X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
    "It must feel so good to be so right."

Or something like that.

I had a guy argue up and down with me once that Kinko's was a printer and not a copy shop. (oh, yeah, somehow I missed the giant press we have hidden in the back. )

Obviously, he knew better than the employees what sort of business it was.
    Oh come on....You know that you had a whole room full of Docutechs with swingaway T-Heads..... Oh Crap, that mystical backroom again.
    My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth bars.of.a.rhyme View Post
      Me: No, they didn't buy us. If they had bought us after the merger with Movie Gallery, they would own all the major movie rental chains in America and therefore they would be in violation of anti-trust laws. That's why we merged with Movie Gallery in the first place, to prevent them from taking control of the company.
      Prof. Dumbass: ...
      Me: ...
      Prof. Dumbass: I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I read that Blockbuster bought you. You should ask your manager, he'll tell you.

A perfectly legitimate conversation, about which I am not bitter. At all. You will just not believe how not bitter I am. I am the anti-bitter, if you will.

Please shoot me...
      Perhaps he was just amazed to find someone with your legal acumen working the counter at the local Hollywood Video.

Hint: Hollywood Video did not "merge" with Movie Gallery. Movie Gallery purchased Hollywood Video. This was an acquisition, not a merger. HTH for your next interaction with Professor Dumbass.

Comment

Quoth Tanizaki View Post
        Perhaps he was just amazed to find someone with your legal acumen working the counter at the local Hollywood Video.

Hint: Hollywood Video did not "merge" with Movie Gallery. Movie Gallery purchased Hollywood Video. This was an acquisition, not a merger. HTH for your next interaction with Professor Dumbass.
        Are you sure about that? If both chains report to the same levels of management in corporate, I'm pretty sure that makes it a merger, if they are seperate entities until the board of directors or thereabouts, then it would be a simple acquisition. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, regardless of how much money was laid out for the other company.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          Are you sure about that? If both chains report to the same levels of management in corporate, I'm pretty sure that makes it a merger, if they are seperate entities until the board of directors or thereabouts, then it would be a simple acquisition. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, regardless of how much money was laid out for the other company.
          Yes, I am pretty sure I learned about this in law school.

Mergers and acquisitions are similar, but different. In a merger, two (or more) business entities combine to form one entity. For example, when Lockheed Corporation and Martin Marietta merged, Lockheed Martin was formed, and the two heritage corps evaporated.

In an acquisition, one company purchases the shares of another company, but both companies still exist. Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video remain separate entities. The transaction was a buyout.

Comment

Quoth Tanizaki View Post
            Yes, I am pretty sure I learned about this in law school.

Mergers and acquisitions are similar, but different. In a merger, two (or more) business entities combine to form one entity. For example, when Lockheed Corporation and Martin Marietta merged, Lockheed Martin was formed, and the two heritage corps evaporated.

In an acquisition, one company purchases the shares of another company, but both companies still exist. Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video remain separate entities. The transaction was a buyout.
            Thanks, I wasn't sure. My legal studies classes were a looong time ago. Question then, if you know the specifics, was Cineplex buying Famous Players a merger or accquistion, so I can tell people correctly when explaining why we are not part of that company?
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Thanks, I wasn't sure. My legal studies classes were a looong time ago. Question then, if you know the specifics, was Cineplex buying Famous Players a merger or accquistion, so I can tell people correctly when explaining why we are not part of that company?
              Based on a brief review of business news, it appears that Cineplex Galaxy Cinemas acquired Famous Players from Viacom.

Comment

Working...
              X