This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A How-To's Forum?

I just had this ideas, and it might be a bad one, but I figure it should be tossed out there.

How about a forum, similar to the War Stories forum in how it operates, for quality how-to type posts and threads?

For example, let me point out this old thread which asks how to pick out a camera. I'll admit to being biased, but I think I gave out some decent advice there. I've seen similar from others. It'd be nice to have a way for mods to flag certain posts and/or threads, and put them someplace where they are more easily found in general in future.

I specifically say mods doing this, rather than the general life advice forum in off topic. This would be a place for the best of the advice/how to's to be put up, and used as minor references for people in future.

What do you all think?

XD It would mostly be Jester then. Doesn't he have his own group for that?
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Different, though: He does advice for specific situations, normally. What I'm thinking of is more general advice. Things that come to mind that I've seen so far:
      • How to choose a camera
      • How to choose the best pet food for your animal (Saydrah had something about this)
      • How to make an emergency preparedness kit for your car
      • How to stock an emergency preparedness kit for your home
      • How to disinfect a computer/What software to use for it

And those are just the ones I can think of right now. I know I've seen other such items. It would certainly not be a high posting rate forum, especially since it should be mod-locked, like the war stories, but we do get some thorough (and high quality) posts on some of these major topics from time to time.

Comment

Hmm - computer stuff has a sticky in the tech help section. That sort of thing updates regularly as well as technology advances, or at least it should.

Could easily do a subforum of 'life advice' for classics, but things like that will need updating (cameras etc), or there will be many opinions on what you actually need for an emergency kit etc (only my opinion doesn't stink, of course).

Pondering this. Nudge me?

Rapscallion

Comment

What about at the very least, a sticky of who to contact as far as workplace relations go? People can submit details of the labour board, or the anti-discrimination people (if they are two separate entities) in their state or country...sort of become a starting point for people who are unsure of where to go.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I was thinking of the front pages for similar sort of information to that, oddly enough

Collecting and collating that information was proving to be a touch ... arduous.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
              ...Collecting and collating that information was proving to be a touch ... arduous.
              With all the quibblicious mistresses/masters of thread drift here? I would expect so!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                With all the quibblicious mistresses/masters of thread drift here? I would expect so!
                Thread drift? On CS.com? Yeah that never happens!

Comment

Well. more like I asked for links for official sites for information and got very little, if that makes more sense...

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                  X