.Exotic ‘dancers’, I don’t care that you take off all your clothes. Or have the talent and amazing leg and arm muscles to climb poles upside down. Congratulations. What I don’t need from you is the attitude. If I ask you to put the basket back where it belongs, do not give me ‘tude.’ And by the way. Exotic Dancer ID is not sufficient for the sale of cigarettes.

42.We don’t sell cigarettes here. No I’m not lying to you. Yes. It IS 2 a.m. and no I don’t know where else they’d sell cigarettes at this time of night. No it’s not a conspiracy against you. And NO we don’t sell cigarettes! Why? Because it’s illegal due to the fact we have a pharmacy on the premises. No the pharmacy isn’t OPEN!

43.If we’re out of a sale item. Then we’re out. Not kidding you. Is it the grocery manager’s fault? Actually no. It’s idiots like you who come in and buy 30 of the sale item instead of a normal amount. We ordered enough, we just didn’t figure people would ignore the limits we imposed on goods and get sneaky with it.

44.If we have a limit of items. “Only 4 per customer” and you send all your kids and extended family to clean out the cooler and buy them individually… Don’t get upset with me when we figure out your scam.

45.If it says EXPRESS LANE 1-16 items. That means no more than 16 items. Do not come into my lane with two carts full of groceries and then get irate when I send you away. If I hear, “I don’t have time to read fucking signs!” come out of your mouth, I will punch you in the head.

46. My job is to take your groceries and punch them into the computer, if you, your child, your nephew, husband who thinks he's funny takes ANY of those items and scans them. I will punch you and your funny family in the head. Because once you've done that, chances are you've scanned it more than once, and we all know what happens when I need to void things... "Manager to cash 4 for override." and we all know you don't like waiting. So keep your fucking hands to yourself.

47.Just because it says EXPRESS LANE does NOT mean I’m supposed to move at the speed of light. I am human and we do not have self-check lanes so you’ll have to put up with me. I do not appreciate being talked down to by assholes, I’m ringing through your order as quick as I can, one more smart-ass remark and I’m going to shove this pineapple up your ass.

48.No. I DO need to scan all 403442392 of those fucking cans in your cart. Nobody’s more upset about this than me. Yes I do need you to lift up those cases of water, pop. I wasn’t made aware of the codes for those items, they are scanned by UPC and there’s no fucking way I am going to memorize 12 numbers each for each damned case.

49.Telling me the price of the item when it doesn’t scan, does NOT count as a price check. And telling me “Ohh, I think it was 2.99 or something like that…” Certainly does NOT count. So I will have to page for a price check. Don’t scream at me and get wounded and upset that I don’t trust the almighty customer. You’re right. I don’t trust you.

50.No I can’t just make up a price for the item if it doesn’t scan. Are you retarded? Did your mother drop you on your head on purpose? This isn’t a garage sale. This is a grocery store. You moron.

51.You’re 5 cents short? What do you expect me to do about it? Your change is $2.99 don’t get upset when I give you $2.99. I asked if you had a penny. You said no. So it’s not my fault. IT’S YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

52. If you do not want an item, do not have enough money for an item and have no more use for the item. Please hand it to me. Do not stick it in the impulse bin, do not stuff it in the magazine rack, do not drop it onto the floor at the end of my till. HAND IT TO ME. I do not like having to pick up rotted/thawed food at the end of my shift. Not fun.

Quoth Retail's Bitch
    1.“Can I get a bag of ice?” I don’t know. Can you? May you? Certainly, you may.
    I agree with most of the other rules. However, when it comes to "may I" vs "can I", if the customer is polite about it, why worry about it? Now, "can I" and "may I" are both a lot better than, "get me a bag of ice."
    When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Where's the ass cream??

What's with all the ass cream today, anyway?

