This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Hard Is It Too Say....

Thank you or please. My mother taught me to use my manners when i started walking, but these days peoples manners are going out the window where i work.

Today no less than at least 7 people dumped there stuff on my register when i was still serving my first customer (i'm on express, they have to wait to be called first) The express registers aren't very big, there's not alot of room, so when some moron puts their stuff up and it gets mixed up with my current customer problems can happen.

A woman comes storming up after i call her, i say hello, how are you? She says nothing and starts throwing her items on the counter, because she is throwing them some item roll off the counter and hit the floor, i'm trying to save the other items from hitting the floor too (she had a bottle of cream, that would have made a lovely mess)

I scan everything, tell her the total, throws money at me, i give change and she grabs her stuff and walks off. I'm pissed off so i yell at her "You're welcome" She turns and glares at me then walks out the door. Bitch

Then there's the smoke customers who expect me to know what they smoke, or what size packet they get, i got today a guy who said "Horizon" I stare at him waiting for him to elaborate.
    "Get me Horizon, you stupid girl"

"Horizon what? Red, blue, purple, orange, yellow , white or menthol?"
    "Purple"
    "50's, 30's or 20's?"
    "50's"

Is it that hard to just tell me that in the first place? And still not a please or thank you in sight.

Sorry for ranting, feelling a little hormonal today and cranky Hoping tomorrow is better. For all you people who don't use your manners watch out for this

I was lucky. My Mom was very insistent on manners when I was growing up, and when I hit my teens she reinforced it... it was WAY less embarrasing as a 13 year old to simply remember to say 'thank you' than have your mother prod you and say 'What do you say?' like you're five.

Her philosophy was if you acted five, you got treated five. It worked pretty well on me.

Now it's automatic. Even on my WORST DAY I will say 'Please' and 'Thank you' because it's ingrained so deep. Now, granted when I'm pissy and angry and self-absorbed I won't mean it, but at least it's there. Most of the time, I try and focus on smiling, making eye contact and meaning it when I say it. I figure if the store workers have to do that when I'm shopping, regardless of how crummy they feel, so do I. It helps a little, I think.
    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
      I was lucky. My Mom was very insistent on manners when I was growing up, and when I hit my teens she reinforced it... it was WAY less embarrasing as a 13 year old to simply remember to say 'thank you' than have your mother prod you and say 'What do you say?' like you're five.

Her philosophy was if you acted five, you got treated five. It worked pretty well on me.
      Are you sure your mom and mine aren't related? That was her favorite phrase, "if you want to act like a child, you'll be treated like one" - but between her and my grandmother, same thing, I ALWAYS said please, thank you, excuse me, held the door for adults, etc. I still say hello, and thank you, no matter WHERE i am, or what i'm doing. Its just something I do. I hate when you greet customers as they come into the store, and they ignore you. Now, sometimes, as i discover later, they may be hard of hearing, but for most of them, there just is no excuse.

Comment

I was raised to use good manners, open doors for people, say please, thank you, excuse me sir/ms could you please tell me where **** is. And I am sure as hell raising my kids the same way. My son is allready begining to use please and thankyou without having to be constantly reminded of the fact, my daughter tries (she is developmentally delayed on her speach). I believe that in order to combat the little things that bug the hell out of me I have to start at home.
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

SC's believe that good manners are a one way street: they can abuse you, the hapless employee, but you better damn well treat them like the Second Coming!!
          "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

I was taught manners and respect when I was younger. I still hold doors open for people, I say Please and Thank You
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I scan everything, tell her the total, throws money at me, i give change and she grabs her stuff and walks off. I'm pissed off so i yell at her "You're welcome"
              I have done this. It is universally ignored, in my experience. Sometimes when someone would completely ignore me and walk off, I would say in a perfectly normal voice, "Thank you and have a nice day" to no one in particular. Usually the next person in line and I would roll our eyes at each other and laugh.

I once had a woman say "Thank you" and since I was still sorting out the money/receipt it took me a couple seconds to respond. Not fast enough. She waited about 2 beats before she said, in a talking-to-a-five-year-old tone, "Now you say 'You're welcome'"...I just handed her her receipt and said "You're welcome" very pointedly and then looked at the next person in line.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
              X