This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Principle of In-dumb-nity.

Since my tales seem to be fairly amusing to at least a handful of people, I'll post a few more:

But I was on my way!

A few years back, we were having a hard time getting our insureds to pay their bills on time. It wasn't just an epidemic with the agency I worked for but company wide. So Corporate decided we were going to implement a new thing. Not only we were going to send out late payment, laspe and cancel letters were we now going to call for each letter we sent out.

Of course that was my job. Sometimes it was really an OOOPS. Most of the time I was calling the same people every single month. I felt like a baby sitter. Once I called, I made a note in their account as to what number I called and if I left a voice mail or not. So before each person's policy lapsed or cancelled they would have at least 3 phone calls and 3 letters.

One girl was notorious for having her policy cancel every couple of months. One day I called her and left her a voice mail stating we needed payment of $XXX.xx before March 3rd (or whatever) or her policy would lapse for non payment. I called her again after we didn't get the payment and told her her policy was out of force.

May 25th (or later date), I get a phone call from her. She'd just been in an accident. I know she's been cancelled, but in the event she payed by phone I pull up her account. Sure as shit, it's still out of force for the last 2 MONTHS. I tell her, no policy no coverage. She claims she never got the letters in the mail, and never got the voice mails , so I have her verify her address and phone number. Not suprisingly, nothing had changed.

She begs and pleads to have us cover the accident because in her words, "She was on her way to reinstate her policy."

What are you doing here?

Another Midwest story: I used to go to an "alternative/goth" dance club where some, uh, very alternative fetishs are on proud display. They even have a "stage" show, very niche. It was a place I went on a regular basis, so no biggie I love that place.

One night, I'm out with a group of friends at this club dancing and having a good time. I'm dressed in knee high boots, fishnets, the total opposite from what I looked like at work. I'm at the bar taking a birthday shot and being loud among my group of friends when I get a tap on the shoulder. I thought it was going to be a friend handing me a drink, but when I turned around, there stood Mrs. I-just-had-an-accident-with-no-insurance. And it was the day after I told her she wasn't covered.

All I could say was, "I hope you didn't drive here."

Twenty Oh Two

We had a woman who had an issue with her bill. I had to go back a few years in order to show her were things were going wrong. Instead of using the year Two-thousand-(and)-two, she kept using Twenty-oh-two or Twenty-oh-one. Which I thought were monetary amounts. I don't care how you pronounce the year, but if you're dealing with $ values, don't be a asshat and state the year as a dollar value. That conversation took a good hour.

SC: Forget about Twenty-oh-two. I'm talking about Twenty-oh-four.
    Me: Where are you getting those amounts?
    SC: Which amounts?
    Me: Twenty-oh-two and Twenty-oh-four.
    SC: Forget about Twenty-oh-two. I'm talking about Twenty-oh-four.
    Me: Where are you getting those amounts?
    *this is the song that never ends... yes it goes on and on my friend...*

Lions! And Tigers and Deers OH MY!
    Insd= Insured
    Drvr= driver

The best claim I ever had was for an auto accident. The report read like this:

Insd driving home from work. Insured hit deer. Deer did not have insurance.

Injuries: None
    Damage: Front panel drvr
    Fatalites: Deer

The next morning there was a voice mail for my boss that had me in tears. The insured SWORE up and down that my boss told him that if the deer did not have insurance, that deductible wouldn't apply to that claim!
    Last edited by Gothicsmurf; 04-30-2008, 02:28 AM. Reason: Added word so statement made sense
    You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

When I was taking credit card payments over the phone when I was with Sprint, I had a lot people give me expiration dates of "oh-Ten"

It's just TEN Nimrods! JUST freaking TEN!
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I was a Math major in college ... minors in Comp Sci and Physics. Numbers are, were, will be my life.

So, what some complete twitmaster reads 21.568 as "twenty-one point five-hundred and sixty-eight", I just want to strangle them. It's twenty-one point five six eight". MORONS.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Plus the fact that one is a letter, and the other is a number! It drives me nucking futs when Charles Osgood (CBS Sunday) morning says "two-thousand-oh-eight".
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I was driving through the Alps in Southern Germany a long time ago and a deer committed suicide by VW. It scared the bewhatzis out of us and was clearly dead. Nothing to be done (and it would have been difficult to visibly damage that particular VW any more than had already been done), so I just drove off. I was told that that was a good idea on my part, as the animal was probably part of a herd 'owned' by a gamekeeper and I would have had to pay for killing it. If you squint real hard, you can probably bend that around to mean that the deer was insured.