Comment

Quoth Retail's Bitch
        2.Get your child off my security gate. It is NOT a jungle gym.
        If it were, it might improve parent business--any innovatours reading?
        Quoth Retail's Bitch
        11.Do not ask me if it’s busy/slow, when the store is packed with customers or it’s 2am and the store is dead. You can see this for yourself. Why ask me?? You know it’s busy, why ask me!?
        I know it's foolhardy to assume others have my sensible motives, but when I ask that, I'm really asking how busy it is for that time of ther day or week--for future reference, or out of curiosity as if weather or special events are a factor.
        Quoth Retail's Bitch
        14.I have wrecked both of my rotator cuffs, my shoulders
        Sorry to hear that.
        Quoth Retail's Bitch
        25.No you can’t bring your pets into the grocery store. There is FOOD in here. It’s against HEALTH REGULATIONS!!!!!!!!

26.No you can’t roller blade or skateboard in here. As I’ve told you before. If you want to come back here at 3a.m. and help the cleaner mop and scrape the marks off the floor, sure, go ahead. What are you doing up at 1 a.m. anyway!? Go home to Mommy and leave me alone.
        So it's that kind of harassment that keeps people from buying newfangled mobility aids and OCD-assisting penguins?
        Quoth Retail's Bitch
        43.If we’re out of a sale item. Then we’re out. Not kidding you. Is it the grocery manager’s fault? Actually no. It’s idiots like you who come in and buy 30 of the sale item instead of a normal amount. We ordered enough, we just didn’t figure people would ignore the limits we imposed on goods and get sneaky with it.
        I've seen shortages on goods with no limits and, sorry, I DO blame the store when they're out of what I came for if it's because they've made it a loss leader.
        I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth Retail's Bitch
          49.Telling me the price of the item when it doesn’t scan, does NOT count as a price check. And telling me “Ohh, I think it was 2.99 or something like that…” Certainly does NOT count. So I will have to page for a price check. Don’t scream at me and get wounded and upset that I don’t trust the almighty customer. You’re right. I don’t trust you.
          When I worked at Wally-World as a cashier, I actually ended up getting in trouble for this quite a bit. When we had something that would not scan, what we were supposed to do was:

1. Try to scan the item again just to be sure that it took correctly the first time;

2. If that fails, try to type in the UPC manually;

3. If that fails, page someone from that department, give them the item description over the phone, and get the correct price;

4. Fill out a "Manual Scan Form" to let the UPC office know they missed something. The form included an item description, department code, UPC code, and the price;

5. Get a CSM (Customer Service Manager) to come to the register and sign off on the form acknowledging the price was correct and the "Hand Key" (when a price was manually keyed) was authorized;

6. Manually key in the department code, UPC, and price for the item so the transaction can be completed.

This process would take upwards of 20 minutes to do if, and I mean IF you could actually locate those people and the form you needed to fill out. Needless to say, since I was usually overworked (meaning I was doing the work of several cashiers - in the case of one evening I was the only open register on the front end on the busiest night of the week for about 2 hours) and I could usually not locate anyone in the appropriate department or a CSM, this meant that if something didn't scan, it actually went something like so:

1. Try to scan it again;

2. Key the UPC manually;

3. If that didn't work, ask the customer if they remembered what the price was;

4. If they don't, and have something similar in the cart, scan that item instead (most customers were happy with this);

5. If that fails, make up a price and ask if that's good for them;

6. Manually key in the "Phillip Discounted" price.

I did get in trouble a couple of times, but I would always point out that the system fails if I can't find anybody to help me (90% of the time I was working) and the company valued our scanning stats above even correct procedure. Besides, the company didn't care about me at all, so why should I care about doing my job correctly (classified part time but working full time, was subjected to pay freezes, people I never worked with did my evaluations, was transferred out of the dept I was hired for without notice or my manager's approval, etc, etc)? The only thing I miss about that place is the other employees I worked with, but they are a whole nother story...
          ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
          - Cartman

Comment

18.Don’t ask me what my name is. My nametag is backwards for a reason. It is 3am and you smell funny and you’re drunk and stoned and you have no right to know my name. You’re insistent on knowing my name because I’m rude, because I won’t tell you my name and you want to report me? Okay. My name is Gertrude.
            OK. Hi Gertrude.

