This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
    My niece lived and worked in Vancouver, Washington and crossed the bridge to shop in Oregon. No income tax in one state and no sales tax in the other.
    Not a bad plan 'til she bought a car in Oregon, Washington got her when she registered it.
    This is a brilliant plan.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      My niece lived and worked in Vancouver, Washington and crossed the bridge to shop in Oregon. No income tax in one state and no sales tax in the other.
      Not a bad plan 'til she bought a car in Oregon, Washington got her when she registered it.
      my dad did something similar...see, my grandmother on his side (his mother) lives in East Tx (Kennard to be exact she has land she owns & lives on) & my dad lives in Seabrook. well, Houston has a requirement that any vehicle that is inspected has to have an emissions tests BUT if you register your vehicle in whatever county Kennard is in (I've forgotten) & get it inspected there, you don't have to pass the emissions test. So, the pick-up truck & my Caddy are both registered & inspected in East Tx, dad makes a special trip up just for that purpose

hey, whatever floats your boat right?
      "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
        And Washington doesn't have a state income tax, but our sales taxes are nuts.

For example, in the city of Seattle there's a 9.5% sales tax
        In New Orleans, the sales tax rate is 9%, and they DO have income taxes there. There's also the separate hotel-related taxes, which I'm sure some of our members just looove to deal with...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Our sales tax used to be a nice easy 5%, but now is 6.25 (I think...every so often there's a discussion about lowering it). No tax on food, but tax on paper goods, toothpaste, etc. many times I've been "asked" by SCs where the tax came from and how I can justify it (wtf). If I don't have a line I will actually take out my phone and make a big show of doing the math; if I have a line I'll let the other customers explain it to them.

Our selfscans now roll the bottle/can deposit into the price of soda, which is a new kind of fun ("Why is this $5.59?! The tag says $4.99!"). With the old system they could at least see the "Deposit $0.60" line and it was faster to explain.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

At the store today, heard one woman demanding to know why she was being charged 18% tax instead of 13%. Thank the harmonized sales tax (federal 5% and provincial 8% being charged as a single line). Of course, some items are taxed federally but not provincially - so there's one line on the receipt for these items (marked as federal 5%) and another for items subject to both taxes (13% harmonized). Customer didn't realize (or didn't want to realize) that a particular item would have its tax show up on only ONE of these lines - after all, it's only been around 4 years since the HST was brought in to replace the separate federal and provincial sales taxes.

Of course, things tend to get dragged out tax-wise. Income tax was brought in as a temporary measure to pay for the war - how long will it be before we kick the Kaiser's butt?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Jammer View Post
              That's probably because some of the states around them coddle them with reciprocity. Prove you're from there? Bam! We'll exempt you. They probably feel that they pay enough in property taxes to be exempt 3 states away.
              I was visiting my BFF in Washington state, went to a Highland Festival and had to listen to some old bat from Oregon complain about having to pay WA taxes and how there's reciprocity, so she shouldn't have to pay. Note she is complaining to a vendor from out-of-state. She bitched so much I told her to shut up, keep the receipt and take the taxes off on her Oregon state tax form. I'm guessing there's a spot for it on the form and if not it isn't like she couldn't download a form off the 'net instead of screaming at the poor vendor about a non-enforced law.

When it comes to food and drink here in SoDakland I don't know what is taxed and what isn't. I find it easier to assume there's 6% sales tax on everything so if there isn't any tax charged it's a nice surprise.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
              X