Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing better than fresh corn from the famers market. That lady is an idiot

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr
      It's not just yanks who can be utterly stupid...southern city folk can be kind of dumb to how the world works, too. My family loves to joke about the city folk who come down into the boonies where we live and have heart attacks when they see turkeys sitting in the treetops.

"How'd that turkey get up there?!"
      "He flew."
      "Turkeys can fly?!?!"
      "Well, we had to rig them up with some little engines and propellers, but..."

Along the same token, I was born and raised in Arkansas, and I freely admit I was stunned on a visit to northern Michigan when I saw "snowmobile parking". The friend I was visiting was quite amused at getting to explain to me that in the winter months, the area was so deep in snow that snowmobiles were the only possible mode of transportation. I see snow maybe once every three years and I've never seen a snowmobile, how should I know??

We'll not even get into the face of horror I made when she told me about the school buses driving over lakes in winter...
      Well I'll admit to some ignorance. When I was a kid there wasn't any wild big game to speak of, it had been hunted out of existenance. That being said when I returned from RVN in 73 I was quail hunting with my grandfather and middle brother. As we were walking down a powerline clearcut we jumped some big bird that flew a few hundred yards and lit. I didn't know what it was so I didn't shoot, and the same for my brother. Gramps said that's a buzzard and it's hurt, the next time it jumps up shoot it. Well we jump it and and we turn loose on it and it kept going, flew a few hundred yards and lit. We try this until we run out of shells and never even draw a feather. We glumly return to the house and proceed to tell my Dad of our adventure. Dad said that wasn't a buzzard that was a turkey, brother "Turkey's can fly?"
      Now my igonorance we had domesticated turkeys, and I knew there was such a thing a wild turkeys but not around here. Our turkeys didn't fly so I the thought of wild turkeys flying never enter my mind.
      Nowdays we daily see a flock of 5 hens and about 30 to 40 polts and numerous toms and jakes. We occasionally see deer but the sub-divisions have run off most of them. The coons are becoming pests, the possums are just nasty. However we've got plenty of song birds, turkle dove, squirrel, and rabbit. We also have a few of those local giant Canadian geese and various kinds of migrating waterfowl.
      I can forgive ignorance we're all afflicted with it, and it can be cured with a little education. Stupid just goes straight to the bone and the only cure is quick and painless death.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

best way to cook corn

grill/nuke/bake in the husk.... steams the corn in its own juices

yummmmmm
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

checking in from New Jersey ( THE Garden State) to say that I should be shocked that someone wouldn't know what fresh corn looked like, but i'm not because out here in the sticks -- right next to a huge Six Flags Park, we get alot of tourists from NY and they are very ignorant about anything even slightly nature-y ( is that a dee- uh? no, it's a bay-uh-- lets go pet it!!) you're an idiot. or as we like to say around here, Welcome to New Jersey, now go home.

Comment

My first thought to the Dumb Woman would be:

Do cukes have hairs on their ends?

Corn does!!!!!

I've never seen an ear of corn still wrapped up withOUT the silks tangled around it.

So fie on you woman.

Here in Alaska, we grow some kickass cabbages, rhubarb and lots of root veggies. We can do some corn, but not much.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Wow that's pretty sad that she didn't know.. yeesh.
              (Then again, I'm from the south *Yay Alabama* so yah, I KNOW what corn is, lol)
              No, I do not work here, yes I am open, No, it is not free, every item we had "in the back" has been eaten by drunken sailors. Now that we've covered the basics, how may I help you?

Comment

We don't even grow very much maize here in England but even I know the difference between corn and cucumbers...I actually can't get my head around the cucumber bit, to be honest. OK, it might not look like the sort of corn you're used to, but it doesn't look like ANY cucumber i've ever seen !
                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                - Dave Barry

Comment

Oh god, now I'm craving BBQ'd corn. Just peel the husk back, pull off the silk, replace the husk and toss on the grill, about 15-20 minutes per side, yummie (if you don't soak the husk first though it gets a little crispy and you get flaky ashes that can come off on the corn. As for the tamales, the wife, MIL, and I usually make a whole butt load of em around the holidays and we are as wonderbread as they come. About 6 years ago when we bought our first condo we asked our realtor (mexican friend of ours) to teach us how.