A couple rules of my own for customers...

1. Wasps are starting to come out, so please do not leave food garbage in the shopping carts or dump it in the parking lot. I am allergic to wasp stings. They cause me to die.

2. Please make something of an effort to keep your bodily functions under control. I normally find farts life-threateningly hilarious, but not when they are ripped right in front of my face and I walk right into it.

3. If you buy a large TV or piece of furniture or something else bulky that needs to be carried out, don't show up in a tiny car or an SUV filled with kids, groceries, or other junk, and expect me to play tetris and get everything re-arranged so I can fit your item in. No, I will not strap it to the roof. I will be responsible if it falls off and causes a massive pile-up.

4. This is not a flea market, we do not haggle over prices.

5. See that sign that says "For your safety, please do not ride the display bikes in the store"? It is not merely suggestion. If you choose to disregard it, and take out a bunch of shelves and hurt yourself, I am not responsible.

6. No, you cannot skateboard in the store.

7. If you take something out of the frozen food coolers and later decide you don't want it, either return it to the cooler or give it to the cashier. Do not hide it behind a shelf of bath towels or toilet paper or something. I don't like dealing with spoiled food.

8. See those little tags that say "We apologize. This item is temporarily sold out"? That means the item is SOLD OUT. Which means we have none in backstock. No, we do not have it in stock now. Must...control...fist...of...death.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Here's my variation of a couple that have already been covered, plus a few of my own.

If the UPC/SKU is missing or does not work, don't tell say "it's $5.99" and expect me to just punch in $5.99. It's not my fault that the Manufacturer/Vendor/Our Warehouse/Our Receiving Dept in the Store/the Dept the item came from didn't make sure the item and all of the rest of the same had a UPC/SKU. You may give me the price IF I ask you, so that I may use it as a cross reference when I try to search it in our Database. Provided the programmers used a logical word/phrase to describe the item. We need to use a proper SKU for inventory purposes. Even if you are 94 years old, you should know that by now. UPC Barcode Scanning Systems have been common for a good 20 years now.

Don't get mad if we're out of a Sale item, because you have come in on the last day of the Sale.

Doing a Return? No Problem! Just have a valid receipt. No Receipt? No problem!
              Just have a valid Driver's License and don't get pissed when:

A) I tell you I'll have to give you Store Credit. (No, I can't put it back on your Credit Card just because you went to all the trouble of bringing in your CC Statement that shows you made a purchase from us on such-and-such date.

B) The Store Credit is for 20% less than what you paid. Our biggest Sale of the year is 20% off. How do I know if you bought it then, or even from us? Many items will have a UPC that is not specific to only our Store.

C) In either case, Receipt, or No Receipt, do not throw a hissy fit if I page the Dept to come to Returnland, and we have to wait, so that they can inspect the $100.00 Faucet/Power Tool/Electric Wallmount Heater to make sure that it is complete/unused/the EXACT item listed on the receipt (if there is one) and not your worn out 5 year old item that you repackaged in the box of the new one that you bought. And if we catch you at your little scam, (after we say "gee, it looks like you accidently put your old one in here!")
              for chrissake don't try to convince us it's the new item! Hang your head in shame, and immediatley get the Hell outta the Store and never come back!
              In the case of any Return, keep in mind that no Store, at least in my State, are required to take an item back and compensate you in some way, unless the item is a Bona-Fide Defective.

Don't be insulted if I pen your $20.00 and up bills to check for counterfeit! Even if you are a regular Customer and have spent $3,496,128.97 in our Store over the 60 years you've been dragging your sorry 38 year old ass in here. It's not a judgement of you, you could have received the bill from anywhere, even the Bank! Think about it, if that 20 is bad, maybe other five you got from that place are too! Wouldn't you like to know?!? You could then take them back, and tell them that they gave you bad bills, and hope they square it away for you. I'll even check your other bills if you like. Just takes a sec.

