Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quick victory for signs and common sense.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick victory for signs and common sense.

So as mentioned before, my store separates the cash lanes between crdit and debit only lanes (no cash) and lanes that will accept cash.
    Each credit and debit line has a sign above it indicating that they do not take cash.
    Simple, right?

A short victory for signs

Me: Hi there, are you paying credit or debit today?
    SC; Cash.
    Me: I'm sorry I can't accept cash here, only lanes 15 and over can." *points in the direction of the lanes that accept cash*..
    SC: Oh this is stupid. GET A DAMN SIGN, WOULD YOU!
    Me: *sickly sweet* The sign is directly in front of you." *points*
    SC: *grumble grumble huff huff. leaves defeated*

...and common sense
    This woman wasn't so much sucky as she was stupid and lazy.

At our store some items are in a separate, full-serve warehouse. In this case customers get a Cash and Carry form printed, bring it to the cash lanes to pay then retrieve the items from the Furniture Pickup counter.
    On the Cash and Carry forms it clearly says in bold, capitalised letters, "This booking is good for TODAY ONLY! Please pay at the cash lanes and pick up your merchandise at the FURNITURE PICKUP counter."

This woman approaches my lane with a cartload of merchandise and two Cash and Carry forms - one from the bedding department and one from kitchens.
    So I ring through all the items on the cart first (my first mistake) then go to start on the Cash and Carry orders.
    I type in the booking number for the first one and see that oops, "Your request cannot be processed."
    I try again, thinking I could have typed the number in wrong, since I type so quickly that's not an impossible scenario.
    Try again - nothing. Once more for luck - nothing.
    Shit.
    So I try the other Cash and Carry booking and the same thing happens.
    I explain to the customer the issue and tell her I'll have to cal upstairs to the respective departments and have them rebook the items for me, thinking that they did something wrong when they printed out the order. (also not uncommon)
    Then I notice it: these bookings are from LAST MONTH!

Me: These bookings are almost a whole month old.
    SC: I know.
    Me: The bookings are only good for one day.
    SC: What!? No they're not!
    Me: Oh but they are. See, it says it right here on the order in large bold letters.
    SC: Well how was I supposed to know that?
    Me: It says it on the order form.
    SC: And I'm expected to read this?
    Me: Well, yeah.
    SC: This is so complicated!

At this point she goes on some tangent about buying a new kitchen and having to pick up more items for it, being confused about the Cash and Carry process, how she missed her delivery, etc.

SC: Your store makes everything so complicated!
    Me: Well not really. If you read what's given to you it's pretty simple. You get the order and you pay for your items the same day then pick them up right after paying for them.
    SC: Why can't these things just be out with everything else?
    Me: *sigh* It's a space issue. Our Self Serve warehouse can only be so big so we mark certain items as Full Serve and store them in a separate warehouse so we can bring them to you.
    SC: Well that makes no sense.
    Me:

Eventually I got the booking orders sorted out and sent her on her merry way.
    She soon realised just how simple and logical the process is when I saw her leaving with all her items not 10 minutes later.

It says on my store's rainchecks, "Please present this raincheck to cashier BEFORE ITEM IS SCANNED." Yes, it really is in bold, italics, AND all caps. Is this enough for people? No, of course not. But hey, that means they get to wait while the raincheck items are voided off and the void overriden - just what you get for not reading.

I'm so sorry, though. Furniture pickups are a much bigger deal then sequence of items given to a cashier at a grocery store, so of course you get much more asshat-edness out of it.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      SC: And I'm expected to read this?
      Me: Well, yeah.
      SC: This is so complicated!
      Reading is Complicated.

Got it.

It isn't quite as catchy as "Reading is Fundamental," but it sure explains a lot of SCs.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Shengirl View Post
        It says on my store's rainchecks, "Please present this raincheck to cashier BEFORE ITEM IS SCANNED." Yes, it really is in bold, italics, AND all caps. Is this enough for people? No, of course not. But hey, that means they get to wait while the raincheck items are voided off and the void overriden - just what you get for not reading.

I'm so sorry, though. Furniture pickups are a much bigger deal then sequence of items given to a cashier at a grocery store, so of course you get much more asshat-edness out of it.
        I hate when customers give me rainchecks.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
          Reading is Complicated.

Got it.

It isn't quite as catchy as "Reading is Fundamental," but it sure explains a lot of SCs.
          More like "Reading is Fun-DUH-mental"...

I learned the hard way** that ship-to-home orders have to be paid the same day because at the end of the day they get cleared from the system if they aren't paid for. It wasn't in the training materials and it doesn't say anything on the order paper, but really, who'd think to order a book in the store to be shipped to your house (especially since usually people do this for the convenience factor), and then come back another day to pay for it?!

**meaning that I tried to ring it up and the order no longer existed, and it took a little bit to figure out why, not that I did this myself
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth disneyfav4ever View Post
            I hate when customers give me rainchecks.
            Understandable, but there are times when I have to use rainchecks. Forgive me?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

What exactly is a raincheck?

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
                What exactly is a raincheck?
                When the store runs out of a sale item and they give you a slip that is good for "X" amount at sale price, until Y date.

usually doesn't apply to items marked "Quantities Limited" or the like.
                Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Working...
                X