OK, maybe it was hit and run, but the deer was obviously psychotic and suicidal.

Comment

Quoth InsuranceGuru View Post
            Another Midwest story: I used to go to an "alternative/goth" dance club where some, uh, very alternative fetishs are on proud display.
            Really? In the Midwest? Of America?
            My wife's hometown threw a huge fit and petitioned when a Hot Topic was going in to the mall.
            I'm to understand in foreign countries (Germany was the one I heard about - from a German), there are bondage shops all over the place and no one cares.
            I'd love to live in a place where everything wasn't the biggest deal ever.
            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post

My wife's hometown threw a huge fit and petitioned when a Hot Topic was going in to the mall.
              Yes. There were quite a few for a while. Now I only know of the one. Well, I don't want to give away the city, but it was NorthWest of Chicago and had a Sainted Twin.

It was a pretty big city with a great night life scene interestingly enough. I'd say it was on par with Boston, save for the subway/ trains.

And Hot Topic would look like the Gap compared to what went on in that club.
              You don't know what Hades is until you've worked at least one Christmas Season in a toy store that offers free gift wrapping.

Comment

So, how did you know the deer wasn't insured? Some outfits will write a policy for anyone.

Mega-kudos to you for such an awesome reply to the woman in the club, too.
                Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                  So, how did you know the deer wasn't insured?
                  I didn't, but that's what the insured wrote in his written statement.

Quoth PuckishOne View Post
                  Mega-kudos to you for such an awesome reply to the woman in the club, too.
                  LOL It was a knee jerk reaction. She was the LAST person I expected to see there, and I'm sure she felt the same way.

Comment

Yes. There were quite a few for a while. Now I only know of the one. Well, I don't want to give away the city, but it was NorthWest of Chicago and had a Sainted Twin.

It was a pretty big city with a great night life scene interestingly enough. I'd say it was on par with Boston, save for the subway/ trains.

And Hot Topic would look like the Gap compared to what went on in that club.
                    oh, that took me way too long to figure out... and i'm sure that your mall has more than one hot topic...

oh and for those who are surprised to hear about it in the midwest... my coworkers go to a similar club... in Utah...

oh, and I have coworkers who also go to gay bars, strip clubs, and there is a fetish shop in the middle of historic Sugar House (and several in WVC... but that's WVC)
                    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                      So, what some complete twitmaster reads 21.568 as "twenty-one point five-hundred and sixty-eight", I just want to strangle them. It's twenty-one point five six eight". MORONS.
                      In my job I deal with a lot of various part numbers, and I get really irritated when people don't read numbers out correctly.

In my case, each number (and letter) should be read out individually.

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      Plus the fact that one is a letter, and the other is a number! It drives me nucking futs when Charles Osgood (CBS Sunday) morning says "two-thousand-oh-eight".
                      Well, at this point, it seems like "oh" is a lazy abbreviation for "aught." Of course, saying anything between the words "thousand" and "eight" are completely and utterly redundant, and incorrect. You would only use "aught eight" (or "oh eight") when you don't use the whole "two thousand" part.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                        You and I share the same aggravation on this issue, but I disagree with the intelligence factor, it's caused by base laziness at it's purest form.

It's easier to say "twenty oh two", than it is to say "two thousand and two". There's one less word and far fewer sylables in the first instance, look at all that work saved!

The worst instance of this abuse is phone numbers.

555-1212 becomes:

"Five million, five hundred fifty one thousand, two hundred and twelve."

0R

"Fifty five, five hundred and twelve, twelve." (This really has happened to me.)

Who gives phone numbers like that? Oh yeah....SC
                        Last edited by LifeCarnie; 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM.
                        Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          oh and for those who are surprised to hear about it in the midwest... my coworkers go to a similar club... in Utah...
                          The more sexually repressive the culture, the more likely you'll have underground clubs like that.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
                            My wife's hometown threw a huge fit and petitioned when a Hot Topic was going in to the mall.<snip>
                            I'd love to live in a place where everything wasn't the biggest deal ever.

we have a nice one here(several actually depends on your fetish and gender preference )-welcome to Wisconsin-it's too cold to care
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Insd driving home from work. Insured hit deer. Deer did not have insurance.

I suppose it would have been my job to collect from the deer's estate? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X