If you are going to go to all of the trouble to check the shelf tag for the price of an item, take an extra second and study the description on the tag a little closer, even compare the numbers under the Bar Code of each to make sure they match. Especially if the price seems too good to be true and/or the item just seems to be out of place. If just one item is out of place (most likely by a Customer) I'll politely challenge you on the price. If one of our employees had a Brain Fart and loaded a whole section with an item that doesn't match the tag, and the tag price is lower than the actual price, I'll honor that price, even if it's below cost (may have to get a Manager's approval on pricey items) and you can rest assured that a person from that Dept will be notified of the error just as soon as I can get ahold of them.
              Meow.........

Comment

Here's a few of mine, cool thread RB. Parking lot related

1. Ask the cashiers up ahead for info, not me. I'm directing traffic in a busy area meaning I don't have time to help you.

2. Stop telling me how to do my job. Traffic's held up, I can't do shit about it, just sit in your car and wait or get there earlier.

3. If you want my attention do not honk your horn; open up your window and yell excuse me politely and I will help you. Wait till I'm done with a customer and don't be surprised if I sound pissed at you because you didn't get any attention when you could see that I was busy.

4. If you see food in my hand it means that I'm off the clock or on break and will not help you.

5. Do not think that you can park in a area you're not allowed in and get away with it; I will catch you. You do not know that I'm a cross-country athlete and can run a 5:02 mile. That basically means you're screwed and will be taken care of.

6. Stop giving me stories on how you forgot your VIP or suite pass, I will not buy it and not let you in.

7. If the pass is expired, it's expired. It's useless to try and argue and I will turn unpleasant about it.

8. Don't even attempt to run me over because we will get the cops.

9*. Just because you're a affluent person and drive a Lexus, Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, or whatever does not mean that you are smarter than me. It means you're just rich and a jackass. Just because I'm some 18 year old kid does not mean that you are smarter than me or better than me. I write short stories in my spare time, I play guitar, I've written music, made films, produced a charity video, and study martial arts. I can speak Japanese but not fluently, just enough for me to get by in Japan. You're not better than me, get over it.

10. Follow our directions, we know what we're doing not you.

11. We do not have valet parking, do you see a sign that says we have it? Well, to save time we don't.

12. I would appreciate it if you learned to fucking read. Look at your pass and check the sign at the lot you want to get into. If the words do not match, you can't get in.

13. Stop trying to act cool in front of your girlfriend. Acting tough will only cause me to deflate your ego and ruin any chances of you getting laid tonight. I will laugh about it too.

14. If the lot is closed, it is closed. We're full meaning we can't take more people and whining at us about it will do nothing.

15. A cop badge, a county club membership, or a family relation will not get you in VIP.

16. Quit driving like you're a wheelman. It makes me laugh at you.

17. Turn down your radio, or I will just move my mouth.

18. Calling me names will only dig you a bigger hole.

19. Do not ask me for discounts on parking fees, I will just tell you to pay or call my supervisor to take care of you.

20. Do not whine about how much you pay for tickets etc. I do not care if you pay that much, you have a BMW meaning that this should be pocket change for you.

21. Get to the event early so I can go home, I have a life you know.

*. I live in one of the top 5 richest counties in the nation, the basketball crowd is wealthy due to a certain automobile industry. It's common to see plenty of BMWs and the like.

We should save this if another hack happens again.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Some basic gas station rules...

1. Remember which pump you used. It's not that hard. The number is printed right on the pump, and it's a simple, one digit number. If I ask you which pump you used, do not just say, "The blue car over there". If it's really busy, there might be six blue cars, and I'll have to look up each one of their corresponding pumps individually, and the only way to tell them apart will be if you remember the total price of the gas you pumped.

