X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly does Dial up mean?

Me: of course me.
    SC: northwoods moron.

SC: We can't get our computer to connect to the internet.
    Me: Are you getting an error message at all?
    SC: Yes, it says "no dial tone".
    Me: Yes, that means the modem is not receiving a dial tone from the phone line. Do you have the cord plugged into the right port in back?
    SC: Cord? Whaddya mean cord?
    Me: The phone cord that runs from the wall jack to the back of the computer.
    SC: We need a phone cord plugged into the computer?
    Me: Yes.
    SC: Well we don't even have a phone jack in this room. How do we get one?
    Me: Um....call your phone company.
    SC: And they can install one for us?
    Me: I would sure hope so.

How do these people manage through daily life. I don't get it. Dial up.....I would seriously hope 99% of the population would know that in order to get Dial up internet, you need a phone line. grrrr.......morons!
    "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

*wonders if those people are still using two cans and a crummy piece of string*

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Apparently, this caller decided dial-up wasn't the way to go and he called me to get broadband.

Me: ... and finally, you'll need a cable modem.
      Caller: Naw, I already got cable.
      Me: You have a cable modem?
      Caller: I got cable running to the TV. I'll just hook it to the back of the computer instead.

I tried to explain the concept of a cable modem, but I couldn't get it across. Then I thought I had a clever way to explain it, but instead outsmarted myself and stepped right into quicksand.

Me: You have a digital box for one of your TVs. Think of a cable modem as a digital box for your computer.
      Caller: Aw, basic cable internet is enough for me right now. Maybe I'll want the digital stuff later. Right now, I'm pretty new at this stuff.
      Me: I'd have never guessed.
      I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Wow, apparently when cable morons let loose, they really let us have it! My condolences, my friends.
        The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

thats hilarious TNT......well for us. For you, I'm sure it was frustrating as hell. I seem to always get frustrated when I try to explain something and they just don't get it. Probably because I know they'll be calling back.....and will most likely get me again.
          "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

some people should not be allowed to have technology beyond a pair of tin cans with a string...my poor head.
            look! it's ghengis khan!
            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth TNT
              Apparently, this caller decided dial-up wasn't the way to go and he called me to get broadband.

Me: You have a digital box for one of your TVs. Think of a cable modem as a digital box for your computer.
              Caller: Aw, basic cable internet is enough for me right now. Maybe I'll want the digital stuff later. Right now, I'm pretty new at this stuff.
              Me: I'd have never guessed.
              For next time, since knowing the people who call, there will always be a next time, you can explain it in TV terms and tell them that their computer is not cable-ready. If they are old enough, they will remember when you needed a box for even the most basic cable.

ETA: I can't believe TV manufacturers still use "cable-ready" as an advertising ploy. Do they even still make TV's that aren't cable ready?
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth protege
                *wonders if those people are still using two cans and a crummy piece of string*

Actually, I think they're using smoke signals.

*takes Daphne and crawls back under her rock*
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Phone Jockey
                  Wow, apparently when cable morons let loose, they really let us have it! My condolences, my friends.
                  We really should up the voltage on the electric fence, maybe up the amperage too so they remember. I think they're getting used to it.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Banrion

ETA: I can't believe TV manufacturers still use "cable-ready" as an advertising ploy. Do they even still make TV's that aren't cable ready?
                    Well, I know that a couple of years ago they still did. Before I moved all of my stuff was packed and shipped and I still had basic cable so I wanted to buy a small tv to watch while I cleaned up. I found one 13in at Walmart for $20 and was about to buy it but something told me to check first and I looked at the back of the display and it wasn't cable ready. (I guess that's why it was $20 and all the cable ready one's were $40)

Comment

Quoth Banrion
                      Watch The Price is Right. They still say "Brand new color TV".

Comment

Quoth Tria
                        Watch The Price is Right. They still say "Brand new color TV".
                        ....and according to Dane Cook, they still give away 1978 Chrysler LeBarons
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth NightWolf
                          thats hilarious TNT......well for us. For you, I'm sure it was frustrating as hell. I seem to always get frustrated when I try to explain something and they just don't get it. Probably because I know they'll be calling back.....and will most likely get me again.
                          In the call center where I work, they recently installed some new technology that sends the caller to the same rep if they call back the same day. While this is great if you've got a scammer who thinks they can get thier way with a different rep, it's a pain in the ass when you get one of these idiots on the line who just can't wrap thier small minds around what you're trying to tell them. Lucky for me, we have three different levels of reps (I'm a 2) and if they aren't "getting it" with me, I'll send them to a level 3.....and they wonder why I don't want to go through level 3 training.......<sigh>

Comment

Quoth Titi
                            I found one 13in at Walmart for $20 and was about to buy it but something told me to check first and I looked at the back of the display and it wasn't cable ready. (I guess that's why it was $20 and all the cable ready one's were $40)

It must have been made in Elbonia..........

Comment

Quoth Pinkie
                              Lucky for me, we have three different levels of reps (I'm a 2) and if they aren't "getting it" with me, I'll send them to a level 3.....and they wonder why I don't want to go through level 3 training.......<sigh>
                              Is sending them to level three the same as sending them to the Disturbed Ward in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?
                              Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                              X