Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why yes, I am proud of myself, thank you!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why yes, I am proud of myself, thank you!

Well, I did it. Finally. After so many years of trying, I finally ruined someone's holiday.

Or so a woman told me at the Easter Egg hunt today.

We had baskets of tokens scattered around the grounds of the mansion where I work. You collected them (6 tokens for those 6 years old or younger and 12 for children older than six) brought them to Egg H.Q., and you got a stamp on your hand and a little packet of four eggs.

We opened at 10am.

At 10.15am a woman came up to Egg H.Q. with her child, who was about four. She handed me a single token. I asked for the others, which clearly triggered Whiny Bitch mode:

"But why? We've been looking for aaaaagggggeeessss!! We can only stay for an hour. He's tiiiirrrrreeeeedddd! We can't fiiiiiiiind any!"

I apologised, but said that we needed six eggs and offered to point her to the closest ones (which were only a few dozen steps away). This triggered Snippy Yelling Bitch mode:

"Why should we have to go looking? We paid $15 whole dollars to get in here today. This is a disgraceful way to treat people! How can you possibly behave like this? You've ruined Easter! I hope you're proud of yourself!"

And yea the clouds did part and a beam of light shone down upon me, for I had achieved the rank of Most High and Glorious Ruiner of Days.

Oh, and she stomped off at that point, dragging with her a child who was clearly eager to keep hunting for tokens so he could get his eggs.

Apart from one other woman who lost it with me because her child didn't want a stamp and couldn't I tell that he was autistic (no, actually I couldn't, and if you'd been patient, we could have sorted something out, so hey, your loss, not mine) it was a lovely day, made all the better by the knowledge that I have finally achieved my modest aim in life.

Did anyone else attain such glory?
    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

The first woman really needs to learn to time manage, especially on a day like easter sunday. Kids LOVE to do the easter egg hunt. The second woman should really say something before someone attends to their child. Forewarned is forearmed, after all.

Quoth KatherineB View Post
    It's a regular occurrence for me. I've managed to ruin easter three times so far this year.

1. A call because someone had keys and other stuff stolen out of their car, and I couldn't get back in time to change their locks. Never mind the fact that they were also a good 2 hours drive away themselves.

2. Someone who managed to lock themselves out of their house on Good Friday, didn't like my price and called around, only to call me back because I was the cheapest available. I still heard about "it's easter, why no discount?"

3. Only about 1/2 hour ago, another person has locked themselves out. Got told the price for a sunday evening, went in to SC mode first asking for a discount, then full on "you ruined easter!".

I don't mind getting asked if I can do things cheaper, but I'll be damned if walking out of the house is going to cost me more than the job will make me. Not to mention, once being told no, they keep asking, as if repetition is going to get them what they want. I like to start upping the price after the third time of being asked. Suddenly, it's all "But you said this price!".
    Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
      2. Someone who managed to lock themselves out of their house on Good Friday, didn't like my price and called around, only to call me back because I was the cheapest available. I still heard about "it's easter, why no discount?"
      I'd be tempted to answer "Of course I know it's Easter - that's why the price I quoted includes the Evening, Weekend, and Holiday surcharge".
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        I'd be tempted to answer "Of course I know it's Easter - that's why the price I quoted includes the Evening, Weekend, and Holiday surcharge".
        That would be nice, but since I own the business, I get to just tell them to f-off and hang up.
        Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

I feel sorry for her kid

Comment

I swear that half the time these people are "in a hurry" or "running late" they're bullshitting in an attempt to excuse the fact they're just impatient assholes.
            We have SC regular where I work, who will regularly grumble and whine that we are working too slow, that she's in a hurry, then once the transaction is over, will spend the next 20minutes dawdling around doing nothing!

"An act of tardiness on your part, madam, does not constitute a lack of speed on our part."

Comment

And yea the clouds did part and a beam of light shone down upon me, for I had achieved the rank of Most High and Glorious Ruiner of Days.

'grats, Kat, and welcome to the club.

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
              "it's easter, why no discount?"
              For shame au!

Does it not clearly state in scripture: "...He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life, and discounts on goods and services."?

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I've ruined someone's Easter/Christmas/Halloween/etc. because certain junk foods aren't allowed on EBT (food stamps) Because you know I apparently have complete control over what the government determines to be food stamp eligible

Comment

I first 'ruined' someone's Christmas in '99, namely by selling out of whatever the hell was the biggest sell of the year, it took me until about 2008 to ruin someone's Easter (I'd changed jobs by then and had issued a parking ticket).

Didn't manage it this year, but difficult when my arse hasn't left the sofa!
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

To that first woman..I would have said.."Don't play the game unless you understand the rules."

Comment

I KNEW I heard Heavenly Music, but thought it was a holiday thing!!
                      Congratulations on achieving such a lofty honor. I envy you!!
                      Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Quoth Legacy_of_Torment View Post
                        I swear that half the time these people are "in a hurry" or "running late" they're bullshitting in an attempt to excuse the fact they're just impatient assholes.
                        Exactly. Where the heck else does she have to be on Easter?!
                        Quoth Legacy_of_Torment View Post
                        "An act of tardiness on your part, madam, does not constitute a lack of speed on our part."
                        Lack of time management ability on your part is not a failure on mine. (I'm sure we can come up with more variations on our favorite saying!)
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          Exactly. Where the heck else does she have to be on Easter?!
                          Maybe she's late for church.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            Maybe she's late for church.
                            With that attitude, maybe she should spend more time there.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

couldn't I tell that he was autistic (no, actually I couldn't, and if you'd been patient, we could have sorted something out, so hey, your loss, not mine)
                              Right. Because autism is something that people can see. And oftentimes, people who aren't familiar with autism/Asperger's don't really recognize what's going on. I speak from a bit of experience.
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                              X