2. Be specific when you order your cigarettes. Telling me a brand name, and nothing else, will not help me figure out what you want. I am not psychic. Do you want me to just close my eyes and pick a package out at random? No? Ok then, specify if you would like those cigarettes to be light, regular, menthol, king size, etc.

3. Do not accumulate six months' worth of lottery tickets and wait until 5pm on a Friday to have them all validated at the same time. Yes, I will give you an evil look, and so will the two dozen other customers who have to wait behind you in line.

4. Do not argue with me if you think your lottery ticket should be a winner but the machine said it wasn't. I have no power over the lottery. I cannot give you a prize unless the ticket machine tells me that you have a winning ticket. If you want to argue, go to the lottery office with your ticket and explain to the lottery folks why you think you should be a winner.

5. Do not ask me to give you a winning lottery ticket. Again, I have no power over the lottery. If I had any control whatsoever over who won the lottery, why would I choose to work in a gas station for $0.15 above minimum wage? Oh, you were just joking? Well guess what, I've heard that joke about 7903253 times, and it stopped being funny long before that.

6. Do not yell at me when I tell you that you have late charges on your movies. Do not accuse me of giving you fake late charges, either. Why would I do that? I know of several ways to keep myself entertained at work, and that most certainly isn't one of them. How about you just return your movies on time. If there was an error with the system, I can fix it, and there is no need for you to yell at me.

7. Do not complain to me about the prices. I am not the one who decides the prices of any of the merchandise (especially the gas!), and you most certainly will not get a discount simply for being annoying.

8. If you make a mess while pouring yourself a coffee or slurpee, at least make some sort of effort to clean it up. Or, at the very least, apologize. Do not just leave a big mess for me to clean up. And, if you put sugar in your coffee, do not leave empty sugar packets all over the counter. The garbage can is right next to the coffee area for a reason.

9. Do not attempt to make a transaction while you are drunk. Especially if you want to pay with your debit card.

Comment

1. I will not get fired for you. No, "come on" is not a convincing argument to get fired for you.

2. That is not funny. It is NOT free just because it doesn't scan the first time. Are you stupid or something?

3. I don't go down to where you work and knock the dick out of your mouth, so don't go down to where I work and make my job hell

4. If you want me to do a price check for less than $1.00, you deserve a punch in the head, you cheap bastard

5. No, I do not own and use every product in the store so I know all the details. they don't pay me nearly enough to afford that

6. If my light is off, that is my polite way of saying "F*** off, my break started 5 minutes ago"

7. Lift your own crap. You got it in the cart, you can get it out

8. If I need a manager's authorization to do that, I need a manager's authorization to do that. Period. End of story

9. I am not your credit card company. If the card says its declined, PAY YOUR BILLS YOU CHEAP BASTARD!!! No, it isn't the magnetic strip, that would give me a whole different error message.

10. Due to the Privacy Act, I can not call your credit card company and they will not give me the information. Just pay your damn bills, and don't spend all your money on internet transgendered amputee midget-on-sheep porn.

11. No, just because you are too dumb to use a debit machine on your first try doesn't mean that you will be charged twice.

12. Just try not to be a complete a**hole
                    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth ihatethenba68 View Post
                      4. If you see food in my hand it means that I'm off the clock or on break and will not help you.
                      I LOVE all of the rules, but this one is one of the best!!!!!!!! We should all have signs with that on them and show them to customers.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My rules, all gleaned from real incidents with local Suckway-shopping retards:

1. Please remove your children from your cart basket BEFORE I put the groceries in. There is a reason that the child seat and the basket are separate, and no, that is NOT so that you can let two children ride in it. If you tell me just to "put the stuff in there with them," I will stand stock still like a deer in headlights until you remove the child.

2. Do not EVER request service out when you don't have a cart. If you are carrying two small cakes, and it's just too much trouble to walk them a whole 100 feet to your car, get a cart. I will even get it for you, because it's my job. However, DO NOT make me carry out a single cake for you, and PLEASE do not make my manager do it. She has a hundred better things to do, as do I.

