Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much corn could an SC shuck, if an SC could shuck corn?

Ah, takes me back to when I came up with that some years ago.

Raspcallion

Comment

I refuse to buy "pre-shucked" corn due to the fact that as soon as the kernals are exposed to the air the sugars in them beging to oxidize into starch and starch is not sweet. I just found that out recently and the last few times I bought corn I waited until right before it went in the water to shuck it, and it was the same as when I was a kid(my mom always did the same-and I never realised why my corn didn't taste like I remembered it as a kid). funny thing is I see tons of people at the store franticly shucking corn before they bag it, and it's not like it's sold by weight, I guess they just don't like "sweet corn" <shrug>

BlaqueKatt-a yankee with a southern accent for some reason.....
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Yankee born and bred here (a native Michigander) and I didn't take offense at the term as used, I understand what you meant. We always grew our own corn. My job was to shuck ears for dinner, and also for the corn we blanched and froze to use in the wintertime.

It's okay not to know about things--we all start out not knowing. But to jump the gun the way that lady did and accuse you of dishonesty--that was definitely SC behavior. And then not to admit she was wrong and apologize or laugh about it--I feel bad for her family having to put up with her, she's a nasty old bat.

Anyway, I was really glad to hear you contribute to your local food bank. Well done!

Comment

The definition of a yankee: If you weren't born within VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, AR, or TN then you are a yankee. We have been know to make exceptions for somefolk that have a southern state-of-mind. A damnyankee is one of the above that moves here to stay. Florida is full of damnyankees.
          To answer another question I'm not in nor from New Jersey nor do I have a desire to do so. I'm from Rocky Top (google that if you don't know of where I speak). Seed corn can be from anywhere but it's the envioronment that makes the difference. I've saving seed for years but I think with some cross pollination the Silver Queen I raise is different. The butter and cream corn is new for this year, it's very sweet and my cattle really like the shucks and stalks but they don't turn down any corn related forage.
          Next question, yes I've very aware of the purposes of books, I have an extensive library. I'm a technical person so sometimes my grammer and spelling skills are not what I would like them to be when I'm in a hurry.
          Next question, yes I do know that some of you yankee folk make garden or at least pittle at it. The particular yankee I was typing about was a Boston yankee. I doubt that she had ever been outside before that morning.
          Unfortunatly the farmers at the farmers markets in this area have been sparce. I have a well that I used to irragate my fields so the drought didn't bother me as much. The corn I'm raising for silage is suffering for lack of water, but alas it's too far to irrigate. Luckily the hay crop was very good so it might have to make up for the lack of silage, however that will mean I have less hay if any to sell.
          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
            Now having typed all that I have a question. You yankee and city folk do know that corn come in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?
            Having been born and raised in WI (that's the Yankee part ), and having spent a lot of my life in or near Milwaukee (city folk ), I feel free to answer your question.

Yes, I DO know that corn comes in a wrapper besides plastic. At the grocery store I work at now, they're selling un-shucked corn. It's OBVIOUS what it is.

Any person who can't tell the difference between un-shucked corn and cucumbers had better be blind, or else there is NO excuse for such headache-inducing stupidity.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I live in Indiana now and I don't think anyone here doesn't know what corn looks like on the stalk. All we have between here (North-Central) and Indianapolis are corn and soybean fields. Here we do have some mint fields also, though. Very nice to drive by, the smell is great.

I grew up in the south and most of my aunts and uncles had gardens and so did my grandparents. I have cousins who have said they will never again shuck corn or snap beans again. When you grow up and have to do things by the bushel, it gets to be a pain. I don't mind the corn and snapping beans so much, it's the shelling peas that gets to me.

Fresh corn cooked on the grill is the best.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine
                Having been born and raised in WI (that's the Yankee part ), and having spent a lot of my life in or near Milwaukee (city folk ), I feel free to answer your question.

Yes, I DO know that corn comes in a wrapper besides plastic. At the grocery store I work at now, they're selling un-shucked corn. It's OBVIOUS what it is.

