X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got fired.

Hello all!

I decided after a while away from the site to come back and share again with the people who will understand what I am talking about.

So for close to a year i worked in a call center. This call center took calls for a Medicare Part D plan. Which meant i had to explain to a lot of people that A) It was not president obama but president bush that gave them part D, STOP SAYING OBAMACARE! B) unless you have sent us a copy of the paperwork saying your the executioner of the estate i can only tell you to call social security or that anything the customer was alive for he is responsible for. C) Just because your doctor prescribed it doesn't mean its considered a Part D medication or is covered by your plan and D) yes you do have to pay for the insurance plan that is helping you cover the 50000 dollars worth of medication you take each year.

While I have a lot of stories and scars form this job..... (*whimper* prior coverage...) the one im sharing today is the one that got me fired.

So my call center/company was doing great in everything. So it was decreed that we had to be the best at surveys too or people will be fired. thats right people who we *KNOW* are highly medicated, insane, or show little to no regard to humanity will now determine if we keep our jobs.

I had been having head set issues for a while where either people couldn't hear me or i couldn't hear them. all the failed surveys i got still counted against me. But I was one of the best people on my team (a team so good they gave us bonuses) and was getting all 100s on my surveys after getting my head set replaced.
    then comes one sunday.
    BACKGROUND
    at the beginning of 2013 the plan changed from having a pharmacy saver program where certain pharmacies (not all of the same brand had to participate) gave discounted rates on certain medications (not all pharmacies had the same list) to haveing preferred and non preferred pharmacies. Preferred pharmacies ment all the pharmacies in the chain for the pharmacies participating in the program offered the same base copays for all the covered medications by the plan. Which mean there was better coverage and lower overall copays at those pharmacies. Also if the pharmacy price was lower than the copay you still paid the lower amount. The list of pharmacies that choose to participate was pretty extensive basically only not covering mom & pops. The two bigwig companies where not participating though. CVS and Wal-mart. Wal-mart made sense because half the time their own pharmacy program meant the members where just paying Wal-marts standard price for the medication. CVS? Who knows. The fact CVS wasn't participating soon became one of the most annoying issues we faced. Thus my story.

THE TALE!
    One sunday afternoon i get a call from a gentleman (cough) who decided now in june it is time to see what pharmacies he could use.
    I offer to look up the pharmacies in his area.
    He declines and says 'Is CVS covered?'
    I kindly tell him that 'CVS can be a network pharmacy but is not participating in the new preferred network of pharmacies. You can still use it to fill your medications through plan if yours is in the network, which it most likely is sir, the copays will just be higher than the preferred network's copays' I then proceed to quote him his copays.
    the gentleman then starts yelling and accusing the company of try to screw him over on copays and purposefully aren't working with CVS to hurt the elderly. That Walgreens charges a arm and leg for his medications and that CVS has cheaper medications so we should give them cheaper copays since the cost of his medications is lower than the copays i quoted him.
    i patiently tell him 'Sir every pharmacy we work with had the chance to join the preferred network. I do not know why CVS is not participating. If you would like you could contact CVS' corporate offices and see why they did not join. As to price the copays work the same at a preferred and a non-preferred pharmacy. You pay your copay for your current coverage level based on the pharmacy your using unless the cost of the medication is lower, in which case you will always pay the lowest cost available to you, or it is a purchase that will tranistion you form one coverage level to another. If CVS is offering you an all around lower costing medication and that cost is less than your non-preferred copays we will not make you pay the more expensive amount.'
    he then said 'So you're saying if i want to use CVS i just will have to pay more and deal with huh'
    I replied 'No sir, I'm saying you can use any pharmacy covered by your plan and you will always, no matter what, pay the lowest price for your medication, wither that is the copay or that pharmacy's rate for the medication. If you choose to use CVS and the cost is lower than your copay like you said then you will pay that lower amount. You choose to change to a preferred network pharmacy you will pay the lowest amount there. It is entirely possible your best prices may be at CVS and we understand and encourage you to use the in network pharmacy you are most comfortable with.'
    the guy gets even madder (i an here it in his voice) and says 'well you obviously don't want to help the elderly and are trying to make this as complicated as possible. How do i get to that damned survey'
    I tell him how and say 'If you would like sir i would be happy to go over your copays, local pharmacies and explain how the copays work.'
    he says 'screw you' and dials the survey

the next day im happily working a 5am- 5pm overtime galore shift when about 4 hours in i get pulled the survey supervisor. I listen to the call and read the survey.
    I am then told im fired. Because i never used the word sorry. I am then basically told they dont care if i actually explained how copays work all they want is for me to shut up and just say im sorry over and over again.

thus started my unemployment joy.