3. If there are floor cones bordering an area, this means you do not walk through it. At all. Ever. Running through a wet floor with a cart causes tracks and footprints, which means I have to re-mop what I just mopped. If I have to mop the same spot more than once in a day, I will get angry. You will not like me angry.

4. If I am talking to another customer about something that does not at all concern you, DO NOT butt in and tell me I'm wrong. Their problem, not yours.

5. If you whine and bitch and get frantic because you can't find something, and I show you exactly where it is, I damn well expect to see that item on the belt when you come through the checkstand. Gratitude is not even necessary, I just want you to actually BUY what you wasted my time over.

6. If the deli/meat/seafood/bakery/floral dept. uses their valuable time to make an order specifically for you, DO NOT void it and send it back when you get to the checkstand. JUST DON'T.

7. If you are a big, strong, physically uninjured man, or are accompanied by said man, DO NOT ask for service out. What are the chances that a very short 16-year-old girl is going to be more skilled at loading groceries than your rich white ass and your He-Man husband?

8. Don't come in to my store drunk, strung out, smelling like god knows what, muddy, soaking wet, covered in cologne or perfume, sneezing/coughing uncontrollably, marinated in a month's BO, shirtless, pantsless, shoeless, bloody, piss-stained, greasy, decorated with smudges of excrement, or while running from the law. This will almost always cause a disturbance. We don't like disturbance.

9. If you are male, over 50, and a total stranger...please, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT tell me my hair smells good. You should not even be that close.

10. Don't wait until I've bagged half your order to tell me that you want paper. I will kill you.

11. If you ask me a question, and I tell you I don't know, that means I don't know. It is not my job to have a map of the store, with the specific placement of every brand of every product on every aisle, every endcap, and every department, with prices and current sales, in my head. I am not the Rain Man.

12. If you don't have enough money for what you're buying, don't try to buy it.

13. If you don't have room in your car, or a car at all, to take home your stuff in, don't buy it.

14. If you don't actually want what you're buying, don't buy it.

15. If you have no ID, and therefore cannot buy alcohol, do not try to buy it.

16. If you dislike what we have in stock enough to take it out on the checker and bagger, don't buy it, and stop giving me that look.

17. If you want cigarettes, tell me the brand, size, type, flavour, and any other information I might need. I am not a smoker, and I am not psychic. If you tell me "pack of Marlboro," and I come back with any one of the two dozen kinds of Marlboro, do not yell at me.

18. If we are out of something, or something is damaged, or something is in the wrong place, or a tag is wrong, or you don't like something, or something is too expensive, or the bananas are too yellow, or your foot itches, it is NOT MY FAULT. I can possibly get it fixed for you, but I did not cause it to happen, and therefore STOP YELLING AT ME.

19. If I greet you, don't pretend I'm not there. Wave back, smile, say hello, ask me a question, something. I am in fact a human being. It is self-absorbed people like you that will eventually make me a retail robot.

20. I don't work in produce. If I tell you this, don't look at me like I'm lying. I don't know a ripe watermelon from my ass, okay, so shut up.

21. Wear deodorant. If you're out, it's on Aisle 9. Make haste.

22. DO NOT DROP THE EGGS.

23. Please, do not abuse the cashiers. If you do so, and I see this, I will have to remove you from the store by the hair, because the cashiers put up with enough shit, and they do not need yours too.

24. If you are male, over 50, and lonely, do not ask me or one of my young female co-workers to take out your one bag for you just so you can have company. Hire a hooker, you loser.

25. Do not make derogatory comments about teenagers in front of me. I may look 20, but I am in fact one of those horrible teenagers.

26. Don't touch me. I don't know you. DO NOT touch me.
                        Discourtesy Clerk, purveyor of fine hay bales, pine scented douche and stuff that's not in bins since July 2006.