Any person who can't tell the difference between un-shucked corn and cucumbers had better be blind, or else there is NO excuse for such headache-inducing stupidity.
                Ummm. That is one stupid SC. All the Yankees I know (Michigan, Iowa (farmers), Illinois, California and even New York City) would have died laughing. I need to tell my in-laws that story now. My sympathy Tanasi.

Comment

It's not just yanks who can be utterly stupid...southern city folk can be kind of dumb to how the world works, too. My family loves to joke about the city folk who come down into the boonies where we live and have heart attacks when they see turkeys sitting in the treetops.

"How'd that turkey get up there?!"
                  "He flew."
                  "Turkeys can fly?!?!"
                  "Well, we had to rig them up with some little engines and propellers, but..."

Along the same token, I was born and raised in Arkansas, and I freely admit I was stunned on a visit to northern Michigan when I saw "snowmobile parking". The friend I was visiting was quite amused at getting to explain to me that in the winter months, the area was so deep in snow that snowmobiles were the only possible mode of transportation. I see snow maybe once every three years and I've never seen a snowmobile, how should I know??

We'll not even get into the face of horror I made when she told me about the school buses driving over lakes in winter...
                  "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                    The kids and I were up before daylight this morning pulling sweet corn and loading new taters, okra, yellow squash, maters, green beans, brocoli, fresh dill, cucs, and some other assorted vegis all from our garden.
                    :drools:

Quoth Tanasi
                    You yankee and city folk do know that corn come in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?
                    Yes, and I also know the difference between rough, ridged corn husks and the smooth, shiny cucumber skin. This woman was just an idiot, and a SC to boot.

Quoth sportsmom
                    Fresh corn cooked on the grill is the best.
                    I've heard that you can barbecue corn in its husk and it turns out well. Has anyone here ever done that?
                    Last edited by XCashier; 07-09-2006, 07:24 PM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier
                      I've heard that you can barbecue corn in its husk and it turns out well. Has anyone here ever done that?
                      Yes, and it's yummy! Just be sure to use indirect heat.

I wonder if that other lady (?) has ever eaten a tamale? Did she think it was wrapped in cucumber skins, and tried to eat the wrapper?
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

How dense can someone be?

When I worked at a summer camp (in the dining hall) we had to shuck corn every sunday because we would have a big picnic with fresh sweet corn.

Even the kids from the most inner of the inner city did not think that they were cucumbers. They asked what they were and when we said corn, they said nah, show me. So we did. (These kids actually got permission from the camp director to skip swimming and shuck corn with us because they thought it was so cool. )

Comment

Quoth Primer
                          Well, direct heat pretty good too. just soak the corn (with husk on) and throw it in the coals.
                          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I am a Yankee born and bred - living in New Jersey and I can't believe this SC didn't know the difference between corn in the HUSK and cucumbers! Where the hell did this person grow up?

Even in the grocery stores these days, they sell corn in the husk. Most people shuck it in the store, but they can recognize that it's corn.

Didn't this person ever see the pretty, tall green stalks growing out of the ground on farms with the pretty green pods hanging from them? Duh - she has to have driven by at least one cornfield in her lifetime!

for her!
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
                            --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Primer

I wonder if that other lady (?) has ever eaten a tamale? Did she think it was wrapped in cucumber skins, and tried to eat the wrapper?
                              That's what I was going to say. The mexicanos (:: points to self:: ) in my family make tamales every year for the superbowl. And you can still seen corn wrapped in the husks at any regular grocery store. Did this woman never go on shopping trips with her parents?!

Or was I the only one at age five who liked the grocery store cause it was colorful?
                              "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                                YW: I want corn and that's not corn you stupid rednecks are trying to steal from people and I'm going to report you to Reverand Anderson. (Walks away in a huff).

I love the fact that she saying that is not corn and the fact that she's calling you guys stupid rednecks, like she she's the all-knowing, all-powerful farming goddess, geesh . . .

How could you try and sell something that looks like corn, smells like corn, tastes like corn, feels like corn, grows like corn, is the same color as corn, has the husk like corn, has the same atomic structure as corn . . . it must be cucumber?

Not only was she an SC, she takes moronity to a whole new level. Here's your sign, lady.
                                This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X