So in attempting to teach an idiot a new trick, you got fired. Right. Sounds like a job you are better off without.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

God, they are idiots. What's the point of saying you're sorry over and over?? You tried to explain that the customer actually COULD save money. But "sorry" is more informative and better customer service??

Argh. Hope you find something better!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

hmmm something better.... well i was unemployed for two monthes. got a job at wal0mart two weeks in i got let go. was unempolyed for 3 monthes now work for jack in the box though i might as well be unemployed.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          So my call center/company was doing great in everything. So it was decreed that we had to be the best at surveys too or people will be fired. thats right people who we *KNOW* are highly medicated, insane, or show little to no regard to humanity will now determine if we keep our jobs.
          Oh, that makes total sense....[cue movie announcer's voice]in a world where up is down, black is white, and completely asinine corporate policy determines people's livelihoods.

the next day im happily working a 5am- 5pm overtime galore shift when about 4 hours in i get pulled the survey supervisor. I listen to the call and read the survey.
          I am then told im fired. Because i never used the word sorry. I am then basically told they dont care if i actually explained how copays work all they want is for me to shut up and just say im sorry over and over again.

thus started my unemployment joy.
          Fuck them, those corporate camelfuckers. (My apologies to camels.) They fire you, despite you doing a great job, despite you doing a better job than most in the company, all because some yahoo dipshit off his meds decides to sound off because he isn't getting you to stick your tongue up his ass and tell him that rainbows and unicorns will be his if he just wishes hard enough?

If your former corporate overlords don't already know how to go fuck themselves, please, feel free to offer them my services in explicitly instructing them how to do so.

hmmm something better.... well i was unemployed for two monthes. got a job at wal0mart two weeks in i got let go. was unempolyed for 3 monthes now work for jack in the box though i might as well be unemployed.
          You're in my hometown (close enough, Tempe), and you're working at Jack in the Crack? Fuck that. Message me, and we'll find a way to improve your fortunes. This shit will not stand.
          Last edited by Jester; 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            [cue movie announcer's voice]in a world where up is down, black is white, and completely asinine corporate policy determines people's livelihoods...
            ...one man refuses to back down in the face of total stupidity...

This summer, Jester IS Jester Himself in the most anticipated movie in retail and food service history:

The Bartender.

Rated R.

Coming soon to a theater in your mind.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

So it was decreed that we had to be the best at surveys too or people will be fired. thats right people who we *KNOW* are highly medicated, insane, or show little to no regard to humanity will now determine if we keep our jobs.
              This, exactly, is why I hate those surveys and the fact that Corporate holds them in such high regard! In a fair world filled with fair people, it would be an impartial and reputable tool. But this world and its people are anything but fair; far too many bullies, troublemakers and just plain assholes gleefully use the surveys as tools for causing problems for decent people. Which is basically what happened to you. I'm very sorry you got screwed over by one conniving creep.
              Quoth raudf View Post
              So in attempting to teach an idiot a new trick, you got fired. Right. Sounds like a job you are better off without.
              True, but finding a better job is the old needle-in-the-haystack. But it sounds like Jester's got some leads, so I hope for the best for you.
              Last edited by XCashier; 03-11-2014, 11:56 PM.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This is why I am glad I dont have a boss, I work for me. I drive cross country, and dont have to take crap from anyone. If someone wants to complain about my attitude (usually I am an easygoing guy), I can honestly tell them to piss off or go to hell. My job has no reliance on customer service skills.
                You call, I haul. You bitch, I unhitch!

Comment

Don't these corporate-meatheads realise that many customers hate corporate-scripted apologies??