Comment

--If you absolutely feel the need to make a mess of some sort, don't just leave it and not tell anyone. To tell you the truth, if you say it's an accident and kinda attempt to look like you're sorry for it, we'll be nice about it. Please, just tell us that there's a mess!!!!!!! You don't even have to say you're the one who did it.

Is that asking for too much?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Retail's Bitch View Post
                            [I]
                            12.When I’m trying to clean my register do not act like I’m doing you a great disservice and washing my belt and scale just to piss you off and slow you down. I cannot read your mind. 30 seconds ago you weren’t here and I was cleaning my belt because it’s covered in sugar, onion skins, flour and blood. Feel free to put your items down in blood. See if I give a fuck.
                            I hate when people flip about this. I get done cleaning my belt, and yeah its going to be wet for a while until it dries (duh). Its sanitizer. Its a helluvalot cleaner than 2 minutes ago when it was wet with chicken blood and some poopie diaper baby whos mom decided it would be fun to go for a ride on the belt. Get over it. ITS CLEAN!

[I]35.Do not empty your cart onto my belt and then wander away. I don’t read minds. I don’t know where you are, whether you’re coming back and I have a line of people forming.
                            When dumbasses do this, i simply start scanning their order. Most of the time they arent back in time by the time I am done, a line has formed, and when they do come back, they are glared at by said customers. I don't have to say a thing. They always feel like a putz at that point. All by themselves.....

[I]43.If we’re out of a sale item. Then we’re out. Not kidding you. Is it the grocery manager’s fault? Actually no. It’s idiots like you who come in and buy 30 of the sale item instead of a normal amount. We ordered enough, we just didn’t figure people would ignore the limits we imposed on goods and get sneaky with it.
                            I do ordering for one of the departments, and I got to say, there are times that I know something is going on sale, and I order alot! Then come load day, ooops, warehouse is T/O (temporarily out of stock). Its corporates fault for putting something on sale and not making sure we could get our hands on it.
                            WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth Discourtesy Clerk View Post
                              My rules, all gleaned from real incidents with local Suckway-shopping retards:
                              You DO work for who I work for!!!

1. Please remove your children from your cart basket BEFORE I put the groceries in. There is a reason that the child seat and the basket are separate, and no, that is NOT so that you can let two children ride in it. If you tell me just to "put the stuff in there with them," I will stand stock still like a deer in headlights until you remove the child.
                              When customers have their kids in the cart, I wont load it. I am not in charge of those kids and it is NOT my place to tell the to move over or scoot that way or hold this.......

7. If you are a big, strong, physically uninjured man, or are accompanied by said man, DO NOT ask for service out. What are the chances that a very short 16-year-old girl is going to be more skilled at loading groceries than your rich white ass and your He-Man husband?
                              The ones that piss me off is welfare mom and her 3 teenagers with 3 bags that want a carry-out.

10. Don't wait until I've bagged half your order to tell me that you want paper. I will kill you.
                              Arg. The worst! I hand them a couple paper bags, "There ya go!" and proceed to bag the REST in paper.

17. If you want cigarettes, tell me the brand, size, type, flavour, and any other information I might need. I am not a smoker, and I am not psychic. If you tell me "pack of Marlboro," and I come back with any one of the two dozen kinds of Marlboro, do not yell at me.
                              I like when they say "I want a pack of ciggarettes." And thats all they say. I swear one of these days I wont even bother to ask them to elaborate. I will just act like I know what they want and bring back some wacky ass brand that no one ever buys.

24. If you are male, over 50, and lonely, do not ask me or one of my young female co-workers to take out your one bag for you just so you can have company. Hire a hooker, you loser.
                              This is one thing that really bugs me, as in I think it is very unsafe. We had this happen one time at our store, at night, An older guy, quite capable of taking out his bag and gallon of milk, wanted a carry out, It was a high school girl that was there and while nothing happened, she said he had parked clear out and away from the building and she really was afraid. Really, its only a matter of time......
                              WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Working...
                              X