X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Intelligence (long)

The Setting (aka background info):

As I have mentioned, my company is a distributor for a particular group of products. These products are often needed by the government. However, the local inspector for government orders doesn't like our company, so unless they do the purchase thorugh a credit card exception requisition, we won't work with them.

This particular scenario started late yesterday morning and was resolved this morning.

The Cast:

CW = My CoWorker from across the room. She won't put up with anybody.
    SPA = Sucky purchasing agent entitlement issues because he works for the government
    PM = SPA's direct supervisor
    HP = PM's supervisor

CW gets an emailed order from SPA. Since we don't do the regular contract purchases, and they really need the part, the order is to be paid via credit card.

She enters the order, then faxes confirmation of the work order back to SPA and includes a copy of our standard Credit Card Authorization form.

*lunchtime rolls around and CW goes out for an hour to eat*

SPA fires back an email stating that he will not be filling out the authorization form because it is against regulations to write down and fax credit card numbers and she will just have to call him to get the information. He also includes a lie that he called and left a message that did not get answered.

CW sends back a reply that there is no problem with him giving the credit card number and expiration information over the phone. He just needs to, at the very least, fill in the signature line on the form and fax it back.

SPA again responds that he will not be faxing the form back and that she is wasting the government's time with this stupid request. This time he includes a snide comment about not being able to find our phone number. CW wondered how he could have left a message without it.

CW has had enough of his whiny entitlement dance, so she sends one last email before leaving for the night that since he cannot complete the form according to our procedure that she would consider the order cancelled.

*curtain opens this morning*

CW has a new email. Not from SPA but from PM. PM is emailing to enquire about the status of the order. She is much better behaved than SPA. (the part they want is obsolete and we are the only supplier in the databases that has it) CW responds to the email with the information that she understood that the order was cancelled due to SPA's inability to comply with our procedures for credit card payments and she also includes a quote from SPA's snotty email to her.

PM emails back with an apology for the misunderstanding and says that she will forward the issue up the chain to someone with more authority than she has.

A while later there is a new email, this time from HP, who I believe is the head of that particular purchasing department. The email is quite conciliatory and full of apologies for SPA's attitude and entreats us to re-open the purchase order for shipment today. HP promises to personally see to it that the credit card form is returned with the required signature.

*curtain closes*

Lazy, Whiny Governmental Peon = 0
    CoWorker With the Part they Can't Get Elsewhere = 1

Man, you gotta love a story with a happy ending.

^-.-^
    Last edited by Andara Bledin; 05-15-2007, 08:16 PM.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Well, that worked out nicely
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Comment

Variation of the Golden Rule:

S/he who has the gold (or obsolete parts) makes the rule.
      Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
      TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

*giggles*

He most have been a very lower rung peon, maybe an officers but still low. waaaaaaaaaay to much with the entitlement issues to be high up.

Comment

Not the brightest bulb in the box I see. Did SPA not realize all his emails could come back to bite him in the backside? Guess not.
          Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

No, he thought that because he was with the government and we were private sector, we would be cowed by his position.

We've had some ultra-fun dealings with the government in the past.

We had one other adventure where they decided they didn't really want to pay for the part we had at all, so they tried to steal it from us by claiming that we had stolen it in the first place. The paperwork we got from the place we purchased it from, however, stopped that cute little ploy. They still only paid a fraction of what we were asking, but at least they couldn't just take it from us.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I love how you are wasting the government's time because he doesn't want to sign a paper and fax it...which would take, what, about 30 seconds?
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I hate guys like that who give the military a bad name!!! My family is military, and trust me most of them are smarter than that man.

Comment

I don't know what it is, but military procurement seems to have a much higher than average share of self-important asshats.

^-.-^

Comment

Can't agree more with that statement.

Two of my uncles served in Korea (my dad has much older brothers), one in Vietnam, a cousin served in Desert Storm, and I currently have 3 cousins in Iraq right now. Needless to say, the military is strong on my dad's side of the family.

None of them are entitled assholes like most of the military asshats I've met. Like the recruiters at the gas station, my friend's husband, and random guys I've ran into.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      SPA fires back an email stating that he will not be filling out the authorization form because it is against regulations to write down and fax credit card numbers and she will just have to call him to get the information.

That's hilarious because we get paid by the government via faxed credit card numbers every 2 - 3 months. What a complete dickwad.
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Actually, that is probably a valid issue for the credit card exception orders they have to do to place with us. Every purchaser has told us the same thing.

But we've never had one flip out and decide it was too much trouble to even sign the stupid thing.

We do have one other customer that wouldn't return the form. We'd fax it and leave messages and nothing would happen. CW managed to catch her in the office once, and she got all huffy and made some comment about not having time, blah blah blah.

So CW just let it sit and waited for the buyer to call when the order didn't show up. CW told the buyer what the accounting lady had said, and the buyer got on her case. We've had a few more issues with that account, but it cleared up after a couple more late shipments.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                        X