This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gave you a Twenty

Okay we all have dealt with this situation at one time or another but today really took the cake:

me: Tired thrift store employee but still has a smile
    Sc: Woman who can't grasp a simple concept

So here is what went down today in my little precious thrift store....A woman purchases her things and gives me a ten dollor bill her change was 3.75...After I had her the change she just looks at it that stupid I can't understand this look..

Me: Oh I am sorry did I not give you the cahnge part a quarter ( sometimes I forget the quarter but always catch it...I then see the quarter in her hand so I did give her all her change

SC: I gave you a twenty

Me: Uh no ma'am you gave me a ten dollor bill I am sure of it

Sc: NO I GAVE YOU A TWENTY

ME: Ma'am I am sorry but I am sure you gave me a ten I look in the drawer and sure enough there is one ten dollor bill and all bills are in their correct spot

SC: We have a problem here I gave you a twenty YOU WANT TO SEE MY PAYCHECK STUB

ME: No ma'am That would be of no use to me I am sorry but I can not just give you a ten dollor bill I will surely come up short and I will not let that happen

SC I want to talk to your supervisor (wtf it's a thrift store not a factory)

Me I am the supervisor (only b/c that's what she refered to it as

Sc I want someone higher up this is ridiculous I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY

ME: Oh ma'am I understand that completely but please understand I can't just give you that much money

So long story short she gets the office number to which I tell her it will do no good...BUT if she would like to come back at 4 when we clsed I would count the money down then as I could not do it then as she kept insisting I should...I politely explained that maybe I did make a mistake and I understood her anger that I have been in similiar stiations but that IF the money did infact come up over I would call her and BRING THE MONEY TO HER MYSELF AS SOON AS I LEFT THE STORE THAT I PROMISE YOU...She stormed out with me still apologizing..The people behind her stepped up as there was a huge line that had done built up behind her... I said" Folks are ya'll with her and they said YES I said I am sorry is there a number I can call to inform her that the drawer was infact over and she had given me a twenty so I can get directions and bring it back to her "they gave me the number....Long story I know.... But guess what MY DRAWER CAME UP TO THE EXACT PENNY NOT OVER NOT SHORT... I wonder if she realized her mistake...If she did I know I will never receive an apology from her..Ruined my day....She was angry as hell I honestly though she was going to hit me another customer who was in there said she about cried because I am so honest and soft spoken that it broke her heart to hear anyone talk to me like that...

I always pay attention to how much I give a cashier, not because I don't trust people, but just to be sure, and also because I often pay with exact change, or throw in a $1 to get a $5 back, that sort of thing. Sometimes I'll space and not notice if they give me too much/not enough change. I'd hate to walk out and leave someone's drawer short.

I'm glad you came out on top in this one, though. Silly woman, all worked up over nothing.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

She was trying to scam you. That's why you put what they give you out of reach but in plain view until they put their change away.
      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
        She was trying to scam you. That's why you put what they give you out of reach but in plain view until they put their change away.
        I always put the bill they hand me on top of the register or sideways in the till so it was blatantly obvious that that was the note they handed me. I also would say, "That'll be $6.25...out of ten," before I handed back the change. They can see the note and hear you say what it is, so they can't claim they gave you a larger note without having that claim shot down.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth IMAPseudonym View Post
          I do the same as XCashier. I lay the bill across the tray or on the keyboard of the till computer, out of reach but in sight until the transaction is over and I have handed the customer their receipt. Then I put it in the drawer.

I do the same.

Once, someone claimed that they gave me a $20 bill, which they didn't cause, there was no 20's in the till. I had given the last one to a customer ahead of her.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

When I worked at Big Bird, the policy was to lay the bill on the register until after the end of the transaction just because of cases like this.
            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

I do this with cash and credit cards, but i'm finding some of my coworkers will TAKE THE CARD and try to hand it back to the customer before they're done signing. Hands off *SMACK*
              Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

I used to use the exact same tactics, but it still didn't stop people from trying to pull fast ones with me. I would always show them the bill they gave me, and if they still insisited that they gave me more money than that, one time I took the drawer out of the register and held it up to show the customer that there were no large bills in my register. If it was too busy to do that, I'd usually just say "No, no you didn't give me a 50", and risk getting in trouble. But usually when I stood my ground, customers realized that they lost and gave up.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I have been the SC in this situation. I was in Rome (major language barrier!) at a Mc Donalds ordering a draft beer (just because you CAN). I thought the cashier shorted me two Euros (a lot more than $2) So I asked for it- the poor guy just handed it to me right away so I wouldnt freak out and raise American hell in there (not that I would have anyway). Later that night I found the 2Euro piece and felt so bad. I couldnt even try to take it back though, they wouldnt have had any idea what I was doing and probably would have thought I was crazy.

Comment

I never put a bill away until the customer has accepted the change. We had a summer local come back one afternoon, over an hour after she'd been in, claiming something similar.
                    I think she was shocked we didn't just hand over another 10 just because she'd had a cabin up here for a hundred years or more. It was my husband at the register and he knows what he was handed. (the man's mind revolves around numbers)

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                    ~Clerks

Comment

I agree with the tactics suggested ... I use them also...I always repeat back the amount given to me...Still didn't work though she seriously thought that's what she had given me...Oh well I was the victor in that little war...YAY ME

Comment

I was Mr Bad Habit. I would drop the money right in the till before getting out the change.

However, since I can do cash calculations in my head and would often have told them the change amount and started counting it out before I even looked at the screen after getting the total and how much they planned to give me.

I apparently chased off some quick change artists with that... Only ever had one person try it. Claimed he'd given me a fifty when he'd given me a twenty.

I stood by the fact that he'd given me a twenty and, when he refused to budge, walked up to the cash office, went in, got a new till, and handed the old one to the office worker on duty. Walked back out and started running register again.

I was off by a penny. Not that he ever found out, he was gone after he saw I had the key to the cash office. :P

I loved working cash office.
                        Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Wow. All the times I've cashiered and I've never experienced a scammer like that. Woo hoo.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Back in the day when I ran a cash register we had to figure out the change ourselves... the register didn't do it for us. So the money the customer gave would go on top of the till, and then I would count up until I hit that amount. Then do the same into the customers hand... first the coins at once, and then 1's 2's, etc. counting up to the amount tendered. So If the item came out to say $6.37 and the customer tendered a $20, I'd count back: 7, 8, 10, 20 (coins, a one, a two, and a ten).

BTW: Off-topic, but I HATE when get my change handed back by the cashier putting the bills in my hand and then balancing the coins on on top! GRRRR!!! (I've gotten pretty good at avoiding this now... if the bills are handed first I turn my hand over (palm down) so there is no where to put the coins....)
                            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I always tell the customer their total, and then when I'm handed the money I make sure I say "Ok, it's out of _____" Say the total is $4.99 and I'm handed a $20 bill, I say "Ok, $4.99 out of $20" And that's it. Sometimes the customer is like "Crap I meant to give you a $10 bill, sorry" That's why I always make sure

Comment

Working...
                              X