This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No profit on this transaction

We rent tuxes. We can sell them, too and if you wear one more than a couple times a year, it would make sense to buy one. Most of our clientele just need one for prom, a wedding, etc. As such, the trousers come in three waist sizes, and are hemmed to the right length when rented. We don't cut them off. Pants rented out to a short boy for Prom this week will be dry-cleaned and rented out next week to a basketball player whose friend is getting married.

Boss grabbed a pair of trou off the rack to re-hem them and found...

some ambitious Mom or GF had cut off the pants and hemmed them herself. They are now worthless to rent out to anyone over 5'7".

We do a cursory check to make sure all the pieces are in the bag, and the renter didn't go swimming in the tux or something (yes, that actually happened once) It never occurs to us that someone would actually cut up the merchandise.

What a stupid person. I would ask if people don't realise that it's illegal to destroy someone else's property, but we all know how wilfully ignorant customers can be.

I don't suppose you know who it is?

Comment

That just beggars belief. I remember being a bridesmaid at a wedding where our dresses were hired, and I was so worried about spilling something on the dress or tearing it... wouldn't have dreamed of deliberately damaging it!
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
        That just beggars belief. I remember being a bridesmaid at a wedding where our dresses were hired, and I was so worried about spilling something on the dress or tearing it... wouldn't have dreamed of deliberately damaging it!
        We rented dresses and tuxedos 25 years ago now (damn it's been that long???) for my Mom's last wedding and if we had returned any of those damaged, you can bet that we would have been charged for the full cost of the item. They fitted the items to each person who was wearing either tux or dress, all we did was pick them up 2 days before the wedding(the Thursday before IIRC) and had them all returned the following Monday (wedding was on Saturday.)

And even if we were a day late returning the clothes, we would've been charged extra for that as well.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

some ambitious Mom or GF had cut off the pants and hemmed them herself
          There are guys who can sew. Just sayin'.

And who does that?!! Unclear on the concept of rented...?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth CrappyToHelp View Post
            What a stupid person. I would ask if people don't realise that it's illegal to destroy someone else's property, but we all know how wilfully ignorant customers can be.
            Apparently some people don't understand that renting isn't the same as owning. One of my friends works at a rent-to-own appliance store, and she had to make an appearance in court because one of their customers rented something and then turned around and sold it. And she says that's not the first time someone's done that.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I wonder why we even have places to rent tuxes in good old WisCANsin....

My groomsman (and all the others to boot) completely destroyed their rented tuxes at my friend's wedding in 09. I mean, not only were they all drunk, they brought out the pitchers of beer onto the dance floor with them and were acting such fools that they ripped their vests and arms of their tuxes. I would wager money they probably split their pants as well.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yeah, sounds like a Wisconsin wedding. Matching Carhartt jackets would be more apropos.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                X