Comment

When I was a supervisor at a call center (for Borgsphere Cellphone Company) I had to let one of my best agents go because her call time was always higher than they wanted it to be. Because she always took the time to properly explain everything. It broke my heart to do so and I told her she could always give out my personal cell phone number for a reference.

She was going to get fired whether I did it or not, but I respected her to much to pass the buck.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Your in my hometown (close enough, Tempe), and you're working at Jack in the Crack? Fuck that. Message me, and we'll find a way to improve your fortunes. This shit will not stand.
                      try south. like 20 miles from mexico. i moved to sierra vista to help my mom who has diabetic retinopathy and because i had no job.

im only going to be here for a few more monthes i am moving to montana for school.

i just need a job to earn money to move and go to school.
                      Last edited by Sliceanddice; 03-12-2014, 05:07 AM.

Comment

I am something of a call center veteran, having spent 15 months at one and now currently employed at another, both in the wireless industry.

Sadly, a healthy level of a bullshit is to be expected both from the management and customers at a job like this.

While I will say the environment and management of the center I'm at now is MILES ahead of the one I used to work at there's still no lack of policies that don't make sense, corporate directives passed down by people who never work with customers, constantly changing rules and metrics and so on and so forth.

I've kind of accepted the fact that, just by nature of the job, I'm going to get screwed over a couple of times. Hopefully not to the point where I lose my job which hasn't happened yet.

One of things you have to remind yourself is: You can't get fired for following policy. Even if the policy is dumb, anti customer and makes NO sense whatsoever, if that's what you are asked to do and you do it you will not be canned.

My job is also dependent on surveys. What pisses me off about that is I can be as nice and knowledgeable and professional as possible but if you as a customer are being screwed by a corporate policy (say, for example you've been with us 6 years and are ONE DAY past the new device return window and we won't budge for you), I will still be promptly buried in the survey that follows that call.

Heck,the majority of negative surveys I got at the old job were people pissed that their coverage sucked, a problem caused by the marketing team who constantly oversold the reach and power of the network.

Like I said, in a call center, BS is part of the game.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I hope to God that the company told you, "we're sorry", or else they'll be screwed soon too.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            ...one man refuses to back down in the face of total stupidity...

This summer, Jester IS Jester Himself in the most anticipated movie in retail and food service history:

The Bartender.

Rated R.
                            Be sure to bring ID. Nobody under 21 admitted.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                              I'm lucky enough to work in one of the few call center jobs that doesn't have to deal with a freakin' survey at the end of the call. They did away with them this past January. Why? Because the client realized that what the callers were complaining about had nothing to do with the agents on the phone but with issues on the client's end.
                              Wait, what? It made sense, AND it was allowed? Isn't that a complete violation of Korporate Amerika Rools and Regyoolashuns?

Cue someone relating an incident that is more in line with the usual corporate idiocy.

Quoth barainga View Post
                              When I was a supervisor at a call center (for Borgsphere Cellphone Company) I had to let one of my best agents go because her call time was always higher than they wanted it to be. Because she always took the time to properly explain everything.
                              And, right on time, there ya go.

"Yes, Smith, you're doing a great job and are one of our best employees. But you continue to violate Rule 37, paragraph Q, line Zeta. Yes, yes, we know that is a minor, lame, inconsequential rule, but rules are rules, so we're gonna have to tell you to hit the road. Sorry, kid."

try south. like 20 miles from mexico. i moved to sierra vista to help my mom who has diabetic retinopathy and because i had no job.
                              Sierra Vista? My condolences. I spent a day there once. It took me weeks to scrub the dullness from my personality.

i just need a job to earn money to move and go to school.
                              Not sure that Jack in the Crack qualifies as either a job or a way to make money, to be honest. Good luck!

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              One of things you have to remind yourself is: You can't get fired for following policy. Even if the policy is dumb, anti customer and makes NO sense whatsoever, if that's what you are asked to do and you do it you will not be canned.
                              Riiiiiiight. Because no company ever contradicted itself or did something stupid by firing someone for doing exactly what the company told them to do.

Cue someone relating just such a story.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X