Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fully admit I am a bratty customer when I see kids on heelies. I will glare at parents and make comments about
    Skates belong outside
    you have two feet use the to walk
    no wonder obesity is an issue in this country kids are lazy etc
    (oh on that last one - I am not tiny myself and only use it in resturants/ food courts)
    Hey when I am another customer . . .I can be a brat.

Comment

Quoth IHateStupidCustomers View Post
      In the first couple of weeks of my first job (Sears), I had a lady try to use an ATM card as payment, which we didn't take. There was actually one store in the mall that I know of that took ATM cards, I don't know how, but whatever. I didn't really know how to handle it. I said "we only take debit or credit cards, not atm cards." She says, "Isn't it a debit card." I say " No, debit cards have, like, a visa or mastercard logo on them." she responds "What??" I say "I would have to put it in a visa or mastercard." (not the best wording, but I didn't know how else to explain this.) She says okay. I say uhhhh...what? She says, "put it in as a mastercard or visa, I don't care which one."
      Thus my absolute incomprehension with the American banking system. In Canada, we have debit cards (which are good at ATM and in stores) and credit cards (Visa, MC, etc.). Never the twain shall meet I presented my debit card at a gas station in the US only to be told that my CREDIT card was over its limit and they'd have to cut it up.... I (with some urgency) pointed out to them that this was a Canadian debit card and that there was no VISA or MC logo on it anywhere, so please don't cut up the only card that allows me to access all my bank accounts LOL

One more reason I will *NEVER* move to the US.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post

Ridiculous lady: You know, many, many of my customers use the R word with me. I hear it all night long. But you, ridiculous lady, take the cake. You used it no less than 27 times during an 11 minute rant on my phone.
        That's ridiculous!
        Quoth tollbaby View Post
        told that my CREDIT card was over its limit and they'd have to cut it up.... I (with some urgency) pointed out to them that this was a Canadian debit card and that there was no VISA or MC logo on it anywhere, so please don't cut up the only card that allows me to access all my bank accounts
        Wow, their system must be really messed up to be being told that your card's over the limit. Not sure, but there must have been fun drugs involved at some point somewhere. Probably in the system set up.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
          I presented my debit card at a gas station in the US only to be told that my CREDIT card was over its limit and they'd have to cut it up....
          Why on earth would they cut up a card just because you've reached the limit? I mean, once you pay the bill you'll be able to... I don't know... use the card some more?! Egads.

Comment

The one advantage of a debit card with the VISA or Mastercard is that you can use it like a credit card in a store or restaurant that isn't set up to take PINs.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The reason that the US has mutli purpose card . . . (credit, debit, and atm in one) is some vendors still do not accept debit cards . . . same goes for credit cards. Ergo consumers need the option without having an extra card in their wallet.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                The one advantage of a debit card with the VISA or Mastercard is that you can use it like a credit card in a store or restaurant that isn't set up to take PINs.
                That's why I have a credit card. I just pay it as soon as I get home in that case.
                Quoth Emrld View Post
                The reason that the US has mutli purpose card . . . (credit, debit, and atm in one) is some vendors still do not accept debit cards . . . same goes for credit cards. Ergo consumers need the option without having an extra card in their wallet.
                How many people in the US have a debit card, but not a credit card? And is one more card really going to make that much of a difference? Sorry, but I really like the seperation provided in this case. I have my credit card, which I use for some things and certain situations, and I have my debit card, which I use for general spending. It's just as safe and secure as my credit card, but if something happens to it (lost, stolen, etc.) I just go down to any branch of my bank, I say "I need a new card" and I have one in 30 seconds.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  How many people in the US have a debit card, but not a credit card?
                  Bella only has a debit card. I think.

Up until the end of last October/beginning of November, I only had a debit card. Now I have both a debit card and a credit card.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Broomjockey - all I did was fill another poster in as to why US banking chose to use one card for three different purposes. I didn't state which way I like better. I didn't comment if it made sense to do it that way or not. I would not like to see this turn into an our way is better - no our way is better discussion.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      Thus my absolute incomprehension with the American banking system. In Canada, we have debit cards (which are good at ATM and in stores) and credit cards (Visa, MC, etc.). Never the twain shall meet I presented my debit card at a gas station in the US only to be told that my CREDIT card was over its limit and they'd have to cut it up.... I (with some urgency) pointed out to them that this was a Canadian debit card and that there was no VISA or MC logo on it anywhere, so please don't cut up the only card that allows me to access all my bank accounts LOL

One more reason I will *NEVER* move to the US.
                      It's not that hard to understand actually.

In 98% of the cases, debit cards (the cards with the visa or mastercard logo), in 98% of the cases, draw funds directly from a checking account. I've heard of one bank that issues debit cards for their savings accounts.

ATM cards can draw funds from either a savings or a checking account.

Usually if someone has an ATM card to use with their checking account, it's due to personal preference, or they belong to a ghetto bank that doesn't issue any debit cards, since most banks usually issue a debit card automatically with checking accounts.

In terms of the affiliation Visa or Mastercard have with bank debit cards, I'm not sure what that would exactly be. Since the funds are drawn directly from the bank accounts.

There are also debit cards, which are also credit cards. You can either draw funds from your checking account or from a credit balance.

I'd hazard a guess that the reason that the first person in the original post couldn't get a debit card from their bank was that they have extremely poor credit, so bad that she can't even get a checking account. No checking account, no debit card.
                      Last edited by LifeCarnie; 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM.
                      Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                        I presented my debit card at a gas station in the US only to be told that my CREDIT card was over its limit and they'd have to cut it up....
                        That guy was likely full of shit. I've never encountered a situation that involved being able to cut up a card without calling the bank, first.

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        How many people in the US have a debit card, but not a credit card?
                        A whole lot more than you think, obviously. I'm one of them. I have no use for a credit card when the only way I can get one is to pay an annual fee. Ain't gonna happen. (I blame Capital One and their abysmal record-keeping abilities for my current inability to get a credit card... I keep hearing they haven't gotten any better, too)

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
                        I'd hazard a guess that the reason that the first person in the original post couldn't get a debit card from their bank was that they have extremely poor credit, so bad that she can't even get a checking account. No checking account, no debit card.
                        Nice thought, but not necessarily. My brother doesn't have a debit card, and it has nothing to do with the state of his credit. There are still a lot of credit unions out there that don't offer any form of electronic banking options.

I like how so many people have bought into the idea that the only people who can't get/don't have credit/debit cards are because they're too poor/have bad credit.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Let's not forget the people who have had credit problems in the past, but now manage to have both a debit and credit card successfully.

I purposely have only an AMEX as my credit card, which forces me to pay it in full every month.

(Actually, it does have a revolving option on it, but I make myself ignore that fact. )
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                          X