This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Are you laughing at me?!" (long)

I'm a paralegal at a fairly large and well known traffic law firm. At the office I'm at the paralegals are almost 100% responsible for manning the phones and getting the initial details of any calls for the attorneys.

If it's a simple matter, anything not a DWR, DUI, DWI, DWS or accident related case we handle it ourselves. Today I got a somewhat standard phone call. The story of a person done horribly wrong by another attorney and wanting us to fix it for them.

Usually I have sympathy for these people but this woman was just impossible and seemed determined to take her anger towards this other attorney out on me.

ME: Thanks for calling (Law Firm), my name is Nic. How can I help you?
    LADY: (Talking fast and agitatedly.) I have a speeding ticket from two years ago that should've been taken care of.
    ME: Was the case handled by us?
    LADY: NO! I can't get ahold of her, this other attorney. I've tried and now I have a warrant out in (Insert Court). I've tried to get ahold of her but I can't and I need you to take care of this for me.
    ME: Do you know if the previous attorney has withdrawn from your case?
    LADY: I just told you! I can't get ahold of her!
    ME: I understand that ma'am but we can't enter on your behalf in (Court Name) until we find out for certain if this other attorney has withdrawn. The court will not allow it.
    LADY: I can't get ahold of her! I keep telling you! What should I do so I can hire you?!
    ME: (Sighing inwardly.) If you believe that calling on the phone is of no use then I would advise writing a certified letter to this attorney formally requesting they withdraw on your case. That way you have proof of contact with them and we can then present that to the court in a petition for withdrawal on your behalf.
    LADY: Then what?! I have a WARRANT.
    ME: I realize that. After you send the letter wait a week to hear from the attorney and if you've still heard nothing then bring that letter and whatever paperwork you have from your previous case to--
    LADY: I don't have paperwork!! She never gave me any!
    ME: (Really worn down from constant yelling and this woman's misdirected anger. I dunno why she's pissed at me and my law firm and not this other attorney she can't get ahold of who caused her to go warrant. As such, I apparently made a noise of some sort. She interpreted it as a laugh. I think it was a sigh.)
    LADY: Are you laughing at me? What's so funny?! Are you laughing at me? WHAT IS SO FUNNY?!
    ME: (Shocked.) Nothing is funny, ma'am. I don't find this other attorney's lack of attention humorous at all.
    LADY: Then why are you laughing at me?! I have a warrant!
    ME: I didn't laugh at you. I might have made a noise but I can assure you it certainly wasn't a laugh. I apologize if you feel it was otherwise.
    LADY: I want to talk to someone else!
    ME: (Definitely sighing now.) Just a moment.

After that point I gave her to the head paralegal who then got shit for not being an attorney and then I told my attorney of the situation. Being a great guy, he was none to pleased with her attitude towards me and kept her on hold for maybe less than a minute at which point she hung up.

I swear. I know her situation was crappy but I was trying to help her. I wish people would learn to either control or properly direct their anger. But the rest of our day is turning out well. We're having a tournament of babes modeled after NCAA basketball betting. lol. Yes, my law firm is wacky fun.

Except for prospective clients like this. Or actual pain in the ass ones.
    Last edited by dreiser; 08-04-2006, 07:26 PM.

She sounds like a bunch of the posters over on the free legal advice forums. The idea behind those forums is a nice one. It lets anybody who registers share advice about legal matters.

Obviously the site owner is quite clear that not everyone who answers questions is a lawyer and they don't guarantee that any advice you get will be legally sound or even that anyone will answer your question. But, hey. It's free.

Nevertheless quite a number of threads look like this:

Post 1 "I gotta go to court in two hours and I need to know if [blah, blah, blah]"

Post 2 "Hey Is anyone going to answer my question? I gotta go to court! Did you get that? Hello?"

Post 3 "How come nobody would answer my question? You guys are nothing but a bunch of ^$%^%*& and this site is ^$&$*%$. I'm going to everyone I know to stay away."

Post 4 [from the forum moderator] "So long and thanks for playing. This thread is closed."
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Totally right on the misdirected anger thing!!! I REALLY try to direct my anger at the appropriate person. I will let a person on the phone know that I am not happy (but not in a yelling screaming way) and that I want the situation taken to the next level. I will let the person know i am exasperated as well...... but I still try not to get angry or yell unless I feel I'm being completely ignored.... anyway directing your anger at the right person is the best thing to do . Don't yell at the cashier about the prices - they can't do anything, can they?? no.

Comment

She's sounds like the type who's waited too long (2 years???) and now is ready to take it out on anybody she can. She reminds me of the customers we get who complain about my parent company. They always use the line of "Now, I know you're not [an engineer of] Palm, but *insert random rants, fireballs, bad language and other junk about how poorly the product is*". Dude, did I do anything to you? No? Well then yell at the people responsible! Just seems ladies like her won't learn that lesson and end up getting put away for a minor traffic ticket.
        Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

*pounces Dreiser*
          Man, it's sad that it took me that long to recognize the handle... You made it! Again!
          *hugs*
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Talking about laughing at people.

Even you did not laugh, I did laugh in a customers face once. But I knew I would get away with it.

People bring dogs into the store all of the time. Well this guy brings in a very young puppy. As he is looking at some storm doors, I see this puppy squat right in the middle of the main aisle and "bend a fresh biscuit" on the floor. The guy turned around about the time he finished up. He screams "Noooooo"

I was laughing my butt off. I watched the whole thing happen. I gave him some paper towels and walked off. Sat there and laughed as this guy had to clean it up. (At least he did).

It was hilarious.

And the last time I've seen him bring the dog with him.

Con - Mon
            Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.

Comment

Quoth Confuzed-Monkey View Post
              As he is looking at some storm doors, I see this puppy squat right in the middle of the main aisle and "bend a fresh biscuit" on the floor. The guy turned around about the time he finished up. He screams "Noooooo"

DANGIT! That's too funny! *goes to get another monitor wipe*
              Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

I swear, talk about entitlement, dreiser. You handled the call well...too bad the woman was such an idiot. You probably would have helped her. *loud sigh*
                The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

I had one guy trying to really 'flirt' with me, or at least make me uncomfortable with semi-unappropriate remarks. I was trying hard not to laugh at him, so much that my face was red. He thought I was embarassed... I should've told him "no, I'm laughing at you." but I was too nice still at the time, heh.

I've grown a bit of spine though and I tell people those remarks are not appropriate. Most of the time they understand. I dont mind some flirting but some guys go way over the top.
                  Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Working...
                  X