Side note: I never realized that I was a yankee (coming from Southern California). Can I still be a read neck at heart???
                  My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth beercashier
                    Reporting in from Pennsylvania to report that I know corn comes in a husk.
                    Hehe fresh corn tastes better than store-packaged stuff. Grandpa and I used to hit the farm markets all the time. That is, when his own gardens weren't producing much. At one time, his entire back yard we veggies--you name it, we probably had it. Throw in the sunflowers (mainly for seeds) and we were all set:-) Shame he couldn't work on that during the last few years of his life though :-(
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ewwwww...

Yeah, I gotta second Cutenoob on this: Anyone who thinks that cucumbers are light green/yellow-ish, streaky, and have silk sticking out the ends has been munching on some nasty veggies!! Methinks the SC in question had never been any closer to veggies than the cans in the supermarket!

And now I too have a massive craving for some grilled sweet corn... *drools*
                      Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
                        And now I too have a massive craving for some grilled sweet corn... *drools*
                        Mmmmmmmmmm had some just last night!
                        "I want to be a mongoose. Can I be a mongoose dog?"

Comment

Growing up we didn't have grilled corn we had roastin ears. We would pull back the shucks, clean-off the silks, deworm if necessary, do a little trimming, pull the shucks back over the ear and soak the whole thing in cool branch water for about 30 minutes. Grill over medium heat turning it 90degrees every 6 to 8 minutes. I like to butter mine first but some don't like that.

Have you ever tried fried sweet corn?

6 ears of sweet corn
                          few table spoons of butter but I prefer hog-lard (tastes much better).
                          1 cup of milk
                          1 cup of water
                          2 table spoons of flour
                          1 teaspoon of raw sugar
                          salt and pepper to taste

Cut the corn off the cobs and besure to scrape the cobs for the milkly substances.
                          Heat an iron skillet over medium heat until water droplets dance across it.
                          melt the butter/lard making sure to coat the entire inside of the skillet.
                          Add the corn, milk, water, flour, sugar and stir until it boils
                          Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender (about 20 to 25 minutes).
                          If it's too thick add a little moo-juice or water, if too thin simmer a little while with the lid off or mix a little corn-starch with a little water and stir it in. Remove from heat and let it stand for about 5 minutes. Don't put the salt in until the end because it will make the corn tough.
                          What ever you do, do not put in a bowl and set it on your head because your tongue will beat your brains out getting to it.
                          I really like this corn with new potatos, grilled squash/zucuinnie/brocoli/califlower/onions or pan-fried okra, green beans, some fresh hog meat (I prefer boneless chops or jawl) or pot roast, fresh home-made biscuits or cornbread (it seems I have a lot of corn in my diet). This kinda of eatin is gar-on-teed to give you a nice shiney coat, pink cheeks (both for and aft), grease up your innards for a good bm, and make you fat and happy. You can have that gormet stuff (a whole lot of money and very little food) I'll take country cookin.
                          Suggests for the left over corn (if any) mix in some with your corn bread fixins, a little bacon grease or straight lard, cracklins, chopped jalapenos (with or without seeds and membranes), either sour-cream or butter-milk to wet it and an aig. Grease up said iron skillet and heat in an 375 oven, once hot pour in all the above and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cut into wedges and serve with fresh butter.
                          Damn I gotta go I'm hungry.

Digi I suppose you can be a read neck at heart the prefered term is red-neck but whatever floats your boat.
                          Last edited by Tanasi; 07-11-2006, 02:48 AM.
                          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth real people person
                            right next to a huge Six Flags Park, we get alot of tourists from NY and they are very ignorant about anything even slightly nature-y .... or as we like to say around here, Welcome to New Jersey, now go home.
                            From one Jersey-ite to another: How ya doin?

I am further north and west than you - I know which Six Flags Park (the only one here, ha).

I have a great t-shirt that I found on line that is black with NEW JERSEY spelled out in white and surrounded by the flames of Hell with a pitchfork. Underneath that it says, "Where the weak are killed and eaten". I will never throw this shirt away and am taking it with me as we move across the country in 2 weeks. You can take the Mootz out of NJ but you can't take the NJ out of Mootz.
                            Last edited by MamaMootz; 07-11-2006, 12:21 AM.
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
                            --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Quoth Tanasi
                              You yankee and city folk do know that corn come in a wrapper besides plastic don't you?
                              AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

here in the upstate new york 'burbs all the corn i have ever seen for sale comes un-shucked except the nasty-ass frozen proto-corn
                              DILLIGAF

Comment

I didn't even know they sold pre-shucked corn that didn't come in a can or frozen in a baggie.
                                Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Working...
                                X